What is the difference in these two servers?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by iamjjs3, May 12, 2020.

1. iamjjs3 New Member

I honestly do not know. I appreciate the answer and thank you.

Aradune, Truebox Dedicated Progression
    Rizlona, Boxed Dedicated Progression
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-rizlona-aradune-progression-server-launch-2020

Aradune has truebox rules and is limited to 2 boxing. That means that if you box, you have to use 2 computers to do it. No alt tabbing on one PC. It also means you are limited to two PC boxing, you can't run 6 PC for 6 characters.

Rizlona is boxed dedicated. Pretty much go nuts. You can can 6 box on a single PC if you wanted to.

Both have the same rules as any other servers about cheating. Cheating is still cheating.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

So boxing was never cheating in EQ?
  4. code-zero Augur

No never
    Skuz likes this.
  5. iamjjs3 New Member

Thank you for the answer. It leads to one more question. I have never played more than one toon at a time. It seems to be impossible. Is there somewhere that I can read about how it is done? I actually have two gaming computers.
  6. Herf Augur

There's not too many secrets for 2 boxing: 2 accounts, 2 keyboards, 2 monitors, etc. It's the classes you select that can matter; you want one of them to be less intense to manage, more button-pushy. So healers, nukers. The other one is a tank of some type, maybe a puller, which requires more tactical control.

Some people use wireless numpads for the button-pushy toon.

You want to have your 12 numbered buttons all set for hotkeys, either spell gems or socials/macros, including a /assist main macro so you can change targets easily when your MA changes.

After a while it becomes sort of like playing a piano. Pull mob with your right hand, start beating on it or set a pet on it. With left hand you're pressing numbered buttons for spells, or heals, or debuffs.

You need to also learn quick targeting hotkeys like tab, or make assist hotkey. And learn to cycle through your group members as necessary with F1-F6. Target a group members pet by hitting his number twice (F3 ...F3).

After a while it becomes muscle memory. For example right now I know that my clerics 3 buttons for grouping and most raiding is 3, 7, and 8. That's (for me) Heal over Time, Bullwark of Vie, and Fast heal. 9 is complete heal. On my warrior it's 1, 3 to start the attack on targeted mob and taunt. You get used to it after a day or two of playing. On all of my toons 9 is a special action specific to that classs. So on my monk 9 is FD. On my warrior it's Incite. On my wiz it's Evac. Cleric, complete heal. Bard, it's the melody for combat (8 is running and one other I can't recall is mana/HP regen).

The one thing you probably do NOT want to do so much is have 2 boxes that are both position dependent, i.e. they need to face a specific direction and need to reset if the mob moves. So, warrior and rogue boxes not so good.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

EverQuest is low in action per minute. You wont be boxing Call of Duty but EQ is very boxable. How hard it is to box depends on what classes you use and how you set them up.

For example...

By setting up my cleric's extended target window to match my group window, I can heal without looking at her screen. The 1st person in my group is her extended target 1. So when its low on my screen I press 1 and she heals that person. The order of her group window doesn't matter. The hotkey looks like this...
    /xtar 1
    /cast 1
    /cast 2
    /cast 3
    /cast 4

If you only box alone, you can just do hotkeys for each player / merc
    /tar playername
    /cast 1
    /cast 2
    /cast 3
    /cast 4

I box a mage because it's pet tank is a lot less work than a plate tank. All I need for my mage pet to tank is...
    /assist main
    /pet attack
    /cast 1; Malo

Then the mage just DPS with...
    /pause 30, /cast 1
    /pause 30, /cast 2
    /cast 3

Say you have a melee character, you can just have you tank position to mob so all you have to do is turn on auto attack on the melee.

Etc etc.

Simplifying your group makes everything a lot more efficient.
    Herf likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Tank leads, other characters on autofollow, tank tags moves to other side of mob & the boxes will be postioned opposite, perfectly placed for melee. Max shrink & everything you have can melee as well as cast, only exceptions will be mobs that you want to fight at range in which case if you box more than 1 other class you have them all follow one other box.

So Rogue isn't a bad box so long as you develop that repositioning manoeuvre, selos will mess up autofollow often causing boxes to overshoot though so I don't use selos once I am fighting.
    Herf likes this.
  9. Fluid Augur

My 2 cents. When TLP server Agnarr started the intent was one account where you had to focus on that character and grouping. I have two paid accounts but to stay with the spirit of the server, I only played one account on Agnarr. Guild I was in broke up, my characters were only in the 40s and 50s, I'm screwed. Point is, I am paying $30 a month, but by playing by the rules, I only get the same benefits as someone paying $15/month.

Now the two computers to play both account thing was never meant for boxing. It was so other people in your household could play too, like a husband and wife. Once again, this was an official policy for the server, it just happened to be an easy work around for people with multiple accounts and computers to play the system.

Now, not so much rule or policy enforcement. I started running my second account on Agnarr with the intent of circumventing the one account thing. It is a painful process and frustrating to no end. I mean I could have just broke the spirit of the server from the start and had an easy jaunt to level 65 by boxing.

So now Rizlona is coming out where the intent is to let you roll with multiple accounts. With multiple accounts using multiple computers pretty much requires you know how to macro and you are constantly switching from one keyboard to another, one display to another. It is a PIA! Compared to having a computer with multiple instances of EQ running, it is stone knives and bear skins kind of backwards. There are other ways of doing it, all illegal. Specifically doing things like circumventing the one instance of EQ on a computer via software hacks or even sending key presses from one computer to another are violations of the TLP/TOS.

I can't say how strongly I prefer my method of one computer with two monitors over any other method. I mean it is full screen for each instance of EQ and the mouse pointer moves between the two different displays. It still isn't as good as two people playing, just a close second.

I've probably confused the issue more then helped it. Aradune is for people who only have one account and Krono farmers that cheat. Rizlona is for people with paid multiple accounts that want to box, and Krono farmers who cheat. The cheating/circumventing will always be there, it's just for the people that hate boxing or only have one account and the people with multiple accounts that like boxing will now find a separate home.
  10. iamjjs3 New Member

Thank you. I will be joining Aradune!
  11. Karanthal Augur

Boxing just takes a bit of practice, EQ isn't really a game where you need a lot of actions per second. It's all about assist macros, my wizard I cant even reach the laptop keyboard but it's fine to play mouse only, only need /follow and 1 nuke macro like a regular wizard ;)

I box at times when I'm short on time rather than finding a group. I do find when I'm not boxing I still go to press assist macros on my other computers even if they aren't even turned on.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Lol - yeah took my kid asking me why I was hitting my other PC's keys when they weren't even switched on for me to realise I was reflexively doing that, muscle-memory is great.