What version of the game should i try?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by FamousOnChains, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FamousOnChains New Member

Hey there. This is my first time playing Everquest (like ever) and i kinda want to get the original feel of the game (back when everyone used to play it). I heard some talk that some servers are different versions of the game and my question is which server better captures the original feel of the game?
    Thank you a lot guys.
  2. Dredlox Elder

If you want the actual original feel then I'd have to suggest http://www.project1999.com/. It's an server and they do a good job of maintaining most of the integrity of old school eq.

As far as the other, the TLPs, Ragefire and Lockjaw are progression type servers that are in original EQ now and will unlock expansions as time goes by. They are no where near original eq as far as exp gains or spells, or even class power but give you a stable option if you don't like type servers.

Project'99 would be the free option while the TLPs require subscription so for the most original feel, I'd go project'99, for semi classic feel and a crapload of drama, I'd go TLP.
  3. FamousOnChains New Member

I have heard of it, guess i'll try that then. Do you have experience in that server, is it good? (only making this question because sometimes serves can be really bad)
    Also what does TLP stand for? (sorry for all the questions). I think i'll try a bit of Ragefire and Lockjaw before going to P1999.
    Thank you a lot for answering.
  4. Dredlox Elder

Time locked progression and yes I have played both. P99 has probably been one of the most stable servers I've played on and has a healthy population for the amount of content it has. As for the TLPs, it's dwindling now but there are still more people than the content allows which stirs the pot but ragefire is releasing kunark soon (hopefully) which will alleviate some of it.

I just suggested it because it's free and will give you an actual sense of what original eq was like unlike the TLPs where you will see multiple mage armies and boxing crews running around because of class balance issues. Not that boxing didn't take place in eq, just not as apparent as it is now is all.
  5. FamousOnChains New Member

Thanks a lot.
    I just have 2 more questions:
    - What is time locked Progression? (again i never played EQ so yeah)
    - Any tips for starting out?
    Once again a huge thanks for all the info
  6. Weverley Augur

He forgot to told you that you need an original version of the game to install p1999.It's call titanium and apart from peer to peer server you gonna have a difficult time finding a copy.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. FamousOnChains New Member

Peer to peer? That's not a problem i can find a way.