What is the best duo combination for the new Agnarr server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by slayersaysdie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. DariyaVika Augur

Particularly once you're high enough to have a decent mana pool, the enchanter is there to kill everything with a charmed pet. The cleric is there to provide heals and occasionally rez when you get some bad breaks.
    slayersaysdie likes this.
  2. slayersaysdie Journeyman

Don't Druids get a 90% rez?
  3. osirissx New Member

Enhanter cleric is probably the best combo. I had Great success in 99 with my Necro and my roommates Shaman. We pulled off some craziness. And we didn't "have" to play together. if we wanted to solo we did. Or if one of us were raiding the other wasn't stuck with nothing to do. If we wanted to target hunt we could crew up and destroy things.
  4. Rolento23 Journeyman

I keep seeing threads like this, exp is far better in a full party. I cant ever recall being in a duo or trio on any of the TLPs. It was always more efficient to have a full group.

My suggestion would be play a class that is in high demand for groups. Enchanter, Cleric, a Tank. The only time I ever was in a party smaller then 4 would be camping a named spawn, or farming something easy at max level.

Exp is going to be insanely fast and groups will be all over. I wouldnt worry about the duo/trio thing unless you are anti social
    Kanuvan and slayersaysdie like this.
  5. DariyaVika Augur

Not until like level 69 I think.
  6. Kujoe Lorekeeper

Thinking I may start enchanter / druid box, for grouping and possibly solo camping names while not getting trained out of the zone. Druid will help with travel and PL of other tools.

But, also thinking necro / mage may be a blast to play and a good combo. No ports but seem to have ability to solo and fill dps spots in groups. Would this combo be able to handle named camps, or lacking heals would kill it?
  7. slayersaysdie Journeyman

Mage have pretty good tank pets and I believe they get really good pet heals and their AA lines really improve pets as well.
  8. Razzle Augur

Unfortuately since the server is capped at LDoN druids/shaman will not get rez.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Cleric or Druid it is a matter of play styles and camp choices.
    The differences were already covered in detail so no need to do it further.
    I will take a camp that allows Harmony over Lull pulling any day, it is just that good.
    This ain't Phinny, so xp comes far easier making a rez far less of an issue in particular if dying is rare.
    This ain't Phinny, we ain't racing.

But that is us we are not really interested in fighting mobs and players in Lower Smuck nor over concerned with gear because neither duo really needs it. Plenty of time for gear when the Bazaar drops as I have no patience for the Tunnels.
    Play style is everything and let no one judge your use of your time.
    Razzle and slayersaysdie like this.
  10. MaestroM Augur

So how does pet exp work? 1 damage and i get it all? 51% like classic?
  11. Tachyon Augur

Warrior/Cleric! Best tank, best healing and all you have to do is pick up some dps.
  12. Dweezil New Member

Lots of good ideas and info in this thread about duo's ..

I duo cleric/chanter with my wife, and have been doing so for a number of years. It's a very powerful team and we regularly hold camps and crawl through content that most won't attempt without a full group.

Playing a chanter is one of those classes that yes .. is easy to play, but from experience .. hard to play well. I have grouped with lots of chanters over my 18 years of EQ, and the difference between a played and a well played chanter is HUGE. If your going to duo with a chanter, having that class played well is essential, and it takes practice. It's a big learning curve.

Adding a cleric to this duo is alot more than healing, buffs and rez .. the one spell that seems to be ignored in this thread is the clerics ability to stun. Stun is the singly most useful ability that a cleric adds to this duo that a druid or shaman cannot. We duo every night for a few hours and over the course of a week, I rez maybe once or twice ... I cast stun every 6 mins or so. My spell loadout, even for an undead zone, contains 2 stuns, 3 heals .. and no DPS.

Cleric/Chanter duo is awesome when played correctly.
    Ming Tee and slayersaysdie like this.
  13. Tehsid67 Journeyman

I'm really curious about this as well. Changes the gameplay quite a bit. How does this work on TLP?
  14. Machentoo Augur

Last I recall, you need to do 1 damage if solo, if grouped it doesn't matter. It's definitely not 51% like classic, as changes like this are global, so whatever the current rules are for live will also be the rules for agnarr.
  15. Ming Tee Augur

Man I thought I finally settled on Enchanter/Druid and you point out the cleric stuns I have somehow forgotten about, protip. Chealing mobs are the most difficult to deal with especially early on in xpacs... but aren't the Enchanter stuns enough? I just played on phinny with a duo that lacked rez and it didn't bother me much so I know with the increased exp on agnarr it will be no probs... I will say I was in a big raiding guild tho so that helped. What I don't think I can do again is go without ports in the first 3 xpacs, some of those zones are so big and annoying to run through especially with boxes! Also being able to pl future toons is a big bonus for me as I plan on having 15 65s...with 1 trader =D. Tough decision, another option for me is more ez mode mage druid so I can Netflix and farm tm.
  16. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

When Ragefire released I decided to make 2 chars that I had never really played before. Bard/Druid Duo is what I ended up with. It wasn't the most OP duo or anything, but I never really struggled to level or find groups (Bard with mana regen got me groups easily) Solo killing was slow going but manageable, traveling was a breeze!! With true box idk if I really want to break out the laptop just to box, but if I did I would probably switch the duo up to something else. If I go solo I might go Bard again, I actually enjoyed the class in classic content.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Not in Classic. The pet nerfs done 12-18 months ago hit Classic the hardest. They get better as you go but it's really not until Luclin that mage pets get back some of their previous glory.
  18. Ottopaul Journeyman

A lot of responses have already detailed it, but i'd say both can be super OP, in different ways... it depends on what you plan to do with the duo.

Several people have listed strengths of clerics, and they are all correct. Rez is great, having Cheal on bigger/beafier pets will feel better than spamming greater heal. Cleric will also be the default healer in any group content, so you have the 2 cornerstones of an ideal group with a cleric/chanter pairing.

But there are a lot of druid strengths, some that i haven't seen mentioned. If the duo wants to go into deeper dungeons alone(just as a pair, no other group members), snare will be nearly essential. Also, there are many locations where a druid can animal charm, which doubles up on your pairs total DPS. Animal charm is limited, obviously, but where animals are available, it is great. Kunark has lots of animals in its outdoor zones, Velious also has some decent options. Luclin and PoP have available animals in almost every outdoor zone.
  19. Rhodz Augur

The only problem with Dru Charm Animal is the lack of Tash, which the Enc can provide but then we haven't had a case yet to use it given running a pet and healing etc is a bit busy. But no busier than the Enc can be doing CC while charming.
    Druids always needed a magic debuff for that one to work up to par.
  20. Thorn01 Journeyman

Difficult? No, nothing in this outdated game is difficult. Chanter, aside from bard simply has the highest skill cap in this game. Its one of the few classes where reaction time is very obvious. So the difference between a high reaction, attentive enchanter is much more noticeable.
    This becomes even more evident when you have bad enchanters who cant manage buffing/slowing/CC and charm while keeping their charmed pet hasted lvl 50 + and think mezz and /pet attack while keeping aug on all the melee and sitting 90% mana all night is acceptable.

Luckily, for most of you, you get to be mediocre and still play EQ.
    Troubadurix and slayersaysdie like this.