What to look for in gear for War

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by kinadafz, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

I've generally looked for AC>hp>sta or agi

I'm sure I'm wrong.

What should I be looking for in terms of upgrades?
  2. p2aa Augur

As you are level 105 and doing group content, you need to insert Heroic in your equation.
    AC has lost his value in modern content, HP is probably better now.
    As you do group content, the king heroic stat for you is Hdex.
    I would go Hdex > HP > AC > Hsta > Hagi
    By Sta and agi, if you mean the regular stats, they are irrelevant now. We are maxed on normal stats.
    So type 5 aug go for Hdex ones
    Type 7/8, go for AC augs with HP and HDex. From memory, all AC augs with Hdex have HP (bar the 52 AC aug in TDS don't recall the name so skip this one). Start first with EoK Hdex aug augs > 45 AC, and fill the rest with older Hdex aug you can find. Lot of choice of AC aug with Hdex and HP, and who are > 40 AC, so won't be a problem to fill all your slots.
  3. fransisco Augur

When you say ac has lost value, is that for group gear lvls of ac, or raid gear lvls of ac?
  4. kinadafz Augur

As I figured, I chose wrong on all my heroic augs. I chose the Hagi ones on all of them for my war, and the Hstr/Hdex ones for my zerker / monk.

Back in my day, dex meant procs / crits, nothing with mitigation. Shoulda done my homework I guess

They are still nice augs, but I'll slowly start replacing them with hDex ones. And, now I know when comparing the 10 different rings out there that all look identical, well, i'll shoot for the hDex / HP ones first.
  5. Phrovo1 Augur

it's less mitigation and more defensive checks where dex is concerned.
  6. Treiln Augur

This. hStr and hDex are wonderful for your melee toons. I recently came back to the game and have been playing an SK. The unanimous vote for rule of thumb is: hDex for group content, and hAgi for raiders. I have a few hAgi augs, but most of them are hDex and it does wonders.
  7. HULKMAN Lorekeeper

AC, HP , AGI and STAMINA is all good

But the real question is . You need to learn all your special abilities and know when to use them.

Warrior is purely a situational character. You need to know how to react to the situation and demands of the group .

This is when you will have full control over your warrior
  8. kinadafz Augur

I box 5 characters. My control is "single pull the named and tank him".

If I get adds, I die most the time. I'm ok with this as I'm not hardcore, don't get mad or upset. I just campfire back, wait for merc to come alive, res, then try again.

I don't bother being good and stressing between all the accounts, just mash a hotkey on each one on occasion to do more damage.

So, for my tank, it's Final Stand or whatever the upgraded version is called on all named, or, if I pull 3, then I use it then also.

otherwise, it's pretty much just keep agro.

Depending on the content I can handle 2 mobs using different abilities, but that all depends on the content. Easier content I can handle 3 with different abilities, but it's such a crap shoot with my merc healing me, it's just easier to take an additional 20 seconds to mitigate the count coming to camp and kill then to get greedy and try to take on more than I can handle.

so ya, I know what you are saying Hulkman, and I used to be that way back when he was around lvl 70. There is too much to learn all at once right now, so experience is my learning curve atm...and the fine people of the forums.

With that being said. Can I re-do my heroic augs on my war to get the +dex ones instead of the +agi ones?

I won't bother on melee toons, mix of dex/str is good enough for them.
  9. daranged Lorekeeper

I have a group war lvl 105 use all hagil and have no problem tanking anything
  10. fransisco Augur

I Was under the impression that only raid tanking warriors should choose hagi.
    In the group game, hdex gives more defense. However in raids, heroic strikethrough is so high it overcomes the gains from hdex, thus making hagi better while raiding.
  11. arsenil Lorekeeper

i tank both raid and group content and myself i go with AC>HP>HAGI>HSTA... gives me lots of ac hp and avoidance to tank most anything and have no problems unless i miss a click at a bad time
  12. kinadafz Augur

I'm looking for more auto mode tanking gear. I read a couple mentions about missing a click - well, I do 2-3 taunt clicks and that's pretty much it on every single mob, minus named, where all I do is a form of defensive.

I rarely, rarely die to a named, but I haven't really pushed myself recently with my new gear. About the hardest I've tanked so far is T2 TDS named, and i'm working on progression to do T3. Once the new expansion is announced, I'll pre-order it (if able) and do EoK with all toons (assuming I get EoK from a pre-order that is).

So, I guess the immediate goal is to be able to tank EoK named, T1, with little issues. With that said, should I be going for hAgi or hDex?

And, when does AC outweight hWhatever? Like, does 100ac equate to 5hWhatever?

I'm only used to the old days where 1ac = 10 hp until you reached 4k ac, then it was different (loooong time ago).
  13. arsenil Lorekeeper

Auto mode ? Tank merc
  14. Damoncord Augur

I thought that was Mage Pet?
  15. Lianeb Augur

This appears to be a new (in the last few weeks) logic coming from someone on the boards that says he parses but I also parse and do not agree. AC has always had lower returns after the softcap, but there is not and has never been a line in the sand where it stopped being effective, or even beaten out by hWhatever
  16. kinadafz Augur

What is the softcap for AC right now? I know it as 4000, which was velious era, so ya, my info is outdated.

And, auto tank mode merc will be done in my next box group, but not this one. What I mean by auto mode tanking gear is the type of geat that will give me the best bang per piece for the content I will be doing.

if hAgi is for raiding, and hDex is for grouping, then I don't want to have 2 sets of gear, one for hAgi and one for hDex, I want hDex.

Good info in this thread, thanks. I'll stick to what I was doing before - AC > HP. Now, however, I will go hDex as my third look.
  17. p2aa Augur

My parse was in raid content, I doubt it's different in group content
  18. p2aa Augur

Wait to have a full HDex type 5 aug replacement before replacing your HAgi ones.
    I explain it.
    Hdex improve 2 avoidance checks, Riposte and Parry.
    HAgi improves 1 avoidance check, Dodge.
    Mob heroic strikethrough will be compared to your HDex and Hagi numbers, if it's lower, then you will avoid the hit. So if you replace your Hagi augs by Hdex one by one, the Hagi number u had before swapping the augs will be lower, and your Hdex will not be enough high, and you will avoid less as result anyway.
  19. p2aa Augur

AC never outweight Heroic tanking stats. I still use 1 AC = 10 HP here.

It's debatable. Raid boss and adds negate nearly every avoidance check, be it Hagi or Hdex ones.
    I haven't found too the mitigation part of HAgi being useful to get hit for less.
    So I chose Hsta, while keeping the good > 30 Hagi ones (2 from TBM and 1 for EoK).
    I keep in bank the Hagi type 5 ones, in case I could need them in new group content to avoid more.
  20. kinadafz Augur

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

I plan on using these formulas when determining upgrades the non visible upgrades. For example, I have a pair of rings that need upgrading, they are around the 2500 hp era. So, when I do my searching on Alla for what ring is best in slot that I can obtain easily, I now know what to look for.

For example, I now know I should be getting this ring (probably BIS for what I can obtain or will be able to shortly):

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=126536

over this ring:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=126535

Both have the same AC and HP, but the first has higher hDex.

All of my gear is in need of an upgrade to the EoK era, so I'm ok without keeping any old gear as it will be inferior in every way with the EoK gear.

A direct upgrade I can get now is http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=126720. The rings above will be too hard for me to get currently, but this ring should be easily obtainable.