What if no class ever got nerfed?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Renotaki, Feb 21, 2020.

1. AppleSplatter Journeyman

I remember when charmed pets could attack players on blue servers. That went on forever before it got fixed.
  2. Bronut Augur

It's shaman. imo.

the OP - Renotaku, is a Savage at wizard. just wanna give some due credit.

I started playing a chanter when i was 11, so i have my hat in the chanter game, and a decent sample size of its history. I don't think it would be the most OP unnerfed. I know about the potion belt hotkey that gave heals at a click and unlimited mana ect ect ect.

Shaman for a time could Run tribute, passive AA, and preincarnate and have a 100% procrate on DA/2nd life.

If you blocked the DA in the song window you would die (but not die) and be able to keep casting.

Only a dot could kill you through this effect.

If you use canni when you were below 40%, it would give you mana, and re-set the canni ability, thus unlimited mana.

This, stacked with their savage ability to heal and dps, i would say makes them the most OP class in game if un-patched.

I watched two shammy take down a current content raid using dots. The heal parse was insane, just off the "DI" procs.

- also blocking the DA, allowed them to keep agro, so they were the best tank in game if you let them seal agro.
    Skewert, Renotaki and RPoo like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Sounds like an idea for a TLP server.
    Skewert likes this.
  4. Cailen Augur

if all enc nerfs were undone all the way back I'd be tanking raid bosses while chain ae stunning the adds and toping the parse
    Skewert and RPoo like this.
  5. Renotaki Elder

I am seeing plenty of votes for both shaman and enchanter. I see compelling arguments for both of these classes. It sounds like Shamans would be nearly immortal (and of course, have that crazy dot damage) and Enchanters would have have a massively Versailles kit and be able to do almost anything they wanted (while being a bit less immortal than the Shamans, but still probably nigh un-killable).

I'm sure either of these classes could create a scary raid force with only their own kind in raid if nothing ever got nerfed.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

If Rangers were never nerfed, we wouldn't have run 10 or Bluster spells.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

Wish warriors had some of that magic mojo back in the day.. unfortunately the best "trick" we got was shakerpaging hah
  8. Triconix Augur

Pre-nerf 30% DI Mitigation Shield stance stacking with LS for 75% DI mitigation? 100% uptime NTTB? It essentially made us unstoppable in the group game.
  9. Renotaki Elder

As a side note, I'm surprised no one has suggested necros as a candidate yet. Guess they just wouldn't be viewed as the *most* overpowered.
  10. Natal Augur

If a class was overpowered then the next expansion two things would happen: (1) mobs would scale up more than normal to compensate, punishing everyone, even the less powerful classes; and (2) the overpowered class would receive very small power increases to get them back in line.

As a general point, if a particular class has inadvertently been provided with some ability that provides them with a level of power that breaks the current and future game design, that has to be scaled back for the good of the game. If the devs don't do that it has repercussions that become increasingly difficult to balance around going forward.
  11. Renotaki Elder

To be clear, i'm in now way advocating this as a good or realistic idea lol In fact, the whole premise of this hypothetical question is that this would make classes incredibly hard to balance and overpowered (to varying degrees). And this premise also makes the assumption that the devs would continue to give classes whatever they felt like without thinking about re-balancing other classes in the next expansion intentionally. I'm sure mobs would become incredible to keep up with what the top dps classes / tanks would look like in this world. I'm mostly interested in discussing what classes would look like compared to each other. And for this premise to work, we would need to suspend our disbelief to the point that we'd assume that the devs would be developing classes as if blindfolded to class balance and also never back-peddling bad decisions. Any idea they ever had for classes goes, and even broken/ unintended things go unchecked due to apathy.
  12. Tymeless Augur

bring back shakerpaging!
  13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

There was very briefly a bug with doppleganger that allowed you to instantly refresh the ability but then proceed to cast the effect. I once had something like 20 dopplegangers going.

Back then there was definite fear when you could do something that seemed to be clearly unintended, so I didn't experiment further with how far I could push it.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The problem with that is some of the broken parts actually scaled up with content difficulty so it would not hurt the OP classes as much as you would think.
  15. Speckle Journeyman

Rangers have 0 delay archery and can instantly kill anything.