What to know....

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by KeggerNuts, Oct 8, 2015.

1. KeggerNuts New Member

So I used to play EQ back in 2004. What has changed that I should know about?

Any insight would be helpful !
  2. Sebbina Augur

Just about everything, so go to the download site and get ready to play, if you still know your old login you are set to go, as everyone has expacs up to Raid of Fear, level 100. Don't delay, you have time to play for free as a silver member on your old account (Free to play if you have to use a new login). giving you time about a month to decide if you want to dive in buying the latest expansion for $35 and be up to date, with All Access pricing depending on what package you might choose.
    Far too many changes to give any short answer, best bet is to get operational and log in, find a family friendly guild and maybe some mentoring to help you aclimatize.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Browse the links in my sig. As Sebbina says, there's a lot that's changed, but there's also a lot that's still the same.
  4. Bleve Lorekeeper

Welcome back! It would probably be a good idea to just start a new toon and go through the tutorial as a refresher. As Sebbina said, lots have changed, but I'll try to give a bit of a recap of what you've missed in the last decade :)

2005 Dragons of Norrath expansion!
    - - Bandoleer. A quick way to switch between weapon sets. Press B to pull it up.
    - - Potion Belt. Easy access to the potions you use most. Shift P
    - - Guild Lobby off PoK, access to Guild Halls off the Guild lobby.
    - - DoN missions and AAs - good quest arc to do, the bonuses are still relevant.
    - - EQ mail system

2005 Depths of Darkhollow expansion!
    - - Ability to Shroud. See the Shroudkeepers in PoK can transform you into various creatures / levels.
    - - The EQ button, easy one stop click to open menus of everything in game

2006 Prophecy of Ro expansion!
    - - Auras. Area of effect spells that move with you, buffs your group when they are in range.
    - - Buff filters and the ability to block buffs
    - - More bank space

2006 The Serpent's Spine!
    - - New race: the Drakkin
    - - Level cap increased to 75
    - - changed death loading at bind to "hover on death"
    - - added out-of-combat fast med / regen

2007 The Buried Sea expansion!
    - - Added Ship-to-Ship combat (haahaaa - just kidding!)
    - - Added Fellowships. Ctrl-Shift-F to open. Fellowship campfires to port to where your friends are.
    - - Power sources. Boost to armor stats. Different power sources raise / lower different stats.

2007 Secrets of Faydwer expansion!
    - - Heroic stats, boost your stats past the stat caps
    - - Level cap increased to 80

2008 Seeds of Destruction expansion!
    - - Mercenaries. Hire a healer, tank, caster dps, or melee dps to be a group member
    - - Level cap increased to 85

2009 Underfoot expansion!
    - - added the /xtar extended target system

2010 House of Thule expansion!
    - - Level cap increased to 90
    - - In game housing area "Sunrise Hills" off of the Guild Lobby, Guilds can have their own housing areas.
    - - Trophy system. Earn and display trophies in your house and guild hall, trophies give stats when active. Alt-U pulls up the trib / trophy window.
    - - Increased inventory space

2011 Veil of Alaris expansion!
    - - Level cap increased to 95
    - - improved hotbars
    - - added the parcel system
    - - items can now be activated from inside containers. Type /useitem for a full explination

2012 Rain of Fear expansion!
    - - Level cap increased to 100
    - - Agro meter
    - - "Hunter" rewards in achievements
    - - Collections. Some collections are ground spawns, others off mobs. Click items to add to collection. Complete collections for rewards.
    - - Off-Line trader

2013 Call of the Forsaken expansion!
    - - Mercenary gear and AAs
    - - Shared bank slots

2014 The Darkened Sea expansion!
    - - Level cap increased to 105
    - - Mount keyring

I skipped over the tons of new zones, new monsters to kill, new loot, new raids, new missions. There's just too much to list it all. Hop on the game and start playing again :)
    Grove and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. SomeEQGuy Elder

New tradeskill UI.

Big bags.

Empty bags can go in other bags.
  6. Simarin3 New Member

For one morning only, I will provide this information at the cost of 10 Krono*.

Find a guild. Find a mentor. The game has drastically changed and you are going to need to find someone to show you the ropes. Every single server out there has guilds for people that are returning to the game. Every single one will have people that can help you for the specific class you are looking for. Everything posted on these forums, take with a grain of salt. I can't stress the importance of finding a guild and finding someone to catch you up to speed on whats changed with the game. People will flat out to out of their way to help you out, you just need to ask.

*Offer not valid to any sane person.
  7. Zezack Journeyman

Run away now while you still can!!

... Also, wb