What is the current state of Cultural Armor (DoN) if you want to do it, and how?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Questoften32, May 6, 2020.

1. Questoften32 Augur

What is the current state of race specific Cultural Armor (DoN) if you want to do it and how?
    Links, and pages seemed confused at the changes made. Anyone have a link to a valid updated guide for this expansion for some who just want to do the content?
  2. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

The original DoN recipes no longer work, which required drops from DoN zones. I remember way back always looking for metallic drake scales, for instance.

They were updated at some point, perhaps with the Secret of Faydwer, to use the global drops. Cobalt ore, Titanium ore, Mysterious Loam, etc, depending on the level of the armor and symbols you are looking to craft. Here's the eqtraders page for Barbarians, because, well, that's me.

http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g68&menustr=080040010000

As for viability of actually using this gear, let's compare the Barb plate BP for lvl 65-69 to an Elaborate Defiant BP for 59-70:

Elaborate Defiant BP
    MAGIC ITEM ATTUNABLE INFUSIBLE
    Slot: CHEST
    Purity: 40
    AC: 82
    STR: +21 (+1) DEX: +6 (+1) STA: +17 (+2) CHA: +17 WIS: +30 (+2) INT: +32 (+2) AGI: +8 (+1)
    HP: +264 MANA: +239 ENDUR: +240
    SV FIRE: +16 SV DISEASE: +9 SV COLD: +21 SV MAGIC: +15 SV POISON: +16
    Attack: +17 HP Regen +3 Mana Regeneration: +2 Spell Damage: +1 Heal Amount: +2
    Recommended level of 70. Required level of 59.
    WT: 11.3 Size: LARGE
    Class: WAR CLR PAL SHD BRD
    Race: ALL
    Slot 1, Type 7 (General: Group)
    Slot 2, Type 13 (Energeiac: Group)
    Slot 3, Type 21 (Special Ornamentation)

Elaborate Snowborn Cuirass + Eminent Chest Symbol of Judgment (fills the type 11 aug slot)
    MAGIC ITEM ATTUNABLE
    Slot: CHEST
    AC: 99
    STR: +19 (+2) STA: +19 WIS: +18 INT: +17 DEX: +12 AGI: +15
    HP: +145 MANA: + 145 ENDUR: +145
    SV DISEASE: +13 SV COLD: +13 SV MAGIC: +13 SV FIRE: +7 SV POISON: +7
    Mana Regeneration: +2
    Recommended level of 69. Required level of 65.
    WT: 4.5 Size: LARGE
    Class: WAR
    Race: BAR
    Slot 1, Type 7 (General: Group)
    Slot 2, Type 11 (Crafted: Group)
    Slot 3, Type 12 (Cultural: Raid)
    Slot 4, Type 21 (Special Ornamentation)

Not much contest, I think. Defiant simply floods the market for toons on live servers working their way up that didn't go heroic. It is easy enough to find in the bazaar that it generally isn't worth the time to craft the cultural. I tried it for a while a couple years ago when I returned from a long break, but I don't bother with it on my current alts. Too many other options. Basically, leveling is fast up to lvl 70 or so anyway, so I usually don't take the time to get new gear every few levels. The only benefit to the cultural over defiant is the Type 12 aug if you do the old raid seals or such, unless I'm missing something else.

It goes up to August (materials drop in TDS), which is 101-105, but it again only seems to be a little better than Castaway in terms of hp/ac, so maybe if you can fill the type 17 raid slot it would be worthwhile.

I like the system, though being so severely race-restricted is a problem for the market. Since it isn't that desirable anymore for alts being leveled up on live servers, there's basically no one making it to sell in the bazaar, which leaves you crafting it only for yourself.
  3. Questoften32 Augur

Thank you, but I still like the specific armor and doing things to make sets.

Its like making individual armor, like a custom suit you may make for yourself. Its the individual, creative and specific non generic nature that appeals.

I would take a slight to moderate stat hit to make it custom to race, class, just like there are better weapons than many 1.0's its a game, so I want to. ''You might almost think I was playing a game''.

I'll just say its the best for me, Like a tailor making his own suit instead of buying off the rack, or from another skilled tailor. His using his family tradition.

Besides I want to start crafting some of my things and on some characters and making all skills. I like grinding stats, and skills are close. I'm a rpg player type. I enjoy it, and actually view eq as a game that can build irl willpower and up concentration. It floats my boat.

In a game you do somethings strictly speaking not necessary to please yourself. You take your quality of life and store bought things where you don't choose to pick your battles or... with multiple characters you would burn out, and it would drive you crazy.

I loath streaming, homogenization or lack of choice and multiple paths. I like being an adventurer. Its part of the point of the fantasy. ''Or part of what makes it acceptable''.

For example: I liked hitting the bane strike button and want it back...btw part of what I paid for with that expansion. It was a + to have another button to hit on under 60 warriors.

I worked grinding to try to make the attack ''should I choose to use it to attack not just as a passive or achievement. I don't like player pianos ''except in classic films''.

I was exited for mastering an attack ''banestrike'' I could use. I want to banestrike them myself and bane-strike them good. Now I don't care about it as much except that its gone.
    I'll speak on that for years to come.

EQ players, well many are not, wow types. Its sort of like that with the gear. Yet I'm good nature d about it instead of ''in the negative, non constructive sense sense, hyper critical, like many are...at least mostly.

I loath stream lining putting things together and removing fun. Some people enjoy on some characters ''classes'' the lower levels and are hardly taxed with things. ''Types the would never play in a ''current sense'' so otherwise would not get to play and keep at all, like twinks or almost.

I would ''LIKE THE IDEA'' OF ARMOR ''1.0'' EVERY 10-20 LEVELS.

Oh and with that SAID: thanks again for the link. :)