What server is not full of boxers?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by blake, Nov 12, 2021.

1. blake New Member

I see a few servers here that say "high" however I fear that the majority of the playerbase is just people boxing.
    Skrab likes this.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

None, even 2-box limit Aradune is full of boxers. It’s how EQ is played now.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. blake New Member

Thanks.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I'd encourage you to not be afraid of boxers. I'm a single account player myself. Finding groups is still very doable without boxing. Getting into a good active guild with play times that match your own is super helpful.
    Skuz, Vizier and Herf like this.
  5. code-zero Augur

The real question is, why do you care? I currently box on live servers to hit achievements and camp things that no one else wants to join in on. The only TLP I've dabbled on for a very long time has been Rizlona since I could keep other sessions of EQ running in the background without the stupid truebox code booting me. I played a single character there and found that it's not difficult to find people who will drop a box from their group and allow you to join them if you're a competent player. Now I don't know how it is lately but that's been my experience
    Peter_The_great and Herf like this.
  6. Yogurt New Member

They might care to find more people to group with?
    Skrab and Herf like this.
  7. Nolrog Augur

Red herring. Just because there are boxers doesn't mean you cannot succeed as a solo player or you need to box as well.

Join a guild and make friends. Go to the popular zones and OOC that you are LFG. Don't just sit there in the Nexus/PoK/Lobby with LFG tag up and complain no one is asking you to join. Play a class that is more desired. DPS tends to have more issues finding groups than a tank or a cleric. Many times people will drop a merc to add another player. My buddy and I will happily drop a box for a guild main.
  8. Manafasto Augur

This type of thinking is only logical because the way EQ has evolved. This still does not answer the question they had. MB does affect the game overall when zones are empty, LFG not being used, or not receiving any responses from channels of communication. You join a guild that has lets say 20 actual players... if one or two of those MBing group players are MIA, you more likely will not be raiding that day. If it becomes a common situation, you begin looking for a new guild or game at some point. You will either go in blind and join a random guild that is already in the same situation of bleeding members or find your personality might not click with theirs. When there is are more true players you can find more personalities you could possibly relate with, forming a possible bond. Anyways someone looking for more people to play with or least amount of boxers seems like a fair question to me.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Most boxers only 2-3 box and are happy to have company. Boxing is good for people LFG.
  10. Randomized Augur

I’ll second this. I’m happy to drop a boxed character or mercenary even to let someone else join up.
    Skuz and Herf like this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think the biggest difference in boxing vs grouping is boxers don't LFM. I box because my playtime is odd and limited. I log in, pop mercs and get done what I need to get done. I'm not asking in general or watching for LFG. However, I was in DN the other day and a rogue asked if he could join me. I dropped a merc and invited him. I am very happy to have a real person to talk to, but when I only have a hour to play, I'm not going to wait for someone to spend 30 minutes running to me.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would say that boxers are marginalized based on their reputation on TLP servers. Many players believe most boxers to be rude and selfish. In actuality, most boxers are pretty awesome people who are very selective with their time.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

Sony/Daybreak has always been stingy with server statistics. It would be interesting to know about how many characters share a single IP address. I know the wife and I routinely do 12 characters on a single residential router/gateway.
  14. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

Which doesn't make sense to me.

If there are tons of servers that allow boxing, and Aradune is a true-box server, why do people need to go to Aradune to multi-box?
  15. code-zero Augur

Way back in the glory days of EQ when the ecommerce in virtual items grew to such a level that Norrath could outperform some actual nations economically boxing was a thing.

I had an acquaintance who had folding tables covered with PC's that he controlled with KVM switches and other things which he used to farm stuff to sell. He did so well that he bought a car for cash as well as more computers to box more 6 wizard murder squads and whatever else he wanted to do. However he failed to report the income to the IRS and had to sell most of his computers.

People were boxing almost from the beginning and they were everywhere
  16. SunDrake Augur

It's true box, not no box. It just means you technically need to use a separate PC for each EQ instance you run. Most everyone has multiple devices capable of running EQ, and the number of people who want to struggle through content with no boxes is pretty small. Most of those people who oppose boxing in general are only interested in early content anyway, so True Box kinda 'works' for those periods.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Because EverQuest sucks solo and more so without mercs, and the populations don't support people at the lower levels. This is the majority. Also there is a lot of people who are trying to race for rare loot for profit who want to lock down camps and don't always play nice. This is the minority that gives everyone else who boxes a bad name.

I wanted to play TLP, and the first night on thornblade was great. The next few times I logged in and couldn't find a groups. The people with more play time than me continued to be way ahead and catching up wasn't enjoyable. This is the same situation on Luclin, so why not just stay at the top there and 3-box. Having a group in old blackburrow as a newbie again that didn't have to box was a great experience and I wish it could have been more consistent.
  18. Ravenscale New Member

Im not a fan of grouping with boxers. Loot is 3 or 4 to 1, rare drops are given to their alts even though you can use it. They over pull and wipe often. Personally I would rather group with individuals
  19. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This is like refusing to ever ride in a Toyota because you once saw a guy crash a Toyota. Loot distribution rules and player abilities vary widely between boxers and non-boxers alike.

I do understand the appeal of grouping with a crew of individuals, but lumping all boxers into the "selfish and bad" box is really short sighted and inaccurate.
  20. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

I understand why people box.

I don't understand why people come to a True-Box server to do it, when literally every other server in the game endorses boxing. I joined Aradune specifically because I wanted to play among individuals, not boxes, but the boxers have to come here too even tho the rest of the servers are there for them.