What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Jordis Augur

Agreed. Losing that is really annoying.
  2. segap Augur

Taking more screen space than the potion bar ("having more slots") is actually worse for me. I don't want more screen clutter!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  3. segap Augur

Hey! I'm melee and I used it all the time. Don't be throwing us under the ignorance bus.
    Winnowyl and Yinla like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is just another in a long line of mistakes recently. From druid and shaman dots to the fell foliage and ha missions to the problems returning to AB. How many times are they going to have to refix those before they get them right?

The potion belt I will never understand, but then how can we when they won't tell us why it was removed.

Communication is at an altime low, I really wish we had Piestro back, someone who was willing to discuss things and even do a Q&A maybe not all questions but most.

I'm not just upset about the potion belt but a whole heap of things the potion belt is just the one which is the final straw as it makes no sense at all. Why make more work for themselves when there ate so many other things which need fixing?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and xcitng like this.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No one is throing any tantrums. They have used facts that they know to point out repeatedly to you that the Devs have explicity stated that only SOME of the functionality will be returned. As others have pointed out here repeatedly, some is not all, and unless ALL of the potion belt's functionality returns then no number of additional Hot bars or changes to the hot bars/buttons will make up for the potion belt's loss.

Also, here's a hint to the Devs. Stop trying to surprise us with changes to features and mechanics that have been in the game for years (in this case more than a decade); you should talk to us, explaining it in detail like saying, "Hey we are thinking about doing these things with detailed descriptions, so that we can make the game do this and that, but in the process we will have to get rid of this other thing for these specific reasons and it will probably take X amount of time to fully complete." If you want to surprise us with changes you should be doing it with new game content and completely new features.

PS
    We already have too many actual hot bars. I would bet that everyone could get by with just 5 (or fewer) hotbars, if they just allowed us to map keys to all of the different pages. I mean how many people have their hot bars filled but only on page 1; pages 2-10 are empty (with a couple of exceptions).
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I use 4 hot bars, so don't need 11th, I'd use more but I've run out of social buttons to create more hot keys.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Never say never again!
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Come on... it's EQ we're discussing here!
    As i thought we agreed recently there isn't much discernable actual project leading going on.
    I actually pity the coders at times who certainly give it their best (and some of them seem to actually care about "their babies" too!).
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Yes, i actually agree with that.
    Reason is, that i only have shortcuts set for the pages on hotbar1 - like most of us i'd guess.
    So i use all 10pages of Hotbar1 for various things, plus 3others on melees or two others on casters (one hotbar mapped to spellcasting keys, another to "disc'ing" keys) plus a few to keep an eye various timers or refreshs of abilities that i have included into socials.

I second the call for more socials - just at the same time i do not think the gone potion belt is that much of a loss.
    (and yes, Yinla, i play a caster too that uses rods and other expendables - i just set him up "correctly" )
  10. YellowBelly Augur

[IMG]
    The community after losing it's beloved potion belt.
  11. Kenona Journeyman

Back after a few weeks for tax's and this is the punishment I/we get. That was my timers my inventory drop. GIVE IT BACK!!!!!
  12. DirtyGurtie Lorekeeper

The loss of the potion belt feature is unacceptable. It is the latest in a recent trend of inexplicable, and unpopular changes to this game. My account is paid till next January, and frankly, I have no interest in renewing right now- I was already becoming disinterested in the game, and had been checking out other games, and this, among other recent decisions, has clinched it. I really didn't want to "start over", after over 18 years, but everyone else i leveled up with has already moved on years ago, Oh well. Happy Hunting, all, and thank you for nearly 2 decades of fun, and I truly hope things improve for everyone here.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

10 months until that sub runs out will see a lot of water flowing down the various rivers.
    I would expect that whatever functionality you feel you had with the potino belt and do not have with the hotbar might be added in by then, despite their slow working on things (like the AB chat-lag issue...).
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

From Russia with love...
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

My point was more that it wasn't so much the actual hotkey on a visible bar that people need to have or want, but the ability to bind that key to another one. I am not sure how common that it is with spell casters, but it is standard for melee.

I do agree though, that only having 100 possible socials when you have 1200 potential hotkeys you could set is a bit lopsided. At the very least socials should equal the number of hotkeys. But then socials in general could use a major overhaul to be a bit more reliable and useful.

I think that even people who have key combos set for all of the various pages on the different hotbars don't use them simply because for a lot of people it is more than they are capable of keeping straight in a fight; remembering to change pages back and forth as well as the different keys on each one. Additionally, I know that most melee simply bind hotkeys together, so that several hot bars are rarely opened and are only even used to hold the bound keys. Making use of those other pages would have been far more useful than adding another hot bar.
  16. Diani Augur

They made some new code especially for ship-to-ship combat but the potion belt broke it, hence ....
    Tatanka and Fanra like this.
  17. Gundolin Augur

How often do you use your potion belt? And what do you use it for?
  18. Bigstomp Augur

Having to re-hotbar my mod rod all the time is annoying
    Before I could just drop it on the potion belt, that would drop it somewhere in my bags (don't care where), and I could click my mod rod. If I got a new one, it ended up in the same potion belt slot, magic.

Having no idea without digging through my bags when the next time I should make a trip to buy invis potions is a slightly lesser annoyance but also annoying.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. RandyLahey Elder

I have never used the potion belt in all my time playing EQ, but as far as the mod rod is concerned you should be able to put it into a slot in your inventory (bag or top slot, doesn't matter), hold down the left mouse button on whatever slot it's in until it sticks to your cursor, and put it onto your hotbar. When that one runs out, you cast a new one, and put it back into your inventory (doesn't matter where), it will reappear in that slot. That is how I've done it for years and have never had an issue.
  20. Zamiam Augur

aye but some people cant keep track of how many times they clicked said rod and like the actual charge to show up..
    also it seems like people cant keep count how many potions they have in their inventory or how many times they click an invis potion and like to see exactly how many they have so it tells them they need to restock.
    just saying
    Gundolin likes this.