Whats not wrong with EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rhymez Thebard, May 16, 2014.

1. Rhymez Thebard Elder

To many "this is broke/dumb post" lately. The goal is to post with 3 things you currently enjoy or have noticed as positive changes.

1. Useful Anniversary mission rewards (gingerbread familiar that makes food last longer is huge).

2. Cotf rares. What makes them great is that you can keep them and pass them on to lower toons after you out grow them (Echo of Anger for bards again yay).

3. The Player Studio.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

There have been some recent UI changes that are great. Clicking and hotkeying items from bags. Bazaar search/buy from anywhere. Parcel system. Remove augs without an aug pool, etc.

Free to play brought a bunch of people back to EQ.

Paragon rewards for level 75 characters were a much-needed gap filler.
  3. Rhymez Thebard Elder

Not being sarcastic. Just trying to see what other people like about EQ atm.

I'm a huge fan of the /useitem command also :)
    Gyurika Godofwar and suka like this.
  4. Weebaaa Augur

Offline trader is definitely hot
    Auto combine is super cool

And I felt the changes to beaming and swarming were done well. I feel it restored the integrity to those classes
    (really, not trying to derail)
    Gyurika Godofwar and suka like this.
  5. Sinestra Augur

Except they left it broken rather than fixing it properly.
  6. SaderakhBertox Augur

I like the staggered release of content. I think getting a chunk of content and then having some months to wait for more is better than having it all at once, consuming it, and waiting another 11 months for more. It also probably helps to keep people sub'd throughout the year. It also gives the Devs smaller chunks of bugs to work on. Yes I am aware of the changes coming. I really hope we don't see a sizable chunk of the population consume the entire expac quickly, and then stop sub'ing until the next big release.

I like that there is interaction with the Dev team on the forums, and that interaction can create real and meaningful change within the game.

I like fellowships / campfires. We can organize quickly, in part due to campfires and having multiple binds to port to, oh and talk about the non-members in our group without having to use tells or create yet another channel. It's just there.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Tearsin Rain Augur

top 3 things not wrong with EQ:

1. it has the best mechanics structure and overall core gameplay elements of any MMO - just in how the flow of the game works, the way combat feels, the ground-up functional design of how PCs interact with the world and with combat.

2. it's pretty much the only game in existence where there seems to always be *something* to do after you've done everything that's useful to do.

3. every time elidroth slaps down some moronic player request, my eyes get misty and my pants get tight. playing this game is worth it for that alone.
  8. Crystilla Augur

I just learned about the /useitem feature this week (thanks to whoever made that video and got it in front of me!).

I love the variety of things to do in this game. Even when certain areas are "light" I can go focus on a different area. (This is from someone who purposely does not consume content as soon as it comes out, I savor it).

Heroic characters - just a great way to bring people in/back and get folks trying out new classes

UI and game enhancements over the years - clicking inside of bags, extended target window, aggro meter, etc.

Spells/AA's - there have been some truly great ones

Clickies - there's always something new

The players themselves - both friends I've made in game, those making Player Studio items, those who keep up the UI's on EQInterface, those who keep hosting fan information sites and so on.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Baramos Augur

Right now, everything. No kidding. 15 years of omg.
    Tearsin Rain and Feradach like this.
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

1. The diversity of classes - What other game has Bards, Enchanters, three very different pet classes, tanks and healers with plenty in between?

2. Class balance is very good, considering the diversity and complexity.

3. Having so many spells, abilities, and clickies that the player is forced to choose among, allows great players to excel, and allows a variety of play styles even within a class.

4. The community of players is second to none.

5. The world is vast, varied, and intelligently designed. (How did they manage to plant a tree in the path between every two points in a zone?)

6. Downtime to meet and chat with your group mates, forming bonds of friendship and community.

7. About as far from pay-to-win as you'll find in an MMO today.
  11. Ozni Elder

Agreed with what others have said about UI changes - things like aggro meter and extended target are beyond convenience, they fundamentally change the way you interact with the game in a way that's wholly good (IMO).

Classic models - I love that we still have the option to turn these off/on, even at the level of individual races, as well as velious armors.

Sprawling content - As players we often can get the sense that our goal should be rushing to max level ASAP. I really like that we have the ability to completely ignore this, and take it slow in classic areas. You can still do old quests, and if you have a modicum of self-control (which I usually don't), you can ignore things like mercs and defiant gear and make modern Everquest just as brutal as you remember it.

Server variety - If you want to do more grouping at relatively lower levels, you can roll on Vox. If playing the bazaar is your thing, there's FV. If you want to go full-on Jeremiah Johnson mode and do your own thing without being bothered, you have Trakanon. And if you want endless plat for vendor stuff like spells but don't care about a booming economy, there's Test. It seems like Test is viewed at times like some kind of den of freeloaders, but I often find myself playing there even with a gold sub. You have endless plat for spells, the players are extremely generous, the chat is often lively, and you can boost yourself to 25 with maxed skills and just jump right in. But I love that we have these options and differences even between standard ruleset servers.
  12. Amor Augur

When I still played EQ the number one for me was large scale raiding.

The Necromancer class

Only things it had for me
  13. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

1. No required money sinks like armor repair. Never cared for trade skills, never needed to farm plat.
    Mercs upkeep cost plat, but it's dirt cheap compare to what split and selling trash to clear bags gets you.
    2. The older player demographic.
    3. Parts of the game that aren't aimed at casuals. (as rare as they are)
  14. Ravengloome Augur

Yeh I didn't feel the same when he slapped Necromancers with the Deathbloom nerf.

However I'll agree with you beyond the scope of that. Eli and Dzarn are probably my favorite devs.

Also I am going to agree with Ozni on the classic models part. I still use them, the day its no longer an option, probably the day I retire lol.
  15. Rauven Augur

1. I don't feel pigeonholed into zones. From 1-75 there's literally dozens of dozens of ways to do it. You can go to probably 10 different zones for each level bracket. Even when it starts to slow down after 75, there's still multple zones to go through.

2. Diversity of classes. I like that many classes play differently from another. And they all perform a couple of roles in group. If you put a 6 man group together on Monday the one you put together on Wednesday will be different and run the content differently.

3. Slower pace. This attribute would be the CON and downfall of any thing else that tried it. But it works in EQ. I can join a group and even playing a tank or puller is far more laid back than anything in any other game. I can eat and drink while playing without feeling like I'm holding my group back. This has the downside of making the game a little bland at times. But when I feel like being lazy, I can login and still get something done. Couldn't hurt to spice up some of the named encounters though.
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

To me this is pretty big. I would rather argue with an adult acting like a child than a child acting like a child! :D
  17. Fendy Augur

Hey! Who ya calling old? /speeds away on his hoveround (provided at no cost to me!)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

1. Dzarns Raids
    2. Guide Ornamentation rewards (Karnor's Raid last weekend was FAB)
    3. Hero's journey
    4. Epic Aug Quests
  19. Battleaxe Augur

1. The differences and quality of the new player experience in the original starting cities/the noobie quests.

2. Learning how to solo, especially with a class that's not good doing it.

3. Learning how to group.

4. Raiding.

5. Finding a "place" for your character in the game.

6. Raids where devs set aside making them as difficult as possible thinking that makes things fun ("white knuckle" gameplay is not fun for everybody - I hope that's not news) and they actually create a fun experience. Moar please.
  20. Weenukes New Member

I like this thread a lot.

I love the....
    -Quest tracking system. It's not awesome but its helpful.

-Grouping with people you meet in general and forming friendships. I've met some really awesome people from random grouping sessions. I'll be boxing in some zone see that someone is LFG and drop a box and start grouping with them. Next thing you know we're downing namers together and it feels good.

-Heroic characters. I don't personally have one as I declined in logging on to get my free one, but I can totally see where they help our community.

The list goes on for me but that's good for now I think.