What permalocked expansion would you want?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jlad, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Kattria Minx Augur

Rather than basing it completely on expansions, I'd rather see a TLP that allows all the races/classes and the newbie armor quests from day one. My first time around, I think I quit playing seriously at about GoD or OoW. I never stopped playing though... just played casual solo.

For sheer convenience, I like PoP and LDON. Fast way to get around the world and one-stop shopping for all your spells, discs, supplies. I like the bazaar, knowledge portals, LDON camps, guild lobby/hall, PoK, hot zones, fun anniversary vendors and quests. So it's less about the zones to play in; rather I like the utility that came with those expansions. For just zones to play in, however, I like through PoP primarily, though the zones added during the Crescent Reach era are fun too. Was that Seeds expansion? I can't remember!

I'm not a fan of "Truebox" though. I get that people don't like box armies, but it's not really as bad as it was on RF/LJ start up. I'd like to play at least 2, preferably 3 accounts at a time, and don't want to have to switch computers/keyboards/monitors just to do that. Outside of raiding though, I'm a very very very casual player, so even though I like to box, I was never one of "those" boxers as I rarely box in dungeons or the outside zones where the loots are.

But I'm pretty happy on Ragefire now, so I don't really think there's a TLP concept coming up that would make me change. Maybe when Ragefire turns into Fippy/Vulak, I'll switch to another TLP. Mostly I go where my friends go. It was really hard decision to make when Phinigel started. A lot of friends moved over there and I miss them a lot. I sometimes goof around on Phinigel, but that horrible exp rate frustrates me. But... I still like Ragefire. And I'd sooner poke my eyes out than do another epic.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  2. The Hated One Augur

No lock. No MoTM. No keys. Let us experience the content. So tired of not being able to get into zones because im not in some big guild. You asked. That is what I would pick. Oh and instances. I like those too.
  3. Polekn Augur

Did you play on EQMac? It was a completely different game. Darchon_Xegony did a good summary here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/agnar-server.239057/page-4#post-3516691

Game is too easy now, people will reach their objectives in a few months and will have nothing to look forward on a server like Agnarr.
  4. Machentoo Augur

That pretty much goes away after PoP. Some expansions have the final raid zone locked, but if you aren't in a raid guild that won't matter much. And later on, past SoD, no zones are locked behind raid progression any more.
  5. Pikallo Augur

Just playing devil's advocate, the keys and zone locks ARE the content. A good portion and challenge for various expansions was completing a key or flag that allows you to progress. I understand the no-work, all-play mentality, but for some many - that aspect was a big draw to EQ.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  6. taliefer Augur

i think i would actually choose TSS as a locking point. you can still use older content to gear up people quickly, as even anguish gear isnt totally obsolete. you also have a brand new level path from 1 to 75. theres alot of good group content for all level ranges.
  7. Strawberry Augur

None, why the hell would I want to be locked into an expansion.
    Hdizzle likes this.
  8. nagash101 Augur

I think DBGs is missing the mark on the Agnarr TLP server. The needs to consider taking it to at least at a minimum Gates of Discord if not Omens of War. Gates of Discord was a huge expansion with a TON of content and it’s all instanced already. Gates of Discord also released the Berserker Class and Leadership Alternate Abilities. The only thing I can see to shoot for in Omens of War is the Epic 2.0 items but the Tribute system and the task system might also be a good thing to have on a TLP Server that is locked at an expansion.

I would vote for Omens of War and at least Gates of Discord. I really think they need to offer it up to the community for a Vote. Stopping at LDoN is sort of short sighted.

Gates of Discord - expands upon the storyline introduced in Lost Dungeons of Norrath and added more LDoN content. Will that be added to the Agnarr TLP Server? GoD also had 18 new zones, 10 single-group instanced trials, 8 uninstanced exp zones, and 9 raid zones/instances. God also released the Berserker Class. GoD introduced the tribute system and Leadership Alternate Abilities (LAA).

Omens of War - Level cap to 70, Introduced new Epic weapons, known as Epic 2.0. A new Tribute system, allowing guilds to pool tribute points to purchase various effects. A "task system", intended to "allow players to have quick solo content while waiting for a group to form".
  9. nagash101 Augur

I agree completely. Stopping at LDoN isn't a solid stopping point. It really needs to be either Gates of Discord or Omens of War.
  10. nagash101 Augur

I could even see going as far as Depths of Darkhollow but no Prophecy of Ro or anything after that point.
  11. Hdizzle Augur

It wont stay at LDON, its just a marketing move to label it as "pop-locked".

If they announced it was just a new shiny TLP with phinny instances and faster exp rates, the rerolls would be countless. I don't buy the whole " I did classic 75180364985672 times and hate it". Everyone would reroll and I personally would unsub until Agnar launched. Why continue on Phinny or Ragefire when I know the server is gonna be a ghost town inside a year? They had to differentiate Agnar so not to destroy the 3 TLP's they have going. Some will disagree, but I've yet to see a new tlp launch and not be packed.

Agnar may stay at Ldon for a bit, but yeah if they really wanna lock a server somewhere, OoW or even GoD are good spots. Hell even TSS is pretty cool as I think that offers Drakkin and Froglocks as playable races?
  12. nagash101 Augur

They have posted and stated that the server will stop at LDoN. It will stay at LDoN. I do agree having the Drakkin would be cool but that is pretty far past OoW and GoD. The expansions after those two dont really offer different content it begins to be the same stuff over and over again.
  13. Machentoo Augur

The expansions after OoW are not just the same content over and over again. There are new group and raid mechanics, strategies, and skills needed with every new expansion from Omens to TSS. Some of the mechanics are less fun than others, but it isn't just the same things repeated over and over.

A few standout points from each expansion's raid content that are nothing like anything that has come before it.

DoN - shoulder my burden. First time each individual in the raid has to be prepared to comply with an emote in order to advance the raid, prior to this at most you die or get the tank killed.

DoDH - Quite a few, this was a tremendously innovative expansion. The AE negation quests for DPoB. The sisters murder mystery event and all the mechanics that come with it. Hatchet's chase and ae deathtouch. Healing Tris Wallow III. The performer event--there are emotes to comply with in previous events but nothing like this. Mayong -- Raises the bar quite a bit for complexity and # of stages and different mechanics within a single event.

Prophecy of Ro -- Dethknell Event two -- the trap disarm section especially, nothing remotely like this anywhere else. Ayonae Ro clicks (terrible, terrible raid design, but hey, it's new...)

TSS - Light the Torches mechanic in Froscrypt Overwhelming Numbers event. The platform and prison mechanics in Beltron event. Lethar -- Once again significantly raises the total # of event mechanics the entire raid needs to be aware of and respond to in unison. Especially different mobs interacting with each other -- with complex positioning, mobs requiring to be turned based on other mobs' pathing, reflecting spell effects etc.

Sure, you start to see bits and pieces of previous mechanics repeated some, but there is always plenty of new stuff in each expansion.
  14. Hdizzle Augur

Idk man, they also said instancing classic raids would never happen. 2 years is a long time from now.
  15. Vexn Elder

Stopping before mercenaries came out would be my choice
  16. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

The dedicated Escape to Norrath server (Mines of Gloomingdeep only) was amazing. It was EQ in minigame form. Loved it.

BRING IT BACK.
  17. nagash101 Augur

Yeah i can get behind locking before SoD. Mercenaries are the reason i stopped playing live.
  18. Tachyon Augur

I'd love to see eternal Velious! Open with Velious and stick with that!!

It was the pinnacle of old school Everquest.

On a larger note, one problem with 'progression' servers is that everyone has to basically do their 1-50 leveling in the same damn zones! I've done every single progression server released and can navigate Lower Guk in my sleep! Many times I do.

When the later expansions open a vast majority of the population is already 50+ or at least close and the lower level zones of those later expansions are practically untouched. Even when Kunark opens most go straight to the 50+ zones. We need some variety!

One of my favorite EQ experiences was back when Stromm server opened in 2003. It was actual PoP in EQ at the time so everyone started at level one in the PoP era. This gave you the option to level 1-50 in countless zones from Kunark to Velious to Luclin that just doesn't happen these days.

I remember doing Tower of Frozen Shadows with a guild I was part of in our mid-30s and having a blast with the challenge.

I'll be playing on Agnarr but would love to see something along this line.
    MBear likes this.
  19. nagash101 Augur

Yeah i agree with this also. Starting at Velious would be pretty fun and spread out the population. If they started with Velious and did a full 16 weeks before unlocking for Luclin and another 16 weeks for PoP, that would be fun. I still say then need to lock the server at GoD or OoW.

Maybe they should put that to a vote on the TLP Server and see what the population thinks. Which Expansion would be the best to stop at.
    MBear and Tachyon like this.
  20. nagash101 Augur

I think a Challenge Server like that would be awesome. When you die you have to make a new toon or even better it spawns you back at your starting city with all your gear but level 1 again. Maybe 3 deaths then level 1. First guild to kill Phinigel, Naggy and Vox win a title like "Hard Core Classic" or "Iron Toon".