What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. RandyLahey Elder

Yeah he/she was mentioning how they had to keep putting new rods into the hotbar. That will at least alleviate that issue.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

It does not, unless I put it in the exact same inventory slot.
  3. Beggly Augur

Ditto. There is no reason to fix something that is not broken. Further, if they would make aa's and abilities usable as macros, a lot of people could cut down on the number of hotbars they use. By the way, if I am wrong about the aa and ability macros, please instruct me.

There were a lot of redundant things in EQ that should have been worked on way before potion belts were addressed.

For magicians, the item charges countdown on the potion belt was particularly useful, in that we have a lot of summoned items with charges that we use constantly. Knowing when one is about to run out without having to open bags and check was a great time saver.
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Right.
    That's why i said earlier that the ability to bind the item(-id) to a hotbar instead of just the bag#,slot# would substitute that - we have something to look forward to.

On the other hand, my cleric uses a rod too at times, and i have no issues placing the modrods into the exact same slot every time (as a workaround yes, but still). So i really cannot comprehend much of the fuzz about it, even though i know of course that some bags are much more of a mess than on my chars - get around to clearing them up, you messies? :)
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I can tolerate it. I've learned to just do what is needed. But currently it's a horrible usability adjustment. Hopefully they'll fix it soon as they hinted t hey would.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  6. Moege Augur

It is possible:
    /alt activate
    /discipline
    /doability
  7. xcitng Augur

nothing i have seen in any of these potion belt threads is good enough to replace it ... i bought that potion belt long ago and have used it on my characters on all of my accounts ... a hotbar will not replace it even if they add *some* of the things from the potion belt to it ... they need to replace it all, including the size
  8. Zamiam Augur

glad you were able to find the correct thread :p
  9. xcitng Augur

the other thread was asking for help because of the loss of the potion belt, so my post fit there as well as here
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That’s pretty much all Forum-Quest is when they change anything at all whatsoever in any way; one giant tantrum.

I’m going to wait and see what happens in a couple weeks before getting too annoyed, but that’s just me.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  11. Haffa New Member

the biggest utility of the potion belt was being able to drop anything and everything that was on your curser into the PB you can not do that with a hot bar and setting up a hot key for autoinventory is slower plus when in a hurry ya need to find it on your hotbars
    PB could drop it in any square even if had potion in it
    i mean items like when you forage or create things summon things get things from quest
    ANY THING that is on your curser with out having to open inventory window or set up a new hot button
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Is anyone using a bag as a replacement for the potion belt?

I'm using my satchel of legacies lost stretched out to one slot high and positioned where my belt was.

Satchel is in lowest right hand inventory slot, so it's the last to fill with junk.

You see the full stack size, and have a convenient place to drop things on your cursor.

Create a hotbutton for the satchel to open it (hold left mouse down til button comes off bag), assign label 'Potions', and potion icon. I have a habit of opening everything with shift-B and closing again, which closes my little potion belt replacement.

Temporary solution til we see what they're planning?
    Geroblue and Yinla like this.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Yep, i can relate to and agree with that.
    Change is never easy, we are "beings of habit" and that makes transition bothersome.
    And yes, some functionality is currently "lost" - for how long, only future can tell.
    Also, an explanation on the "why" and "what good is this change doing in the grander scheme of things" would or at least could help with user-acceptance i think.

So far, i gather people are missing the following:
    • auto-inventory by dropping an item on cursor over potion belt
    • ability to see full (combined) stack sizes of the items over several bag slots
    • ability to access a certain item anywhere in your bag regardless of bag#,slot#
    • ability to see the number of charges on mapped items (i.e. modrods)
    • having a "placeholder" icon when an item was bound to the potion belt but is no longer in the inventory (used-up modrods, using the last cloudy potion and similar)
    Did i miss anything?
  14. xcitng Augur

you missed size, the potion belt was smaller and easier to place without clutter
  15. Gundolin Augur

You might want to double check this. I am dropping mod rods into inventory and it appears in the same spot on my Hot Bar every time. It also will automatically switch to my next stack of Invis potions when I finish one off. For instance last night I had six invisibility potions in the top stack, when I clicked the last potion the hot bar automatically switched to the next stack.

I am still really annoyed at the loss of the count, For example on the potion belt it would say I have 67 Invis potions, 3 charges on my Mod rod, and 4 FD potions, Now it just says 7 invis potions, Mod Rod of unknown charges, FD potion. Being able to see how many of those critical supplies without having to go through all my bags is what I lost and miss the most.

Also as xciting said, I did like the size better than adding another Hot Bar to my windows, (though I've already filled it as well.
    kizant likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yep I'm doing the same thing.

It also doesn't lag like the hot bar does when you click things.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. Angahran Augur

Works fine here.
    Hotbar shows the modrod. I use it up, button changes to 'Not Found'. Get a new modrod anywhere in inventory it shows up on the button.
  18. xcitng Augur

i still have my spot open for my potion belt, hoping the devs will do the right thing and return this item that i paid for long ago
  19. xcitng Augur

ppl are asking in chat everyday "what happened to the potion belt?" when we tell them they ask "why" ... all we can say is noone knows and they won't tell us ;/
  20. Nolrog Augur

They actually told us. It is because everyone is able to click anything from bags now, so the potion belt is obsolete.

So they attempted to clean up the windows by removing it; the hot bars are more versatile than the potion belts (they have more slots, can be reshaped and resized, and can hold things other than just potions, including other hot keys). However, they didn't take into consideration that some functionality of the potion belt was lost in the process (while you could click a potion for the total number in your inventory with the hot key, it only tells you how many were left in that stack and not how many you had in total, like the potion belt used to.)