What is the most interesting thing to happen to you in EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I did, and it was a bad idea that almost cost me a lot of platinum, some of which wasn't even mine (I was selling some stuff on my bazaar trader for other people and had not yet distributed the proceeds).
    Rijacki likes this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

My very very first character was a Vah Shir bard.

I had started to play EQ with my now former boyfriend who had played a little while at original launch and then stopped after a few months because RL got too busy and stuff. I had seen the game in the store and had been curious about it but, because of a very very bad experience with PvP in mudding, was very wary of the game having a PvP element. My former boyfriend was interested in playing a Vah and assured me that most of EQ was PvE with the PvP being purely consensual. So I decided to try the game, too.

He created a Vah beastlord and I created a Vah bard. His former character was a druid so he knew nothing about the bard class either. He also hadn't played in a few years, so wasn't too saavy on the game mechanics at that time either. So we were both essentially total newbies. We had been happily killing bugs under the city when we both got our first 'ding' to level 2 so we went back to the city to get new spells and songs. We were playing in the same physical location and I needed a quick trip to the loo so he was going to pick up the new stuff for both of us. I came back to see my bard dead on the floor at the feet of one of the grandmasters with all of them walking back to their positions. My former boyfriend said he tried the new song and wasn't sure what happened. I shrugged it off and we went back to bug hunting. I decided to sing the new song and it seemed like bugs came from miles around to swarm over us. We decided I should try that song again when we knew what PB AE meant. (Yes, the 2nd level song for a bard is a point blank area effect damage song and the bugs under the city have/had social agro with a pretty big range.) Thankfully, the "experiments" didn't de-level either of us. I later also learned to change my auto-attack key after getting murdered by the bard guildmasters.

The other newbie blunder that was totally him was with his druid. He had logged on to the druid to get a beastie spell that was some place not accessible to our very low level Vah that didn't know how to get through Padual Caverns safely yet (in the days of no in game map and no one having put a map online yet). So... his 20ish druid needed to cross Kithicor and night was falling in game. He didn't think anything of it, having stopped playing early after original release. He ran down the path and right into high level skeletons. As he put it, someone had changed that newbie area into a killing field at night (he had stopped playing -before- the battle in Kithicor).

When I switched to playing on Firiona Vie, shortly after it opened, I created a ranger 'cause I wanted to try a different class. I missed playing bard, but preferred playing on FV and got hooked on my new character. It was a 1 character per account server back in those early days... Several years after I left EQ, I heard that FV was changed to 4 characters per account. I needed a bit of a break from raiding and such in EQ2 so created a bard on FV and got her to mid-40s soloing (pre-merc) but life got busier and I left her behind. It wasn't until last year that I bumped that bard to 85 (I had a free token from somewhere) to join friends and now she's 120 and my main :) A few months ago, I created a second bard on another account and she's at 88 without a booster. I am resisting the urge to put a bard on my 3rd account *laugh* (I have 3 accounts because of the 1 character per account thing in FV's early days but didn't roll a bard either time I fired up a new account because I needed a specific type of character to help someone else, such as playing with my current sweetie when I got him into the game and he wanted to play a rogue.)
    code-zero likes this.