What is a Bards Job in groups?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by James, Jan 14, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Thanks. I already use the /stop in my melody macros, but I refrain from changing to a nuke song on trash, simply because I fear the increase dps will not match the lost adps (have Trobadour Synergy rank 10, most AA are maxed out, gear is mostly EoK rnk 1 with assorted augs from TBM and forth ).
  2. Tucoh Augur

My bard box is usually between 60k and 100k DPS sustained. I go for hdex.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

Humm well went back and substituted all Tbm augs to dex... hdex is 832 now... minor improvement in the 5kdps range, sometimes spikes up to 45kdps, but mostly early 30ies...
  4. mmats Augur

What qualifies as sustained for you? Because those numbers seem pretty high.

My 105 rogue is doing 100k dps sustained over a 30 min session, thats with max AA and 2 chase daggers. Granted he doesnt have RoS expansion yet, but still.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Bards I play with usually seem to parse in the 50-60k range (likely would be higher but they're also pulling).
    On top of that just having them in group my dps goes up 20-30% without having to do anything special on my part. If I actually knew how to time my abilities with theirs it likely would be impressive.
  6. fransisco Augur

Bards need a debuff where they stop attacking and strike a pose, and it puts a huge debuff on the mob as long as the bard stays still.
    Quatr and IblisTheMage like this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Call it Magnum.
    Sheex and fransisco like this.
  8. fransisco Augur

[IMG]
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. Niloiv Elder

RoS did throw a little bone to bards, but when you are adding zeros to abilities and people still barely notice you are there - kinda sad face, but to the OP: in group, focus on being the best puller and support class you can be. Dont worry about making yourself shine, make those in your group feel better about the class they chose to play.

When Im grouping, I rarely even get to hit the mobs in a good group (and typically have to pull at least 2 at a time) I lay down my DPS echo, have the best songs in my melody first (Aria, warsong, proc and a Resouce Regen for melee heavy groups, and Aria, Fire, Cold, and a Resource Regen for caster heavy groups) If killing quick enough, you only have a chance to fire off 2-3 songs, but have a full melody ready for namers. Toss out a Boastfull Below as Endurance lets you (but once again, stuff dies so fast it may not get the big Boom at the end). I personally like using Insults in group play as RoS synergy has a decent addition to the group's dmg (EoK's synergy should be good in older content).

Hope this helps
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Skalde Elder

Sustained is basically straight grinding for 30 mins +, any competent melee class can sustain over 100k at 110 easily especially bards unless they're always pulling and have no time to dps.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Ohh Franster, that is not Magnum, that is Blue Steel...
    Sheex likes this.
  12. fransisco Augur

I...
    [IMG]
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

However long until my endurance runs out from popping vainglorious on everything :D
  14. Zachton Soulstriker Augur

My bard boosts groups, pulls, slows, CCs, backup tanks, and even primary tanks things. DPS wise in groups he is often one of the higher parsers, and often makes the parse on raids, while even backup tanking or rampage tanking if we are low on knights. I don't get the bard hate. Bards rock.
    IblisTheMage and Kacman like this.
  15. mmats Augur

Wouldnt that be only about 5 minutes?
  16. Quixotic Journeyman

Bards can tank and keep aggro just fine in groups, but to do so, it means that they aren't boosting the group's dps anymore.
  17. fransisco Augur

I don't see a bard holding agro if dps classes are burning.

Plus the bard will need to be overgeared for the content (raid gear, t2 gear in t1 content, or super healing). There is the fact that a good cleric can keep anyone alive if they don't get 1 rounded.

Sure bards "can" tank, but any good dps will rip the mob off them
  18. Quixotic Journeyman

Both of the above are incorrect. I tanked t2 EoK with t2 EoK group gear, with a druid healer. I know of others that did the same. And I know raid geared bards that hold aggro against raid gear -good- DPSers. I've known bards who have been their group's tank for years, with -good- DPS.

They can't be undergeared, at all, unlike a knight or a war. But they don't need to be overgeared.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

So, trying to up my group bards dps performance;

http://www.raidloot.com/Search.aspx?type=Aug_1Hand&order=Proc: Damage&augslot=4, 8&class=Bard

I am guessing I should get the best available augs from this list, dualwield, pump up hdex, and...?

Wielding wyrmslayer and some chardok weapon, mostly EoK T1 gear, tbm hdex aug5, mostly bazar crap aug7 for a bit of ac, will get hdex aug7 instead over time. 19+k AA.

(Dots and nukes are not an option most of the time, trash dies in 15+ sec, nameds get nuke and dicho in melody plus epic click.)

Help highly appreciated :)
  20. Kacman Augur

This is FAR from true. A /melody bot is at BEST 50% strength of a real bard.

A /melody bot loses a shitton of DPS, crowd control, AA/clickie timing, and situational awareness.

I have been in a lot of groups that have a /melody bot bard that are surprised at all that i bring to the group and gladly drop their bot for me whenever they see me /lfg.

/melody bots are what is giving bards a bad reputation!
    Quatr and code-zero like this.