What happens on May 8th when free access ends..?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jazi, May 6, 2020.

1. Jazi New Member

What happens on May 8th when free access ends on the 20th Anniversary TLP servers? (I'm on Selo.)

I wanted to play some EQ during the lockdown and have been enjoying it, but I'm not sure I can afford the monthly subscription. So what are my options? Is it true that I have to pay $25 in DayBreak cash to switch to a free server? Also, my account is almost 2 weeks old - less than the 30-day transfer requirement. Please help me figure out what my options are. Thanks!
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The access stops.

/testcopy before the access ends & you can play a copy of that character completely free on the test server.

If all you are playing is a F2P character below level 85 I would say it just isn't worth it to transfer, just re-roll on a live server or the test server.
    Duder and minimind like this.
  3. Jazi New Member

Thanks Skuz for the response. Yeesh. Even though my char is about to hit only 30, I'm already attached. Would hate to just abandon him. Also, will the copy to test work if the test server shows "locked"?
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Probably not, but you should get a confirmation message that lets you know if the /testcopy was good or it failed.

Test server had some issues after a planned maintenance but it should be back up soon.

I should also mention that the original character doesn't get any of the progress you may make on Test, and if you later redo the testcopy from the original character it will overwrite the test copy you originally made & wipe out any progress you made on it while playing on test.
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Have you seriously put yourself in character? What I mean is, are you role playing it heart and soul or just poking your head in to see what is what or just wanted to get as high level as possible before it ended? If it's the latter two than it's no big deal. You either just stop playing or reroll. Rerolling may have the advantage that since you now know what you want and have put a little time in, maybe you could make a better base character or change completely to try something new as playing a new race and classe can be fun.

If it is the former, then it becomes a little more difficult for people who play more than just 0's and 1's, textures, etc. It becomes a part of you. A second skin for some. They live out their fantasies online. I'd say pony up the money if there is no way to transfer, which I am new in the sense of modern EQ, so I am not the greatest resource of information and in fact have my own question about these server.

I will say however that although it is $15 a month, there may be something cheaper for a three month package and definitely for a whole year. $120 may sound like a lot, especially up front, but it is only $10 a month for a whole year's worth of coverage. Unless you are counting every pay check to the last cent and I've been there and done that, you should be able to find ways to save that much if you truly enjoy EQ. A little less going out to eat, a few more chores, skip on smokes (not good for your health anyway), a little over time from work, ask for an early birthday and or Christmas present, anniversary gift, etc. Or work the streets if you are of age... you gotta do what you gotta do my friend. ^^!

Now my question is, is the limited free play for progression servers all the progression servers or only certain ones? I had it in my head that it was the most popular/preferred ones. Looking at my server I am currently playing it is a progression one up to PoP plus two extra expansions. I want to say it is Agnor, Abgar or something like that. The servers are down so I can not look at it. Regardless, it was not one of the preferred ones, so I am not sure if my play time there will be removed as well.
  6. Jazi New Member

I appreciate your thoughts Smoochy. I played EQ almost daily in 1999-2000, before Kunark came out, so I definitely understand the magic of the game. If players I meet are roll playing, I'll roll play, too.

It's only been about two weeks, but as I said, I grow attached easy. I'm about level 30, and I want to keep going, not have to redo the progress I've made. You're right, it's not too much money, but I didn't mention that this time around, my 9 year-old son is playing too. So we're really talking about two subscriptions, which adds up. I'm not financially desperate, but we're trying to save wherever we can. I'm not sure we can justify $200+ for online gaming right now. I might just bite the bullet and add one month, just to get us to summer when hopefully the kids will be busy with other activities. But I'm not sure. I'll have to sleep on it.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

$200 is nothing to sneeze at. Even $100 can be an investment. Extra time working to afford the extra money takes away from playing. Family of course comes first, with no questions asked- PERIOD. You could be doing very well in life and have everything you need, but just fall short with trying to convince yourself that you could splurge on a month to month or a year to year investment for a video game.

For me I prefer paying (when I did pay) monthly. I was the in military at the time, plus I have ADD so I can tire quickly of games. Not so much EQ, but of the same class for levels on end. So for me if I was to be deployed while playing EQ (although I am sure I could of worked out something with Sony) or I just tired of the game, I did not want to waste a lot of money. Yet if I was constantly playing non stop for years, but never took advantage of yearly discounts, that would of been poorly chosen on my behalf.

I guess the real question is, can you get away with one account and just play when your child is at school or learning from home and or in bed? You would just have to explain he does not touch your characters and you do not touch his. I think that is a fair solution. Now if you want to work as a team, that is something different since you two would have to be on the same server at the same time. Or maybe he does not care as long as he gets to play on any server and thus he can use the free account.

But I think a compromise would be in order if funds is an issue for something as trivial as games. Or make it a life lesson and he gives up something as you would give up something to offset the cost of two accounts or he just does more chores around the house, etc. If you two are really into Everquest, make it a rule that other videos games do not get purchased except on special occasions like birthdays and or Christmas/Steam Summer and Winter sales where discounts are plentiful and very generous. EQ could just be that video game that you just keep putting money into it, lick a crackhead. ^^!

Edit: On a side note, you can earn Krono/buy Krono in game with in game money and use that to pay for your dark habits. ^^! However they do not come cheap in my opinion and I have never earned the kind of money a single Krono is selling for these days. You might be different though. Personally I'd rather just work at McDonalds for an hour or two to afford another month of EQ. ^^!
  8. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

The server is Agnarr (PoP-Locked Progression) Standard Server.
  9. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

If you like the early eras of EQ and are unable to afford the habit ATM, look at P99. It gets old after a while, but the leveling community is fantastic, and it's 100% free.
    Aenvar likes this.
  10. Marope Lorekeeper

You'll have to wait for test to be back up in order to copy over. It's acting funky since the last patch.
    But do the /testcopy you won't regret it. It's a great server.

PERKS
    • Full content unlocked including all expansions (equivalent of paid subscription on live servers + expansions free).
    • You can make up to 8 characters per account on Test.
    • No limitations on Mercs, so as a F2P player you can get the journeyman mercs on test (you have free Gold Membership)
    • Test Server is always ongoing, so never wipes.
    • Test receives all new content and expansions weeks before regular servers.
    • Serverwide DOUBLE EXP! This applies to LOTD & Hotzones as well so you can effectively get 8x EXP!!
    • Ability to copy over ANY existing toon from ANY server by logging in and typing /testcopy! The only limit is once every 8 hours, so just keep copying over an alt with all your cash and special items on it and you will never have cash problems in game
    • Leveling is really fast, you actually see your EXP bar move when you kill stuff (not like days of old when it took 3 days of hardcore playing to get 5% EXP, lol)
    • Ability to instantly level any new level 1 character to level 25 will a full suit of armor and all spells/songs for that class by typing /testbuffme.
    • Immediate unlock of ALL veteran reward AA's. Your account doesn't need to be from 1999 to get all of the beneficial veteran AA's!
    • Decent sized player activity results in enough people on to usually find a group but not so many people on that certain things are perma camped.
    • There are raiding guilds on Test.
    • Multiboxers are welcomed and not harassed.
    • You can be power leveled from level 26-100 in 1 day by friends or guildies.
    -----------------------------------------

There are tons of benefits to test, and having the most helpful players around do not fear to ask for help in general chat. The general chat on test is like a guild chat on live servers, everyone there will be extremely happy to assist you.

Good Luck and have fun.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Agnarr requires all access normally, so once the event is over yes you will need to sub or consume a Krono on your account to continue playing there as F2P access is ending shortly.
  12. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I see and I apologize as it may of been very plainly stated here or elsewhere, but if you have Silver status, are you able to continue playing on all servers or you are restricted as well?
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Silver status is an improved F2P that has some additional benefits on Live servers, only all-access accounts will have access to the TLPs once the event ends, same as before the event.