What if players had immunities?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by menown, Aug 15, 2014.

1. menown Augur

This thread is just for fun.

We all know that SKs and Necros already have fear immunity and Paladins have a stun immunity. What if all classes could have an immunity? This would bring some disparity between the ever growing shared class abilities. I think the NPCs have been holding out on all of the immunities for far too long. Here are some ideas that I thought would be fun.

SK/Necro - Fear immunity
    Paladin/Cleric - Stun immunity
    Ranger/Druid - Snare/Root immunity
    Bard/Enchanter - Charm/Mez immunity
    Beastlord/Shaman - Slow/Spell slow immunity
    Warrior/Monk - Knockback immunity
    Mage/Wizard - Sinkhole immunity
    Berserker/Rogue - Reverse sinkhole immunity

Other possible ideas could be DS, Gflux, mem wipes, etc.

List some of your ideas. Remember, this is just for fun!
  2. Riou EQResource

Paladins don't have stun immunity, they have fear immunity with SK, Necro, Warrior and Berserkers (I believe)
  3. menown Augur

Ah, sorry about that one.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ogres have stun immunity.

Change wizzys and mages to immunity to be summoned!
    Axxius likes this.
  5. Brogett Augur

Rogues would probably be poison immunity. Monks could be FD immunity (both a blessing and a curse perhaps! lol). Berserkers, err maybe spin-stun immunity (how we all hate that effect!) or better still damage-shield immunity. Mages/Beastlords ideally would want some immunity for pet perhaps rather than self.

Immunity to summon would be gamebreaking though for wiz as it'd make them able to solo everywhere basically. Maybe make them immune to spell reflect on one type of spell (cold for them, fire for mage?)
  6. noclue Elder

What if players had immunities?

I can see it now, class A (caster) gets immunity from the dreaded X. Every caster, dps, tank, and priest class will post a /whine it's not fair, right, etc that class A gets it and we don't.

It's an interesting idea though.
  7. code-zero Augur

Ogres have frontal melee stun immunity.
  8. Forcallen Augur

I would choose making my class immune to major nerfs for stuff thats been in game over 2-3 years. Nothing bothers me more then investing your time into a game and toon to play with friends to have it drastically changed on a whim for what amounts to no reason other then a pet peeve in most cases.

Tuning to get something right when its new (sub 2 yrs) or major game breaking aspects fix away but something being a certain way for longer then 3 or so years should never be outright removed or gutted just because its suddenly not liked or hard to work around. You had 3 years to tune it to acceptable.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Jaerlyn Augur

If more people had immunities, you'd just see more complaints about how effects are being written that do the -exact- same thing as the immunity covers, just the new version works on them. (Since some people are fear immune, the devs have simply had mobs 'charm' them, and make them run away, but still called it fear...)

Just like there are -many- effects now that get through DA. And not just from rares, or named mobs.. but from just general trash. Yet it goes through DA.
  10. silku Augur

We asked for charm/mez immunity during the last round of AAs and they told us no.
  11. Benedorf New Member

Shaman immune to being slow.... Who cares? this would be a useless immunity IMHO

Not like *NOT* being slowed is gonna make us want to rush out and start meleeing
  12. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

How about Mage Pets being Immune to damage.................Wait oh Never mind they almost already are..................

(sorry i had to do this, hope you all get a Laugh!)
    Mithrandyr and Elricvonclief like this.
  13. Axxius Augur

Immunity to spell slow would be useful in certain raids.
  14. Uxtalzon Augur

If we get an immunity, they'll just code some BS in raids that overrides it. Paladins and Shadowknights get fear immunity, but during the Fear Itself raid against Cazic-Thule, he can still fear you into the wall in a mass suicide spree.

And while tanks need high stun resistances, there are still times when I get stunned over, and over. Some cleric mobs will cast those ten second stuns, and sure enough they land. Try fighting Vallon Zek in Plane of Time raid and he'll stun the blankity blank out of me. Charm/mez resistance? Tell that to people trying the Kyle Bayle mission against the beguilers. Probably the same on raid.

I can see why they don't want to give more immunities, because they don't want to deceive players more than they already do. :)
  15. Serriah_Test Augur

Ogres have full frontal immunity?
    ;):eek:
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The Devs right now are dealing with problems that come from overpowering players. That's the whole nerf issue(s) that are getting giant threads. Whether or not you agree with the nerfs, SOE hopefully has learned the lesson that they had better think twice (make that 10 times) before handing out anything beyond minor upgrades in power.

Giving out immunities would just cause problems later when they want to base a mob or mission or raid around something but can't because some players are immune. Then they do the normal "cheating" by having some mobs bypass the immunity. This just gets people angry that they were given something that turns out to be less powerful than promised.

Look at all the things they have tried to deal with after the fact:

Slow - Their answer: Slow mitigation.
    Haste - Their answer: No further percent improvements, or just the fact that it is capped. Therefore, further improvements in the spells add attack or other bonuses, while keeping the same speed.
    Pets - Massive threads on this issue right now.
    Invisibility - Their answer: They created a Version 2 of it, which was pretty much a failure.
    Rogue SoS - They made mobs able to see through it.
    See invisibility - Everyone can now with Faerune. Which also lets people see in the dark, making the racial differences mostly moot.
    Resists - This is a huge problem that they are still trying to deal with. They already tried something that was rolled back after massive protests. They also added Corruption that does not suffer the same mudflation but it is rather lame.
    Pally Splash - Was nerfed, but is still pretty awesome.
    Levitation - It is so easy to be levitated, that they go create zones where it doesn't work. Basically very disappointing for the players to have the magic to levitate and then have to deal with so many zones where you can still fall to your death.
    Mana - The Devs are not happy that mana is mostly a non-issue in the game. Tower of Rot tried to change that with a raid with zone-wide debuff.
    Death - The penalty for death is pretty low at this point. With the ability to get a 96% rez at any time with cleric mercs, to summon your corpse in the guild lobby (still too expensive, though), and to regain mana quickly, this is not as 'hardcore' as some would like.

Many, many other issues that I haven't listed.

One wonders if in The Darkened Sea the Devs thought about making your helmet Faerune not work in the zones so they can make drowning a risk. This is also likely to be the reason that Endurance is still such an issue for melee classes. They are afraid of making it practically unlimited.

Almost the worst thing you can do to someone is give them something great and then later take it away. That is worse than never giving them it in the first place. One can only hope that SOE has learned this lesson.
    Wyrdyn and Uxtalzon like this.
  17. sojuu Augur

Still horrible for melee prob more than anyone with the melee slow
  18. menown Augur

I think that a lot of you missed the point of this thread. It is just supposed to be fun. I guess everyone is so critical right now because of all the nerfs that are going around.
    Brogett likes this.
  19. Kolani Augur

Spell slow immunity would be *massive* - on the subject, I find it interesting how many people don't know that ogre stun immunity only applies to melee stuns. I see ogres all the time confused as to why they've been spell stunned.
  20. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Warriors as a class already have Melee Stun (not Spell Stun) Immunity from any direction, and were granted Fear Immunity in the Reign of Fear expansion. If we were granted anything further, I'd only ask for dealing with Forced Movement effects (gravity, push, fling, knockback, mob melee push, whatever). I don't expect to see it, though.