What old raids can a max level player solo?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goranothos, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Goranothos Augur

I visited Anguish the other day but didn't get to finish it because my wife came home before I got to OMM.

Today, I was bored and decided to try Time. I quit raiding during PoP, and my old guild never made it to Time, so today was my first visit to the raid instances.

Fun stuff! Wow, amazing amount of coding and effort must have gone into these raid zones. PoP was groundbreaking and truly one of the best EQ expansions ever, IMO. Wasn't Time the first raid instance ever? Props to the devs and coders back then. PoP was a gem of an expansion.

Being that I had never actually done this, I had the Zam walkthrough pulled up on my laptop. I had some outside buffs, but by the time I got toward the end, they had mostly worn off and I was going on self buffs only.

The most difficult part was trying to read the walkthrough while actually doing it. I don't believe I ever got below 95% health despite being in the middle of swarms of mobs. I might have been in trouble if any of the old gods had deathtouch, but I never got hit by it. I pretty much just went through armies of intimidating looking mobs like a scythe through a wheat field. My tactic was to sic pet, then cast an RS pet or two then run into as many mobs as possible so they would hit me and get on my RS pets' agro queue. I hardly ever bothered nuking. Always kept DS on myself and pet.

Sullon Zek did some kind of move that seemed to knock me down, but I finally figured out I needed to sit/stand to get back in action.

Quarm was very impressive looking.

So...that was quite fun. I got a bag full of 200-300 HP gear that was certainly top of the line back in the day. I even got the mage only malosenia mask, though the malo AA pretty much obsoletes that, I suppose.

So what next? I'm looking for recommendations for the next raid zone to solo. My anguish lockout should be over Monday, so I'll try that again for sure.

I can pretty much dismiss any old world raid zones before PoP, because they aren't instanced and the raid targets are almost certainly perma camped on FV.

Also, tell us your solo stories. I'm really only interested in old raids that require six or fewer players to request the instance.
  2. Gommy Journeyman

Tacvi! Of course, you have to be keyed I think. Spending some time in Txevu to get the keys is no problem, but time consuming. Tacvi was always awesome though. You have to kill the ghost guy in the caves under txevu, maybe even the big guy in the arena area first, then kill zun muram (sp) at the top of the zone to get his essence thing, that lets you go back to the start of the zone and request the raid instance.

In the old days that was awesome fun, and quite the challenge at 60 (or was it 65?)
    Goranothos likes this.
  3. A-Quad Augur

Goranothos likes this.
  4. Goranothos Augur

@Gommy, Tacvi was GoD, I believe, so level 65. I remember when GoD was released, a lot of people thought it was overtuned and there was a lot of complaining. I think WoW came out around the same time, so the combination of an unpopular ("too hard") EQ expansion and a shiny new MMO cost EQ a lot of players that year. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Tacvi at some point.
  5. Godwin Journeyman

Are there any raids PoP and Post PoP that have items without level requirements? Maybe a better question, at what xpac did level requirements start to become a thing?
  6. Goranothos Augur

@Godwin I think level requirements on gear started around PoP. All the stuff I looted yesterday has level req 65. So it either started with PoP or Luclin or it was retroactively applied to older gear at some point. I don't remember any old world, Kunark, or Velious gear having level requirements. Truly the golden age of "twink gear". ;-)

Perhaps someone else can provide a more detailed answer.
  7. Scorrpio Augur

Required/recommended levels on gear are a Luclin thing.
  8. Chaosflux Augur

I've done some in ROF, could
    Beast Domain in VOA
    A bunch in Underfoot/House of Thule (not all, SS and MC is probably a no go)
    SOD Korafax, some events in Tower
    SOF all raids can be soloed
    TBS all Solteris can be soloed event 3 is a PITA
    TSS depends on mechanics some can some can't
    POR dk1 and other raids in order to get DK access
    DODH all of demiplane sans sisters and role
    DON all
    OOW all
    GOD might need help in Inktuta, all the rest are soloable
    Goranothos likes this.
  9. Chaosflux Augur

O since you asked for stories.

The first time I did Solteris entirely solo, event 3 took something like 3 hours because I didn't have any good damage shield clickies.

In order to keep balance I used the worst weapon I could find for dmg/dly think it was a rusty short sword or maybe a fine steel short sword I don't remember.

I was level 95 and it was quite a trip, failed twice due to knocking Balreth clones out of balance. Eventually I finally got a win, had to use a DA hammer and DA abilities to med midfight. Whittling away at the bastards with a short sword, it was comical.
    Goranothos likes this.
  10. Phrovo1 Augur

Solteris is definitely one of my favorite raid zones in EQ
  11. Chaosflux Augur

We should have got a revamped Solteris 2.0 with TDS just because.

I was pretty sad when that was not the case.
    Phrovo1 likes this.
  12. Aurastrider Augur

You could probably do the ashengate raids and most of the frostcypt raids solo. The last frostcrypt encounter has a lot of crap though and will require a good amount of planning in advance. There is an illusion that drops from the final encounter and I believe one drops from the ashengate raids also. TSS expansion also has open world raid mobs that you can easily burn down. Both Ashengate and Frostcryt do require working up faction before you can request but that can be done in a couple hours pretty easy. I imagine anything pre HOT most people could solo if maxed out and in decent gear as long as the mechanics allow.
    Goranothos likes this.
  13. Chaosflux Augur

One of the raids to get access still required 12 or 18 people in zone last time I checked.

That event in Vergalid. Did that ever change?
  14. Chaosflux Augur

Alot of Underfoot raids would be reasonably challenging for most classes that aren't a Cleric/Shaman, Paladin, Ranger, or SK.

Just due to how much damage those mobs still do, the need for cures (think SK would have a ruff go on those as well) and the amount of things one has to deal with.

UF raids are harder to solo then HOT in my opinion.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

Had not gotten to the underfoot stuff yet just gauging based on the difficulty of the mobs I have encountered across all expansions. Most of the raid events I have done solo/box have been ones linked to hero's journey stuff. Frostcypt events being the most difficult with one encounter the mob casting a death touch type spell. Was not expecting that when it happened haha.
  16. Gynek Lorekeeper

Definitely interested in this too. I've been doing old nostalgia runs and stuff of old raids solo since I've been back.
    Anguish is super easy, Vish is a little more challenging, but not much. Haven't gotten to trying DPoB cuz I'm not keyed now. I tried out Solteris but the trash seemed a lot stronger and it was late so I left.
    Definitely curious what can be done
  17. Qbert Gallifreyan

Biggest issue with soloing/attempting to solo some of these is flagging. I haven't actively raided in so long that I can't trigger much past SoD/half of UF or the first tier of any given expansion.

Through there and into HoT, not much is challenging among those I can trigger - though some are effectively impossible to solo (DK2, Sisters in Demi, Feerrott) so I cannot proceed in those zones.

It really is a shame not to be able to experience some of the content, even if it is years later, due to one or more mechanics that require multiple people to be physically present. When the damage is so trivial that I can stand there without risk of death until the zone collapses in some cases, I would like to be able to work around some of these mechanics.

It used to be possible to go back to old raids for posterity and/or to gather special items/clickies once the content was obsolete, but now not even that is possible in many cases. As mentioned in other posts in this thread, even if it takes forever (Solteris 3), I don't mind so much - I wouldn't plan to do the raid forever, just enough times to get what I want from a zone.
  18. Qbert Gallifreyan

Vergalid is 6, I just redid that a couple years ago for Heroes Journey.
  19. Chaosflux Augur

I've 3 boxed sisters quite abit (maybe 20 times?) it's the least preferable method, but doable. Al

Same with DK2, ARO is impossible tho without 12 people to cclick fetters IIRC

Sisters if you need a hand I'll make a heroic on any server and do it with you, if you really just want to experience the event, shoot me a PM.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

Shows how behind the times I am, it was 12 at one point wasn't it, or am I crazy