what will you play on the pvp tlp?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RABKkehhalla, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjutsuMMO Augur

It’s not like people stay on the majority of these TLP’s anyways but they keep making them, at the very least it’s something new to try and it would please a certain democratic to say the least.

Also I don’t understand why people use zek as a reference to gauge pvp interest when it’s well known people come and go from EQ over the years and starting over again on a seasoned server can be daunting especially a pvp server.
    It’s no wonder people aren’t interested in zek or even blue servers and prefer a new start with everyone on the new tlp servers when they come out.
  2. Nolrog Augur

Especially when they had that big "let's show them we want a new PvP server by logging into Zek at this time" and very few showed up.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What would you like to see used to gage interest in a pvp server besides the only pvp server in the game?
  4. Machen New Member

I get the argument, but these are TLP forums. This question is like asking, "What would you like to see used to gauge interest in a tlp server besides how much time people on live spend in classic zones?" EQ pvp now is night and day 100% different than eq pvp on a TLP would be. The single biggest factor is instancing. Instancing killed eq pvp. About the time Gates+ hit, every pvp server plummeted in population, because the whole point of eq pvp is open world competition with other players over everything, and if you can hide in instances to get all your stuff done, there's no longer any point.

I odn't think an eq tlp would ultimately be successful--pvp was always just a fraction of the population, maybe 10% at best during the heyday. And I get why the management of eq points to zek as an excuse. But we've had a free trade server now, which was never more than 5% of the population. Maybe it's time to try pvp. If nothing else, it will be something new.
    Tanar likes this.
  5. Machen New Member

I do think the lack of pnp and "dps rules" over the past few years will actually help make a pvp server more successful. The biggest problem on the pvp servers was blue players who didn't get the point, whining, "It's not fair! They took my camp!" I was one of those for the first few months of playing on pvp in 1999. Thankfully I stuck around and learned to have a thicker skin. Most players don't. But when you are accustomed to having people allowed to come take your camp via dps race, might makes right, you are 90% of the way to getting the pvp mentality.
  6. Machen New Member

Here is my suggestion for pvp tlp.

No aoc's, ever.

All bosses spawn in pickzones, but only after you've held it open long enough for them to spawn. EG 2.5 days for Naggy.

If you are killed via pvp in a zone, you are unable to zone back in to that pickzone for the next 6 hrs. If you are killed in a second pickzone of the same zone within that same 6 hr window, you can't zone into the zone at all for six hours.

Add a few very minor pvp specific revamps for the early eras. Snare and root should have roughly 20% chance to land on an average resist toon, down to about 10% for someone in bis gear, closer to 50% for someone with no gear.

No customer service, training is legal, ala SZ.

Teams or no teams doesn't matter, as long as everyone has access to all classes.

Make it so ae spells don't hit your guild members.

This server won't be for everyone, but it will be popular enough to sustain a solid population until instancing ruins everything in Gates.

Edit to add -- no random or extra loot. You want loot, you fight for it. FV rules are fine though, especially if you add loot 1 item on a kill.
  7. Boogatti Lorekeeper

There's a small subset of resident-forum "players" that are against pvp. I don't understand it. Maybe they want a job as a GM or something and would hate to be in a dynamic world that has pvp. I'll never understand the naysayers.
  8. Boogatti Lorekeeper

it's just a little odd. Like if you aren't interested you don't have to play there. Unless you a krono-farmer who relies on the seasonal TLP...
  9. Boogatti Lorekeeper

Anyhow, I've pvp'd on a bard for a number of years and had a blast. It's like playing as a mosquito; constantly flying by and trying to chip away.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As you said pvp is always a small percentage of the population and the people asking for a server appear to be small in number as well so what do you suggest they do to verify that there are enough players to start one? You also said that instancing killed eq pvp so why try to start a new pvp server in a game where it is dead or will die off as the server progresses?

What would you suggest for gaining confidence that a pvp server would not be a waste of time? And I don't think making a server that will die off once a certain expansion hits is a good use of time.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not being able to rez back in to your camp? Not being able to rejoin your group? Sounds like you are trying to kill the server before it even starts by creating new ways for griefing to occur.
  12. RABKkehhalla Elder

If you want to work for Darkpaw, just apply. This thread wasn't created for Krono farming seasonal tlp players. It was created to discuss pvp and class dynamics for the pvp tlp.
  13. Kobra Augur

The problem with EQ pvp is the amount of hacking that goes unchecked. The amount of times I ran into people blatantly hacking made me give up on the concept.

If you have to cheat to be competitive then that ruins the entire experience. People who pvped know this is the case that is why there is no interest. It has nothing to do with class balance or if EQ pvp is fun. Blame the people who cheat for ruining the perception of EQ pvp being not fun.
  14. RABKkehhalla Elder

People cheat in pve constantly to make "world records". It will always occur at this point. If your playing this game still after 20 years and still find enjoyment, that's all that matters.
  15. jiri_ Augur

16. RABKkehhalla Elder

Lol okay you guys win. Let's go do some plane of sky.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  17. Boogatti Lorekeeper

I would have alot of fun, personally, on the pvp tlp. It would be a server only for the most hardcore who are looking for a challenge. Even if there wasn't a massive population it would be even better because there wouldn't be a Zerg to deal with. People would have to clear content with smaller amounts of people for once. Count me in.
  18. Atomos Augur

Why aren't you already playing on a private PVP server? The option for old school PVP is already there, yet you don't play it. You can choose between P99 Red and Rise of Zek. The 10 or less people who have been asking for a PVP TLP for the past 6 years don't make up enough people to warrant a server. Even the Devs tell you that you don't have the numbers and you still don't listen. The only way for you to play old school EQ PVP is through private servers.
  19. Gnothappening Augur

EQ PVP TLP. We thought Karendune was bad, but can you imagine the QQ on the forums when some guy rolls in with 12 necros and starts destroying players?
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Tanar Lorekeeper

Dots are eZ to debuff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.