What is the difference on the solo abilities of the Mage vs Necro ?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Panikker, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Panikker Elder

Ok I know is been discussed before but, due to recent changes of pet nerfs. What is the state of the Magician Vs. Necro solo-abilities with no twink items or mercs?
  2. strongbus Augur

no twink items or mercs?.

Depends on what you are looking for in terms of keeping their pets up or in terms of getting xp/killing mobs.

Mages get better heals and they get the promise line of heals that necros don't, and If using the earth pet which can take a better hit then the necro war pet, the mage is going have a easy time of healing their pets. But to do so they have to stop all dps on the mob(can't nuke the mob if you are casting a heal/rune).

Necros don't get as good as pet heals and don't have the promise line. But with dots necros can keep the damage going while casting heals/runes.(also if using group life taps can do both at once). And necros get a slow.

But you also have to remember that for mages pet tanking is their primary way of soloing. For necros it is not. As aggro kiting and root rotting can bring in more xp in a giving time then pet tanking.(A good necro can aggro kite 3 or 4 mobs at once and depending on how many dots they need to use on the mobs can have 2-3 being root rotted at once)
  3. Panikker Elder

Ty for the response. One more question group wise which is more viable ?
  4. Brohg Augur

Magicians have a much easier time contributing well to groups, since mobs tend to die too fast for necromancer dots to work
  5. Igniz Augur

Not to forget, thanks to snare and FD, a necromancer can, if he so wishes, pull single mobs from groups, a magician can't, at least not in most cases (there are exceptions where Companion of Necessity might come in handy - it's on a 10 minute cooldown, though).

Problem for necros indeed is the duration needed for their DoTs to actually do damage. The longer the fight, the more the necro will pull ahead, though. Any fight longer than 45 seconds will be to a necromancer's favour.
  6. Panikker Elder

Ty for all responses.Final questions please respond if you wish if not that is O.K.. Any live servers that have more single players than boxers? I'm trying the Phini server but exp is ...hard lol ...or ..shy of ridiculously slow lol. Eventually I want to do the epics and don't want to be blocked like some post say that boxers camp stuff I'm a returning player from 2002 lol so is been years lol I'm trying to re-learn everything from how to memorize spells and put them on the bars (lol yea ...had to google that lol) to trying to figure out a way out of starting cities lol ..so i'm kind noobish again to the game ..lol. Any help from the community would help.Also being a necro requires a diety ..cazic, berto and inno. Any good things about any of them ?? or everything equal? Lastly is it a good idea to put more points into stamina than int? (doing gnome, erudite or DE as necro) I think i remember necros needed hp for mana conversions and something else lol ..cant remember. Any help would be appreciated from those who play the class. TY, and C'Yas in the game.
  7. Xnoybis New Member

Good luck Panikker, returning player here as well. Haven't played since Runes of Kunark.. heh... soooo much has changed. I rolled a Necro and am just having a blast pluggin away.
    Though I have to admit sitting and waiting on mana is getting to me
  8. Onhanis Stonescale Elder

Mage is better for groups, but can solo well. Necro is better for solo, but is good in some group situations (long fights, raids (maybe, but I haven't done them), etc). Overall, they are both good classes, but neither are the be-all-end-all class (but I doubt anything is).
  9. Vrinda Augur

There are a lot of single players on the live servers (or people who just suck at boxing and prefer not to), but what you won't find there is people to group with at low levels. Experience is easy to come by on live, and a warrior merc can essentially carry you to around level 60. That said, it takes a lot of the fun out of the journey.

You won't be blocked from epics on live servers unless you choose to play on Zek (PvP). Deity is irrelevant to a necro, as is stamina. The amount of HPs an INT caster gets from every point put into stamina is pitiful, and you'll max all your stats with easily obtained defiant gear by the time you reach level 50 anyway. Create a toon of whatever race makes you happy. And yes, Neriak is a pain to find your way out of as a new level 1 necro.
  10. Sandy100 Elder

Ok, My son has a high level mage and I have a high level necro.

Mage: Benefits: Better more sturdy pets.
    * More types of pets; For example, the fire pet can do AOE damage and kill many mobs
    * Mages much better at healing pets
    * Mages can do DD and put out more damage for trash mobs in short time
    * Mages can buff pets with summoning swords and eventually armor.

Cons of mages:
    * VERY slow mana regen. This is a huge drawback for a mage. It really does limit their mana usage and * NO defense to speak of. Thus, they have a real problem soloing if things get tough.

Necro: Much better, more mana efficiency in dots
    * Much stronger offense on longer lasting mobs such as mob bosses and higher end raid mobs
    * MUCH better mana regen. In fact, they may have some of the best mana regen in game

* MUCH better defense for soloing: feign death, harmshield,
    * Necros can save a group or raid with REZ and corpse recovery and mana transfer
    Necros are MUCH better soloers overall: They get mez, great root, Rez, corpse summon, levitate, poison and disease resist, underwater breathing, Levant and more.
  11. Sandy100 Elder

I wanted to add two things that I forgot on my previous post

1. Mages get COH which is VERY useful in bringing new people to group without having to run through an area of dungeon to get to the group.

2. Mages fight differently than Necros. Necros use kiting to fight because it takes a while for dots to work effectively,, Mages just send in their pets head on. There is no kitting. Thus, mages find it easier to fight in dungeons than that of necros.

3. Once a mages pet dies, they are in trouble.There is little defense for a mage other than running
  12. Cicelee Augur

????? AOE damage????? Fire pet?????
    Stune, Sancus and Leex like this.
  13. Sandy100 Elder

Yup,I remember my son gathering mobs at the "farm" with his fire pet and killing all of them! If I didn't witness it, I wouldn't have believed it.
  14. Cicelee Augur

As someone who has played a main magician since February of 2000.... I never ever ever remembered the fire pet having AOE damage. So maybe something has changed for the lower versions of the fire pet after I out levelled "the farm" in DSH. But I am going to go with the belief that the fire pet does not AOE damage.

Now it has a built in fire damage shield. So maybe mobs were hitting it and losing hit points. Maybe your son was casting the Beam spells that we get, allowing us to hit up to I believe 12 targets at once for xyz damage.... that would mean all mobs were going down in health at once. I dunno. But I will say this- the lvl 102 fire pet does not do AOE damage. Cause if it did, boy I would be in trouble when I get rezzed and summoned a new pet....
  15. Igniz Augur

Firepet does not AoE. What you have witnessed is probably comparably low level creeps dieing due to firepets innate damage shield and perhaps the regular mage-castable damage shield.

Edit: should have read Cicelees post before creating my own, everything is explained there already. Sorry
  16. Siddar Augur

Necro's have root so every mage will tell you that means their better.
  17. fransisco Augur

Necros have superior utility (root, snare, fd, ect).
    If there is no room to kite, mages can sit and tank far bette (and are also easier to box).

Alot of it comes down to play style. Are you alone, boxing, in a group? In high dps groups, necros tend not to do their best because the mob dies too fast for their dots to have full effect. But if you're on the tlp, or not top level in raid gear fighting junk mobs, the extra utility necros bring can be very nice. Of course, mages can be a nice back up tank if you have extra mobs in camp too.

It depends on play style, one is no longer completely superior to the other.
  18. Mlipus New Member

With pet nerf, then swarm pets on same timer, Daybreak are killing the necro class.
    I already know 3 necros that quit playing that class.
    I'm using my necro trying to flag a mage and amen to my necro.
    And if i'm not happy with a mage, then amen to everquest.
    I love playing my necro, but not the way they nerfed the class. So, may prolly cancel my 2 accounts if the swarm pets stay on the same timer.

Very hard to understand why Daybreak take a decision that will destroy a class and drive away players.

Gonna loose a player that enjoyed the game since 1999.
  19. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Necros don't get as good as pet heals and don't have the promise line.

I do not think I saw anyone mention the Necromancer DoTs that heal the group and that includes any and all pets. I do believe this may exceed most if not all Regen spells.
  20. Siddar Augur

I would say necro's are at worst equal to mages in pet healing and likely a bit better at it then mages.

There pet also need heals a lot more then mage pets do.