What tanks better at high levels, a Warrior or a pet?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by asfasfasfasf, Sep 10, 2017.

1. asfasfasfasf Augur

I saw a thread here about a warrior struggling to tank single mobs at the high levels, I've seen another few similar threads too, and I also saw someone in game saying how hard it was to do the last few levels of the game in RoF gear as a War.

I also saw a mage bst doing a 105 HA and her pet could almost solo a mob without any help from anyone. I saw a 105 bst doing a HA too and he could solo a mob while his pet soloed another mob. Have 1 healer merc and they have an easy job! So I am just wondering which would be better at the high levels? A class with a pet or a warrior?

I chose a warrior for my little box group because I like that he has an AOE taunt and seems to grab aggro well and so far he is tanking ok, although it is a close call vs my mage pet. How does this pan out in the late game? Wondering if I should ditch my Warrior and just use the mage pet as my tank.

Thanks!
  2. Orbital101 Augur

a up to date geared tank will tank better then a pet in most situation.

Tanks are gear depended so if your lvl 100+ with RoF gear doing EoK HAs(dont even think about it) or possibly even DH HA then yes your mage pet will be better. I lvled a warrior on FV a few months back without a PL and I was giving him the best of the group stuffs soon as he could use them and I still had to time my defensive skills or take it slower when nothing was up specially from 101 to 104.

RIP that RoF gear and go for TBM gear at lvl 100... I had a few millions rotting on FV so gearing up wasn't an issue for me. I had no problem doing it that way from 85 to 105 in 2 weeks time 4 boxing war,cle,bard,mage without any help from anyone. That included the last 4 expansions progression and most best to decent augs that I could get.
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

As was said, gear is the key, for any tank.
    And after the gear, right behind, the AAs.
    If gear is "ok" for the level/content and AAs up to par to the pet-owner,
    then WAR should out-tank a pet anytime.
    But he also needs more attention for doing so, while the pet can be sent in and one can concentrate on the healer for example.
    Yet, for any named, i would definitely take a WAR (even a group geared one).

The threads you mention...
    It much depends when they were created.
    For example, at EoK release i saw a LOT of raid-geared tanks, WARs and knights alike, go poof in an instant.
    Even on "concerned citizens" (the first progression task), in the very first EoK fight.
    But that was because noone really knew the quests then and whole groups arrived at the ambush spot with the ambush-step active, each group member triggering 2mobs...
    Or in the spider caves...
    I had (at release) issues breaking in and tank the 5spiders at release - it wasn't impossible, but i had issues.
    Too many mobs kill still, it's as simple as that too.
    Now, with the EoK AAs done, i easily do that repellant step with "just" a SHM box.

So, with pet tanking and group geared WAR...
    You perhaps cannot do EVERYTHING right away, but the chances are better with both rather than just one or the other - pets make fine back-up tanks (especially in a box team) against those FD'ing nameds...
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  4. Funk Augur

Warriors rock, a 105 EoK group geared warrior who uses discs correctly can handle a lot. I have one and with just warrior, ranger, and 2 healer mercs I can kill any named in EoK. That being said you do have to get geared up on the warrior. Luckily in EoK the T1 group armor rots all the time and simply by spending time in Frontier Mountains and Lceanium you can scoop up some rots or get in on a group and get rots for warrior that way.

If you get 4+ mobs or named mobs don't hold back on discs. Pain doesn't hurt + Last Stand + Wade into Battle are usually first 3 I hit....and you have a ton more at your disposal. As you gear up you can adjust disc firing and spread out the good stuff even more.
    bard007, asfasfasfasf and Drusi like this.
  5. asfasfasfasf Augur

Thanks guys I think I will keep my warrior. I like that a pet doesn't need any effort though, so I could focus on nuking and healing. But I think the warrior will be better overall for nameds and stuff.
  6. Gundolin Augur

A group with 3 or 4 pets and 2 healers is viable in any and every EoK zone or mission. If you can't find 3 or 4 pet classes and 2 real healers you could probably do the same mission/HA with a warrior and a merc healer.

Ok that might be a slight exaggeration, but true tanks in group EoK gear are much better tanks than pets.
  7. bard007 Augur

my wizard tanks !
  8. Aurastrider Augur

As stated gear is important and yes out of the box pets will do better until you get said gear but don't let that discourage you. Pets pretty much just focus on one target at a time and don't pay any attention to the wizard at the back of the group who just blasted the mob for a crit hit and is now contesting for tanking rights. As a player tank you can recognize that your wizard is about to feel the pain and bring your A game to prevent them from taking a dirt nap. Your pet tank will just keep beating on the same mob while the poor caster is running around screaming like a little girl with ants in their pants.
  9. Treiln Augur

As an SK, I will tank better than a pet at high levels. Simply because I have situational awareness, comprehension of situations, and the ability to react to situations properly.

A pet will tank with less effort, making it easier. And as others have said, the pet will be "better" (relative term), until I get better gear.

But rule of thumb is: A competent player will always trump an AI.
  10. Questoften32 Augur

I agree with you about warriors, but my sk's friend Mr. Bones, thinks your full of Sh@t.

Don't blame me, those are his words and not mine. He could not seem to stop laughing about this, he was like, and I quote: ''hahahaha''.

A high sense of hilarity, has Mr. Bones, but it dose make it hard to take his opinions seriously sometimes. Go figure.
  11. fransisco Augur

There is literally no comparison between a tank with appropriate gear and a pet.
    Even if the tank has really really bad gear, he has disciplines which make him tank superior to a pet.

Also, the 2nd half of tanking, pet agro isn't to great (earth pet agro is bad bad bad). Tank agro is crazy powerful and not gear dependant at all.