What if we had a new race or a new class?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnomereaper Augur

So Drakkins are so 2007.
    Berserkers date back to 2002?

New race ideas:
    1. vampires
    2. fairies
    3. Othmir
    4. werewolves

Placing the class in say Freeport or Neriak Foreign Quarter would reduce a lot of the problems of shoe horning in another race. Using say the base faction systems already present and a pre-existing faction "taking in" the new race and welcoming them. Freeport has an open policy within new races. Neriak took in the Trolls, and already have the infrastructure to take in a new race.

New classes

We should be overdue for a new healing class. We've received 2 new dps classes.

Everquest 2 has the Channeller:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Channeler

Basically a pet class with a weird healing mechanics that can use different weapons.

Vanguard's Disciple

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Disciple_(Class_Guide)

The Disciple is probably the most straight forward: Deal damage and heal.

Vanguard's Blood Priest

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Mage

Blood magic, blood healing. A wisdom based caster in cloth. The best part is that it eats other souls.

The reason for a different healing class is mainly because the necessary problems within the class balance, that having a wider swath of different classes to play allows to draw people in with different play styles.

I can already see Othmir Blood Priests being a thing.

What are your thoughts on a new race or new class?
  2. Cicelee Augur

No.
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Zamiam Augur

lets not give the Devs too much . me thinks a new race/class would be a bit overboard for them .. more to try and balance and nerf .. no thanks
  4. Sagarmatha Augur

It will never, ever happen.

Daybreak can barely keep up with the game as it is.
    Buford T. Justice and McDougal like this.
  5. McDougal Augur

LMAO Cruel but true.
    Buford T. Justice likes this.
  6. Zaviere Augur

Honestly, I believe the chances of getting a new player class are basically zero at this point. Way too much work to tie in a new class all the way back through so many existing expansions, on top of creating unique mechanics, spells, abilities, etc. for 110 levels worth of a character. Not gonna happen.

A new playable race is almost as unlikely, but maybe not quite.

The first thing that comes to mind is Kerran. I could see a long lost, hidden society of Kerran emerging from the depths of somewhere or another (or even an evolution of the existing Kerran region in Toxxulia Forest) and joining the ranks of the other playable races in Everquest. Perhaps work it out to be similar to how Guktan Frogloks came to be, or something. Give them class options similar to Vah Shir, hell maybe even merge them in with Vah Shir society, since lore-wise that's supposedly how Vah Shir came to be. I'm sure they'd gladly take in their long lost ancestors!

That's a very cat-lover biased idea, though. I admit to that.

As for other possibilities off the top of my head, quickfire style:

-Burynai
    -Aviak
    -Dragorn
    -Luggald
    -Swinetor (LOL)
    -Kobold

I'll +1 the idea of Wurine (werewolves) suggested by the OP, for sure.

A lot of the above WOULD require Guktan Froglok-like origin stories, but I mean, it's been done once... why not again?

Anyways, as nice as something like a new race would be for this game, again I just don't see it actually happening. It's still fun to consider it, though! And who knows? Maybe down the line, after releasing enough cash grab TLP servers, Daybreak will be able to afford the extra time and resources it would take to pull off something like a brand new race or class. Doesn't hurt to hope~
  7. Lubianx Augur

I would say make Alarans a new race. I could therefore keep killing it to finish evolving my tear :)
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I would be happy with another opportunity to create a new class/race combo. I'd argue for Iksar Berserkers just like I did originally. It just works so well with their history.
  9. Redrum_Redrum Augur

I 100% agree with this. This new class should be a hybrid called a shredder. Base stats at level 1 are 1billionper swing and 10 billion per dd cast. This way when 99% of the server class changes to the flavor of the month and devs nerf the class stats 99.999% it will make all other classes look good again and table all previous debates about what class nerf is the worst.
  10. snailish Augur

I don't expect EQ to get a new class ever. If they could consolidate current classes without causing a mutiny they would probably already have done so.

New race is doable, but not likely to be a 100% from scratch fresh leveling chain with own home city thing. So then it needs to be something that fits into existing places (story/lore can be added). Any race could have Freeport and Crescent Reach as home city options.

-Fae/brownie/woodland ally of some sort can easily be tied into Kelethin. Could be the excuse to add more class trainers there too.

-Kerrans could be added to Erudin and Shar Vahl...

-Aviaks out of Surefall and Qeynos

-vampires, werewolves, fallen High elves (Mistmoore types) maybe you can stretch the lore for a Neriak start... luggalds are almost less of a stretch

Drakkin have the "heritage" tab... maybe this can be manipulated to add "races" without adding new races. If Dark Elf heritage was "Dark elf, vampire, werewolf, luggald", Half elf could be "half elf, aviak" and so on. No gear would need to be changed, as it is already flagged to the parent heritage.

The above also provides incentive to keep adding race/class combos. Which I would pepper retroactively through eras to pay for itself with progression server potion changes. Live gets the full benefit right away.
  11. Daedly Augur

What would be more common?
    Fairie Paladins
    Or
    Fairie Rangers?
  12. Lufraki Elder

I suggest Giant as a new race... they are literally everywhere in the world and have pretty much every class available to them.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

There are killer bunnies in CotF... would totally rock as playable race... would be most popular race ever, for a while...
  14. Daedly Augur

Race: Turtle's
    Classes: Ninja or any melee.
  15. fransisco Augur

I really like the idea of a new race.
    Class won't happen. All it could do is steal someone elses lunch
  16. svann Augur

Edward Scissorhands - specialty Coiffures and landscaping
  17. Daedly Augur

So like those goblin looking mobs that class for hands in Plane of Nightmare?
  18. fortuneteller Augur

Wow, subject number 10000001 about new race/class. Even when people KNOWS there wil never come any.
  19. Daedly Augur

I feel like you used the word "knows" incorrectly... In case yous didn't knows it

Edit: Though, if you replaced "people" with "everyone", then it seems correct. Which now has me pondering why one seems right and the other doesn't. Hmm
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Gelatinous Cube Race.
    Evye, Duder, Astral64 and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.