What is going on with the CotF release?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, May 8, 2014.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Can we get some answers please?

1. No new spells or AA in the next update of CotF, fair enough when can we expect them? It has been 7 months since CotF was released, the thread asking for suggestions was the 3rd February and that was the 2nd one we had without suggestions being used, so I'm sure you can understand why the players are upset.

2. Why only 1 zone, 1 raid, 2 missions and a few quests? Our last update was 22nd january, the 2nd update in RoF had 2 zones 2 raids, 2 missions and a bunch of quests, even the 3rd update had 3 zones and 3 raids. No one expected 4 months with no expansion update to only get 1 zone.

3 Is this what we can expect from expansion now? Paying the same and getting less and less content.

I'm not a happy SOE customer at the moment, but when the new anniversary content is more than the new CotF content, you cannot help but wonder where SOEs priorities lie. Why spend all that time on content which will only be in game a short time, when they are yet to deliver on the expansion players have paid for in good faith.

I'm hearing the Plane of War raid is extremely difficult, why make a raid so hard which will only be in for such a short space of time? Yet the raids which are in permanently have been a pushover, the logic seems backwards to me.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

At this point you need to really question what is going on internally that after several months they crank out only 1 zone, 1 raid, no AA/spells. Our total for CotF is now 5 zones. Wow. Even the Legacy of Ykesha expansion, which was the worst in EQ's history in terms of content, provided more than this.

--not non-constructive, still relevant and on-topic, many customers seeking answers without having threads locked down.
    Fenudir and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

4. Fenthen aka Rath

Soon
  5. Sinestra Augur

Along with this, they are nerfing a lot of classes too.
  6. Axxius Augur

Don't worry, the nerfs won't be delayed. ;)
  7. Makavien Augur

Plane of war raid has to be some kinda joke dwindle down the population the whole year . Lower everyone's raid days. Nerf warriors without rebalancing the content to said nerf.

And then smack us in the face with a temporary raid that kills most guilds in under a minute /cheers. Roi only made it to 59% last night so it is unbeaten.

While the new raid looks pretty simple from the beta notes

Oh yeah and nerf every single melee including said tanks that die faster then they can blink randomly and now can't even save the raid due to lack of endurance.
  8. wingz-83 Augur

Wow, something not beaten on day 1? That's rare anymore. GL to everyone else.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Sinestra Augur

Don't for get the wizard nerf and the enchanter nerf coming too.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

LoY was only a 6 month expansion, we are now month7 of cotf, so yes loy was better
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  11. Sinestra Augur

In the last year has any class avoided being nerfed?
  12. Makavien Augur

It's not a progression raid. It is a hey guy's thanks for playing for 15 years or less type of thing at least that is what I thought ?
  13. Roshen Brand Manager

Sure thing!

Once we're ready to announce the release of these, we'll certainly do so. They currently aren't planned to release with the Tower of Rot patch.

Plane of War development took some time as well, and that's released after Jan 22. While I understand that this isn't "COTF content," it still takes time from the team to put together for players.

This isn't actually a constructive comment. We're trying to be clear and transparent about where we're at in regards to the expansion.

To keep this forum moving in a constructive direction, let me respond to this question with another couple questions (feel free to answer either or both).

"What would you like to see from the rest of the Call of the Forsaken releases?"
    "What would you like to see from the next expansion?
  14. Marshall Maathers Augur

15. Hdoil New Member

For the rest of COTF I expected an amount of content not terribly far off of what we have had from the expansion so far. Maybe because it has been commonly referred to as COTF 1 and COTF 2 I expected them to be halves of the expansion.

More concretely I expected 3-4 more zones and 6-8 more raids before the release of the next expansion.

For the next expansion I would say a level of content on par with HoT or VoA. At the moment RoF has far more content than COTF and even RoF was considered inadequate in terms of content by many people.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  16. strongbus Augur

I go ahead and give a few answers

1st. like to see the rest of cotf with all spells/aa come out soon. By this I mean not 3 or 4 months down the road but say June/July. Sorry but one zone and its quests/missions/ha/raids are not going keep us busy for 3 or 4 months.

2nd. I rather see the whole exp come out at once. With smaller things such as extra zones/etc being the done each month. If this is not going happen then when you break it up in to 4 parts. Do it something like as follows. 1st release half of t1 with all updated spells/aa(not the new ones for the exp but just the standard upgrades of the spell lines). 2nd release rest of t1 with all new spells. 3rd release 1st part of t1 with all the new aas. 4th release all the rest of the exp. And each release should be at lest a few zones each.
  17. strongbus Augur

to add cause some reason edit not working for me. the next exp should be a lot bigger and please increase the level limit. And bring back the having to do quest to advance to the next tear zones.
  18. Iila Augur

So where are the answers? None of that text actually informed me of anything.

Is the team putting more effort into the fall expansion and less into CotF to adjust to complaints about CotF's release format? I would personally be fine with that, since CotF has been a wreck so far, with no indication that anything is getting better. And now we have no faith in seeing a staggered release expansion be worth the initial investment.

I'll quote myself from the thread Marshall linked

I guess I was expecting too much by pluralizing raids.
  19. Edrick Augur

It is a constructive comment, Roshen. If I went on a tangent about my favorite vegetable, that wouldn't be constructive. Someones concern about the game they have an invested interest in is absolutely a worthy issue that warrants a clear answer at some point.

I cannot speak for everybody, but from people I know in game, and from posts on this forum, feedback towards this release model has been largely negative. This was acknowledged in Dave Georgeson's letter concerning future content. In every expansion we've had in Everquest (save the "mini" expansion, Legacy of Ykesha) we've had significant amounts of content in the number of zones, quests, raids, and spells/AAs that advance our character/s. What we are seeing right now is nothing near that. The number of zones is very small, our new spells and AAs are tiny (and for some classes, useless,) and quests/raids are kept to a minimum. Does this make for a happy customer? I doubt it. It doesn't make for a happy Edrick. It makes me worry for the future of the game.

What would I like to see? Inspire confidence in your customers. Give us specific information (to a degree, of course) about the future of Everquest, instead of vagueness. Are we going to receive an expansion with the amount of content we're used to, and expect with the price being charged for it? All you have to do is let us know! Doing this benefits each side. Sony Online Entertainment will likely retain subscriptions and receive more income, and players will get content to play in the game they love.

The content model in Call of the Forsaken does not jive with me. I can tolerate a transition period with this expansion. If the next expansion follows a similar model, I don't know what will happen. Smedley himself, in a Reddit AMA, said with regards to this concern:

Tell us this is happening. It will be a net good for everybody.
  20. Hdoil New Member

Whats done is done. This patch is going to be what is on beta now. No dev can magically wave a wand and make it suddenly more than it is. It doesnt even particularly matter why this patch is inadequate, I dont really care if its from PoWar, Anniversary Quests, A million bug fixes, spaghetti code, or anything else.

Realistically what we would like to see from the rest of CoTF is pretty irrelevant at this stage of the game isnt it? If zones, raids, AA, spells arent already in mid development at this stage in the expansion there is almost no chance they could be created from scratch and provided to us in a time frame that would make them useful.

Likewise what we would like to see from the next expansion isn't terribly relevant either. I suspect its already well along the development process, and the fact that we tell you we would like you to give us triple the content does not somehow imbue you with the capacity or resources to actually give us triple the content.

What is relevant, and what I would like to hear, is a discussion from you (Roshen) and the devs about what we can expect going forward. Not what we the players would like, but what you the development team can provide.

If the rest of COTF is going to consist of one zone and two new raids so be it, let us know. If realistically the amount of content released with COTF is as much content as the development team can produce annually then so be it let us know. Give us the information we need to temper our expectations appropriately.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Durris and Szan like this.