what will you play on the pvp tlp?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RABKkehhalla, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triconix Augur

Seeing how he couldn't figure out how to move /randoms to a different out-of-view window/tab and therefore wanted it removed from game, I very much doubt he could PVP his way out of a wet paper bag, let alone "destroy" anyone.
    jiri_, Skuz and code-zero like this.
  2. jeskola pheerie

https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/50655-legal-ramifications-of-running-a-private-server-101/
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. HekkHekkHekk Augur

[IMG]
  4. Atomos Augur

The EULA and TOS literally do not matter except for within the company's holdings. It gives the company the right to terminate anyone's use of their products and ban them from participating in them ever again. It does not give them the right to sue and that is why you can't tell me a single time that someone's ever been sued over the EULA/TOS.

What does give them the right to sue, or at the very least send a C&D (which time and time again is nothing more than a scare tactic that many people succumb to, when a great deal of them have been ignored and nothing even happens) is when a private server is uploading game/company assets. In that moment, they are copying and sharing copyrighted material.

They can also sue if any money is being made because it can be seen as damages to the company.

The single time that anyone was ever sued over a private server, the person in question was making millions of dollars off of it and failed to appear in court, which caused the court to default. It was not because they were violating the EULA/TOS.
  5. clacbec New Member

i ll play druid as 90 % of the solo gamers coming in
  6. clacbec New Member

enable the killings of bots
  7. clacbec New Member

make em lootable from gms playing the game
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Literally made me LOL.
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

You seem to have missed the part where Daybreak is allowing P99 to continue to exist. Why do you think there are ample P99 posts on the OFFICIAL Everquest subreddit?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you missed the part where I said in a previous post that having the permission of the owner of the code does make it legal. And in fact it goes to show that you can't just make a private server on your own without taking risks.
  11. Atomos Augur

To my knowledge, the only emulators that have ever used stolen code were Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, and in both situations it was an EMPLOYEE that gave the code away, and in both situations it was after the official game servers had been shut down.

Perhaps what is being misunderstood or not known here is that there are many different ways to write code to perform the same function. 10 different people could write it 10 different ways.

Stolen server code is not at all the standard for private server emulators. It's certainly not something that I condone even in the situation with SWG and CoH, although I'd still have to applaud those folks for making those experiences available again, especially out of their own pockets. Outside of those outliers, emulators are written from the ground up, just like the original developers had to do. It's two different server software structures performing the same functions but written by different people, who probably spent an equal amount of time doing so.

And it's not illegal. It might be against the EULA/TOS. But it's not copyright infringement to write or even share emulators. The copyright infringement happens the moment you share the original client or server software with another person. Any private server serious about continuing to operate either tells players to use their own client or find it themselves and does not upload the client to anyone, or operates their servers in countries where sharing assets is legal or laxed.

The ridiculous attempt posted above where someone asked if it was OK to operate their server as long as all the money went to charity was absurd. That is still income that the private server has produced, and is therefore seen as DAMAGES to the company. Any of that income that does not go directly to the company is damages. If your server is producing income and you want to send it somewhere, maybe send it to the company that owns the game.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Employees don't have the right to give away code and it doesn't matter if the game is shut down or not.
    Machen likes this.
  13. Atomos Augur

Correct, which is why no one would ever claim otherwise. You've however made it sound as if private server devs are just going around and stealing server code, lol, which isn't happening.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

How can you setup an eq server using eq graphics and engine and lore etc w/o permission from DBG but think that's perfectly OK and legal? Will you get sued? Probably not, but you're using their intellectual property w/o their permission. What do you call taking someone else's commercial product and using itto setup your own without their permission if not stealing?
    Machen, Triconix and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering P99 made a deal with Daybreak to get permission to run their servers like they are I think you might be wrong. Besides even if they are given the code by a rogue employe or other source they are still stealing it.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  16. Triconix Augur

Because... reasons!

Seriously every post he makes I seriously question if he's just the ultimate troll or truly has no clue what he's talking about. You literally cannot have an EQ server without somehow acquiring their copyrighted artistic material LET ALONE the myriad of other things that DPG has exclusive rights to.

If I build a game from scratch and simply take names, places, etc that match EQ, I'm stealing their IP. This guy doesn't understand that. It's like making a sneaker and calling the brand Nike and thinking it's legal. Absolutely clueless.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  17. Atomos Augur

You are allowed to do whatever you want with the files on your computer, as long as you aren't breaking the law. You can move them, edit them, delete them, and have a backup of them, but you cannot share them. Using the EQ client to connect to a non-official server is not breaking the law. It is breaking the EULA/TOS. The EULA/TOS is not law. The only way using the EQ client is illegal is if you are using a copied version, a version that you did not get directly from the company. Most private servers do not send you the client for that very reason, and most MMOs have their client readily downloadable for free anyway. You can download EQ without ever having paid a cent, for example, so only in specific cases would anyone ever need to get files from elsewhere anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

In the late 90s, a Playstation was developed, Sony tried to sue, and lost. Funny story, one of the people involved with the project later worked for Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online among others.

Emulators are not illegal. Using the client to connect to a server of your choice is not illegal.

Sending the client to someone is illegal. Making money off of it is illegal.

I think there's just a large lack of understanding of how online computer programs work and how they are structured. Unfortunately I've already explained it earlier so if you still don't understand it, you're probably not going to. I think there are still people who think when you're playing Everquest, the graphics are being sent through the internet back and forth between all the clients...lol.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sharing copyrighted files with others still violates copyright even if you purchased the right to those files. And as has been said there is a big difference between the people connecting to a private server and those who are running it.
  19. Atomos Augur

I know the specifics regarding EQEmu and DBG. They were basically told that they could do it as long they didn't make money off of it, but the moment they did that, they would shut them down.

Only in extremely rare circumstances has actual stolen code been used to operate a private server. That is not the standard for private servers, and is not what we're talking about here.

The standard is a completely new from the ground up server.

You can download the EQ client for free from DBG. You can then lawfully change it to connect to any server you want. It is against the EULA/TOS, not the law.
  20. Atomos Augur

Correct, sharing copyrighted files with others violates the copyright.

Which is why most private servers don't do that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.