What is going on with the CotF release?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, May 8, 2014.

1. Edrick Augur

Collections are nice little things to get sidetracked on, and I doubt they take much resources to produce. You just create a few icons, a description for them, and find places to put them. The rewards for them now are housing items, and the models are set pieces from zones already in game.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You would kill EQ by doing that because the fact is most group players don't want to play watered down raid content. And you won't get people to group by trying to force them into it. Most group players are happy with group style content and it has a life beyond hours for them.

SOE had another online game with built in "hard setting" perma death and all that and guess what the game is closing down after only a couple of years. Stop trying to bring the raid game to grouping.
    Shimmerleaf likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Again you cant FORCE people to group. The only game mechanic that has changed grouping in Everquest was adding mercs. And I doubt they will be taking mercs out of the game but if you want to FORCE people to group that would be the way to do it. Remove mercs.

And the major reason grouping has changed other then game mechanics is because the people playing the game have gotten older. Most are not hard core into Everquest. I think a lot of people turn to boxing because they want to be able to play 20 minutes go afk half an hour come back play some more etc. A large amount of the EQ playerbase wants to play the game on their time schedule and give up on groups in order to have more control over their time iin front of the keyboard.
  4. Ravengloome Augur

1) I realize its never going to happen
    2) I am not a dev, there is no "you would kill EQ"
    3) I don't see the issue with things like Plane of War, or group missions having toned down raid components

Granted I am sure there are people that don't want those things, but wanting combat to be more involved and require more skill/attention isn't necessarilly a bad thing.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And the fact is that most of the player base do not want a HARD game. They want a medium challenge and something to play through while they relax after a day of work. Continually making group content harder and bring more raid mechanics into it is just going to kill EQ. Which sucks because I don't see any other games out there that I want to play.
    Shimmerleaf likes this.
  6. Ravengloome Augur

Medium challenge?

COTF is a far Cry from Medium challenge. Regardless of whether or not you steamrolled it, most of the people I know ripped through the content in record time < Alot of this has to do with the lack of actual content, alot also has to do with the fact we got a gear increase: but the mobs are actualy weaker then ROF.

ROF was much closer to what I would call a medium challenge then anything in COTF
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Lets not be silly of course it is implied "if you had your way" you would kill EQ. I don't think I implied you had the power to actually have what you want happen :)
  8. Ravengloome Augur

I don't see how An HA here, or a group mission there being hard/requiring a strategy and use of tactics would destroy EQ.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Just like not wanting raid mechanics or things like plane of war is a bad thing either. Neither is a bad thing. We each have our own preferences and neither is an "right" or "wrong" way. But the group game has always been separate from the raid game. Each has had a different style. Over the history of EQ the group game has always been primarily a straight forward fight with out all the little "Put your left foot in " and "Put your left foot out" mecahnics. The last year or two has shown SOE creating group content with these raiding mechanics (mainly I am guessing because its easier to just copy raid content in a toned down manner to create group content. This would all be well and good but the EQ player base is becoming MORE set in their ways rather then less. We have stuck with EQ for 15 years because we like EQ. Chaning the basic nature of the group game is an overall fail if you are trying to keep the silent majority happy. But that's just in my opinion and I guess I could be wrong.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well I agree and disagree with you regarding CotF. There were missions that were pretty challenging to the majority of the EQ player base and there were some missions that were very easy partially because they were swarmable making them laughingly easy for those who could swarm stuff. But what NPC in CotF were all the raiders and hard core group players sitting in front of? Gribble Grobblenobber the NPC that offered the easiest missions in CotF. People weren't lined up in front of any of the NPCs that offered more challenging missions. People are still lined up in front of Gribble. So it seems sort of obvious as to what content people want to play. Personally I like the gribble missions except I would love to have all the NPCs yellow and red.

I like ROF the only thing I didn't care for was all the SEE INVIS mobs. In RoF it made me want to go to a camp and then sit there forever till done with it logging in and out there to avoid the bother of having to run around or fight through a bunch of mobs to get to a camp.
  11. Casidia Augur

Content that cripples groups with box people on follow creates real grouping...
    zones like CH, BG and Xorbb were actually a step into the right direction here.

Content for "boxing" or merc groups is such an empty phrase, you could as well just say it's bad content.
    Zones lacking any creativity would be another way to put it.
    Pseudo groups always find a place to enjoy somewhere, they don't need content designed for them...
    when i slacked and boxed 1 alt i had so many places i could go, you can always slack somewhere in Eq so the real content should be designed *only* for groups that move around, run into little (or big) traps, and so on. All this talk about difficulty makes me quiet sick, the pyramid system would make sure there is always a place for relaxed gaming. Heck even GoD had easier zones, you were not forced to go to Kod Taz?
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually I don't believe you initially stated "a HA here or group mission there". And based on the amount of content SOE is putting out these days that would be half the content of the next release of CotF material. :)

I wont speak on behalf of all group players but on behalf of myself. Go play your raid game in raids and leave our group game alone. And sadly, like you, I don't have Super Dev powers to make that happen. Alas not even the Devs have those powers. I am sure if the Devs could devote as much time and resources as they would like to EQ that we would have a kick expansion every year.
    Shimmerleaf likes this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Unfortunately boxing is a LARGE part of EQ these days, That being said relatively talented boxers can do fairly tough stuff. EQ is not a sinle player non boxed game anymore over the last several years it has developed into a hybrid boxed grouper game and has to be handled as such going forward because we cant afford to lose any paying customers. If we think the Dev time and resources are bad now they would only get worse if boxers got pushed out of the game. And the major thing you forget is there are a LOT of boxers out there paying for gold accts for ALL their boxers. We aren't talking about Free to Play boxers though those must be in high numbers too.

Of course we are each going to promote the gaming style, play difficulty and such we prefer.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I guess we are still on topic if we consider this talking about stuff we would like to see coming up in CotF and beyond... .I guess.... :)
  15. Casidia Augur

I do not understand how not everyone wants really challenging content in a game.
    Really...when i play Civilization or so, i always tried to improve.
    When i boxed in Eq, i tried to do more and more crazy things. It was fun.

The point is, i could always have gone back to doing easier stuff. In Civ, when boxing in Eq...in every game. But when there is no challenge to move on, you normally should get bored after some time.
    I simply do not understand this, you are not advancing in life while doing trivial stuff in a game.
    There is virtually no gain in playing trivial content, while beating difficult things gives you a feeling of achievement. This topic is like a cancer, that prolly destroyed every chance of us ever getting an expansion like the old days again.
    Ravengloome likes this.
  16. Ravengloome Augur

^^^^ Exactly Replaying the same content year in year out, the only difference being bigger numbers, but the challenge level is the same is kind of boring...
  17. Malevolus New Member

So while there is plenty of debate about where the direction of future content should go, how difficult it should be, and what it should consist of, a few things have become blatantly obvious to anyone reading this thread.

1) Not a single person has posted that they are happy with the timed releases and limited amount of content contained in CotF.
    2) There are things that might need to be changed and even nerfed in the current game but rest mechanics, endurance mechanics, etc were NOT on that list as far as players were concerned.
    3) Sony devs seem oblivious to the state of concern the players are raising
    4) And finally (SONY if you read ANYTHING in this thread make it be this one) - the future profitability of expansions will be the result of your ability to appease your customer base with the current state of discontent in the game. If we reach another expansion cycle and sentiment about content volume within CoTF has not been addressed, NO ONE will be buying the next one at release for fear of a repeat. It won't take a mathematician to forecast the games future state and lack of revenue generation.
  18. Recnarp Augur

Not to be the guy that told you so, but I saw the writing on the wall when they announced CotF and the beta that came along with it. Still, even though I opted out of buying this expansion, I still feel that we all lost out regardless if you spent $40 on it or not. The winners weren't the customers this go around.

What I'd like to see in future content and expansions:
    1.) Hats
    2.) Free handouts
  19. Fendy Augur

Well that's interesting. It might take a link from Reddit before it gets noticed tho.
    Iila likes this.
  20. Iila Augur

The numbers for CotF must have been noticeably bad. The number of promotions and changes that screamed PLEASE BUY THIS EXPANSION were much higher than other recent releases. I knew this was going to be a terrible expansion and didn't get it for my alt's account. But being a raider doesn't give me much of a choice on buying it for my main account. Either quit the only reason I play EQ, or spend $40.

For the future, I'd like to see:
    1) Fewer/no misguided nerf waves like the upcoming ones.
    2) Better communication with Devs about both planned updates, and class changes like AAs/Spells. With the amount of time invested in both creating and using both of those, there's no reason any of them should be useless or terrible.