What is your controversial EQ hot take?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Annastasya Augur

Shadowknights, Shaman, Rangers, Magicians, and Necromancers have been the developers' darling classes for 15 years or so. By this, i mean the power level of these classes combined with fun factor have made them the top of the heap in popularity, and thus unbalanced (despite any adjustments in that time) for an unreasonable amount of time.

i think it is okay for the classes to be somewhat out of balance for periods of time, but this spotlight, so to speak, should revolve more often than it does. A good measure of out of balance classes is when there is an enormous gulf between the numbers of mains being played of that class vs the average. Should there be as many Enchanters as SKs? Probably not, but the difference should be a few orders of magnitude smaller, in my hot take opinion.
    Raptorjesus5, Crabman, alanus and 3 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EG3 should be bought by Microsoft, the following week Ji Ham is named Acting CEO of Microsoft and then Microsoft announces it is bringing EverQuest Online Adventures 2.0 to all Consoles. One week after the launch it is revealed that Jason Epstein owned Microsoft all along & Bill Gates was his love-child.
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Hegsheoshed Augur

Make Soandso an end boss. Make that grave in the original tutorial mean something.
    Ulrin and Wdor like this.
  4. Roxas MM Augur

gnome beastlords. can remove the woodelf fakelords to make room as well.
    FippyDarkpaw99 likes this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Mecha-pet? I like it.
    Waitwhat likes this.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I wish every race could play beastlord and every race could play bard. I wish every race could play any class. (It's one of the things I really liked in EQ2.) Every race doesn't need to be as good as every other race in every class, at least in the lower levels. The race/class combo limitations we have now seem more than a bit arbitrary, too.
  7. TheRealMuramx Elder

As a player that has played a SK from the day EQ started.... Sks are in the same place they have always been when compared to other classes in terms of balance. The problem was for the first 10 years maybe 2% of all the SKs that were being played actually played them to their full potential, maybe 5% were decent and the rest "thought" they were good but sucked making the class it's self look less or trash.
    Tegila likes this.
  8. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

TLP servers should not pretend that they are trying to be a classic experience, because there are a million ways that they arent. If there is a significant improvement that can be made to the TLP experience, be it something like Buffing a crappy class in a bad era (level 70 wizard, for example), or moving QoL changes into an out-of-era position, it should at least be considered.
    Ulrin, Wdor and Crabman like this.
  9. Alarya Augur

I think those were an option when people voted for the new class & race combination iirc
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

The term "TLP server" should no longer be used. Those servers should now be referred to as "The Gimmick Servers" because that's all they literally are...a yearly cash grab gimmick.
    Wdor likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

One of the problems is that not all PC models support all armor type graphics which makes it harder to set them up to use some classes.
    Ileasa likes this.
  12. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

I will never forgive Frog monks and Wood elf BSTs for taking Iksar Berserkers from us. The New Sebilisian Juggernauts will rise one day
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  13. Serdar New Member

Mercenaries should get more abilities.

I'm talking about the healer mercs specifically. I swear my 120 healer merc is practically the same as at level 110. Moreover, from 117-120 there doesn't seem to be a new heal spell.

The above is icing on the cake to how buggy the healers are. When my merc isn't running up random stairs nearby to train mobs on me, she sometimes decides not to heal at all.

BTW I've blocked all the garbage merc spells, and it helped, but why is that even necessary? Is it difficult to program healers to cast their HOTs on command? Or just tell them not to cast a HOT when the tank is at 40% health?

Quick fix to the above. Reduce the casting speed of merc heals. They cannot compete with high level mob DPS.
  14. DeadRagarr Augur

Players should have the ability to summon 2 mercs. That way my wizard can have a tank/healer merc.
    Raptorjesus5 and Metanis like this.
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

And that should be changed, too. It also affects PC race illusions while wearing armor that PC race can't wear (such as an enchanter with a Vah Shir illusion). The character ends up wearing the non-armor look unless the character uses Hero armor.
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

I think that SKs got into such a good space because of our class leadership. Our class website was going strong long after manys failed. We discussed in depth what we wanted or needed every expansion and our representatives took these concerns to the devs as many had interactions with them. These guys were parsing and screaming numbers arguing over AC>HP LONNNNG ago. SK invented swarming and its was so succesful it got nerfed.

Our website changed a few times over the years and much excellant info was lost and many VERY Humerous threads gone forever.
    http://eqshadowknight.net/index.php

Is still there to be perused but its a ghost town anymore. I thank the leadership of the class from those past times for where we are today, well the SK community in general. I still see some of you old SK from time to time but not many.
    Wdor and Ozon like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have explained in the past why they are unable to update the old models to fix the issue and it seems the only way to do it would be to make new models.
  18. Alarya Augur

Thought of another one, the Drakkin race SHOULD NOT have LARGE armor ornaments!!! :mad:
  19. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Hot takes and shower thoughts are not the same thing.

Thats both my hot take and a response.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

I support this idea, why not full group.
    Really necessary to have upkeep on them as well? Hurts people who are broke, not the people with 7 to 9 figure platinums. Purpose of mercs is to help people get a foot into the game right? Why hurt their pockets?
    Was looking at heroic 100, says 35000 plat, I was thinking that aint squat, thats >1% of a krono (4mil plat). Thats enough for 1.5 upgrade item at 105.

Think there should be a lvl 100 tutorial. Level 1-50 is a whole new gameplay than lvl 100.
    The world is very scary at lvl 100, this is when expansions are being catered to end game raiders, have mobs in groups, they hit hard, have mechanics that do crazy stuff on you.

Need a lvl 100 tutorial.
    Goes over AAs, learn your AAs, learn about lvl 100 stuff, learn about what to expect from lvl 100 type mobs.
    Rampage what you do.
    Expect mobs like in RoS to do a DD attack
    Expect mobs to root you and get used to it
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=53280
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=45478 this is gonna floor a lot of newb 100s.
    Need a tutorial for the 100s nice area to get them ready for the harsh game of 100-end game.
    Mobs stacked together, what do you do.
    Tutorial on how to figure out what you should be doing. Where to go, what to do.

Its not like lvl 10 where you can destroy 4 mobs. You get floored if 4 mobs attack you at lvl 100. One mob can even floor you at lvl 100.
    Lvl 100 AAs are expected to be used, your not tanking or dpsing efficiently because not using those AAs they expect you to use.

I am a lvl 120 already at end game and doing fine, I'm just saying for these newcomers, using heroic 100, life is gonna be rough. 35,000 plat thats nothing. Go out and get xp, those mobs are unforgiving. Its not meant for newbie. I see most of 100+ content as for end game raiders. Like ToV nothing is friendly all of those zones look like group raid zones back in the days, like The Grey.
    Every ToV, ToL, CoV, its nothing but zones like The Grey, nothing friendly, lots of cheap trickery. CotF thats nothing nasty zones.
    Haven't got a break since TSS/SoF really.

100 tutorial should teach you all the effects mobs can do to you.
    So when newb comes out, they know all the possible ways mobs can get them and have firsthand experience what to do in those situations.
    At 100 your expected to know all those effects, should have good grasp of your AAs and skills. Know how to deal with adds, how to avoid multiple adds.

The tutorial, doesn't go over that, it goes over to get you ready for 1-50 content, they don't squat. Level 100, thats where mobs are no joke. 1 of them can floor you easy. You have a long way to run back, all the zones are far away, theres no PoK stone to a quick lvl 100 zone.

Guilds? guild hall portal? Level 100s newbies they don't start the game with a guild and don't just guild hall portal to places, they probably don't even know about it, the tutorial doesn't go over it, that takes time. Its a newbie heroic newbie, they aren't in guild yet, they still figuring out the game, not ready yet to think about guild.
    Its not they start the game in a random guild, takes time.
    So the 100s zones are far far away, very dangerous, mobs mostly to own a heroic newb quickly, these are not friendly zones to explore, unlike commonlands and such at lvl 1-50.
    Level 100 tutorial is needed.
    100 tutorial should be a couple of zones, teach them how to use map finder. How the heck to get to the lvl 100 zones, they need to know that.
    So so much lvl 100 doesn't know but expected to know, its level 100 after all, 19 expansions of knowledge. They don't make friendly paths anymore, 95-100 serious content, 100-105 serious content, and so on.

newbie heroic 100 should have 2 mercs, full group no doubt. Its a harsh harsh world.
    Also, this is when group missions, missions start being the main avenue of xp.
    They just joined the game, 100 heroic, they want to get to some vibes before joining any guilds. Get a feel for the game.
    100 and with a merc is not gonna go anywhere especially when they a newbie.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=53280 waiting to give them a warm welcome. (RANGE ATTACK, 1200 distance) A rake across the body causes 99999 damage every 6 seconds for 30 secs (5 ticks). Also lowers movement speed by 35. This is T1 beginner/trash mob.
    So again, level 100 tutorial is needed, have carbon copies of mobs through the expansions of what to expect. The good thing from this, should be able to find other lvl 100 newbies easily and get groups. It's got to be multiple zones, because have to teach navigation.
    So say (lvl 100 TUTORIAL uses old tutorial layout) city safe area zone 1
    That path and the bridges area zone 2
    jail area zone 3
    captain area zone 4
    QUEST, open your map, use finder, click on sort by level, find zone 3, click set path, now run to zone 3, congratulations reward.
    All of these mobs can change em, to lvl 100 mob copies. So they can get a feel for what everything does in the real world of 100s.
    Don't have to do super long run back to EoK CotF because newbie no guild and don't even know about GH portals

Some newbies don't even know, mobs can see invis? What is this blasphemy. I can invis past things, wow nice. I'm a lvl 100 newbie I didn't I had this ability.

Just because your a 100 heroic doesn't mean they come with all the knowledge someone lvl 100 should know.
    Don't assume people know something so trivial. Especially newbies.