What's a good solid overall buff class and which race plays best with it?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by jmsnclr, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jmsnclr New Member

I've played other MMORPGs and I usually settle on a support class. I'm a casual player. Like most people I have a job, family etc so while I like playing I don't want to spend over a year getting to endgame content only to figure out THEN :mad: that I could have done things different. What would be the best overall race/class for group support in EQ? I know, I know everyone will say it depends on what you want to do and that by the time you hit endgame it won't matter which race. I don't wish to be a main healer either. Like I said I like the support/buff classes. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)
    [IMG]
  2. Treiln Augur

Honestly does depend on what you wanna do.

Bard - support: low overall damage but increases the damage, healing, mitigation of others in your group. Good crowd control.

Druid - support: heals, buffs, ports, evacs, and decent damage - synergizes well with caster classes

Shaman - support: heals, buffs, slows, decent damage. Melees best friend (buff line/combat proc)

Enchanter - support: CC kings. Buffs focus around increased mana and mana regeneration. Good haste. Not sure if you want to count runes as buffs, but can stack multiple runes = large damage absorb shields more or less. And people say Enchanters do not have all that great of dps..but that's because they don't play one properly ;)

Out of this group, Enchanters have the highest learning curve...but imo also have the highest pay off as well.
    jmsnclr likes this.
  3. slayerofbats Augur

Only really Bard and Ench would work. The 3 healers have great buffs but you would be expected to be the group healer sometimes because all of them can be the main healer, especially in the higher levels when their heals start to catch up with the Cleric. Bard and Ench have strong buffs but they are also required to support with mezzes and sometimes pulling and some other stuff. If you are new to the game, I would suggest taking a dps because the support classes are actually quite hard to play at first and you have to play it well or people die.
    jmsnclr likes this.
  4. jmsnclr New Member

ok, thank you for responding guys. Appreciate it. Yeh, I've been running around the tutorial area and it seems that, at least at lower levels, the dmg output is minimal. I've been reading that Necro or Magician is the way to go for solo because of pets. You're basically a 3 man team with a mercenary. I guess I'll get a good feel for the mechanics of the game before trying a support role. Again, thanks for responding!
    slayerofbats likes this.
  5. Yruc Augur

If you are looking for a support class that can solo, I would recommend the druid. The druid can solo well with root / rot or kiting especially in the lower levels..

With mercs getting to 60 is pretty simple, get the tank merc and heal them. After 60 the tank merc can't tank as well and soloing becomes harder / slower. Look for a guild that helps new / returning players, there are a few of them out there.

As for race, if you are playing on live pick what looks best because it really doesn't matter. About the only place where race matters is in the old world (Classic / Kunark eras) where being the wrong race will get you killed (faction)

If you are playing on a TLP server then race matters a bit more depending on where the server is in releases - Agnarr - only in Kunark so race matters - Phinigel and earlier - they are past Luclin so race not a real factor here.

Also if you pick a race and you don't like it, you can buy a race change potion from the DB store.
  6. Bigfan Augur

if you want a solid buff class, that can solo.

Beastlord, with healer merc, you can have 3 lines of buffs on you.

Beastlord hp buff (shaman type) is only 1 hp less than shaman highest hp buff.
    beastlord also gets secondary buff.
    Can haste, can do loads of other things.

And can solo like crazy.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. Skewert Lorekeeper

Regardless of class you choose, if you can be an Ogre, be an Ogre. One of their racial traits is immunity to melee stun from the front, and it's unique compared to any other race. This is assuming you don't really care too much about appearance, or like the way the Ogre looks (I personally don't care).

Beastlord is a good three-man team with a merc, and they can be an Ogre :) Shaman is a good choice too, but you'll probably be healing a lot in groups.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Aside from Ogres and those thieving Halflings, the racial benefits of the various races eventually get mooted after you get enough levels. Two honorable mentions would be Iksars (Regen & AC) and Trolls (Regen).