What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Pistols4Pandas Elder

Not... Good... Enough.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Pistols4Pandas Elder

Yes. No. Yes.
  3. tnot Elder

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    Cavall likes this.
  4. tnot Elder

I'm not sure the devs saw this... Not sure at all.
  5. Fyuri Journeyman

Why exactly would someone do this without giving any reason?

They going to take autoattack away next? Technically it's unnecessary... You could hit the button yourself. Over, and over, and over. That is what I like about this game, hitting buttons, over, and over, and over.
  6. Millianna Augur

Why on earth was this change made?
  7. Millianna Augur

I really wish we would get an answer to this...
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

The "why" would indeed be of interest - to sate our curiosity.
    But this whole complaining is a bit too much imo.
    The grand total in the bags - and, to satisfy the most purist of the posters, perhaps the ability to map the item(-ID) instead of the slot (and it's content) to the hotbar... and noone will truly miss the potion belt anymore but enjoy the 7extra hotbar buttons.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You are of course aware that the hotbar will, by itself, switch to the next stack of cloudy potions once the first one is used; so putting them all on there is a bit much lol...
    Me, i work around the grand total by filling up the first stack when i run low from the others behind that.
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Then i'm with the counter-revolutionists, out of principle ;)
    The potion belt is dead - long live the 11th hotbar!
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Next on the chopping block: the vendor interface.
  12. kyong Augur

Must have been some sort of horrible long standing exploit that they just found out about but has been ruining economy or something for years.
  13. segap Augur

They already "consolidated" that and created the jumbled mess of icons + value. We get smaller and smaller expansions because they lack resources, yet they seem to find time to do pet consolidation projects that no players have ever asked for.
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Are you truly sure you thought this through? ;)
    Think about it.. what does a potion belt do?
    Right: it makes your midriff bigger, it ruins your waist/hip ratio!
    Don't you want to be hip and wear fashionable dresses?

You're just a puny WIZ, so you're excused for this question :p
    Just wait until your BST is somewhat bigger, badder, meaner perhaps...

All valid, but my hope (i know: hopes are easily dashed) is that the strong points will be carried over to the hotbars - perhaps even to all of them, when i look at how the XML file is made up. Now, that would not only negate your valid points, but in effect be that much of a QoL life improvement in itself - no more limited to 5special slots but 1100 of them, if needed. Wow...

Good question and deserving an answer imo.
    My guess is that it's to remove "special cases" in the code, in an effort to streamline it and make it all in all easier to maintain.

Yep, #me2.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You can do that - not on the fly as you probably meant, but nothing stops you from modding the EQUI_HotButtonWnd.xml.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First against the wall when the revolution comes?
  17. Zhaunil_AB Augur

As Yinla said in her answer, you are - understandably so - posting and arguing from your own personal use only. UI isn't made for one person though, but for many and the needs vary bigtime.
    I already carry a lot of around that i very situational, but you seem to beat me on it even.
    That post is centered around YOU are set up of course - and that's fine, it's what you are used to and works for you. Just don't make the mistake of extrapolating that to everyone else. The "want to keep potion belt" people have their own reasons for asking that too. Not that there weren't a way to make BOTH happy though imo - that's what i hope for, that they take the strong points of the potion belt and transfer them to the hotbars/hotbuttons in a rather short time from now.

On the hotbuttons:
    Yeah, especially as a melee (i play several of them besides my WAR main) i find that "we" need more hotbuttons than socials. I just think that need not be a XOR thing.

On the socials:
    Well, not JUST for raids, but also for quests where you need to reply with specific phrases (e.g. drunkard's stein), you need socials. Yes i raid, but between that and the grouping stuff i do, i could well do with double or even 10times the available socials we have currently. It'd save me editing the ini file every now and then and copy/pasting the "event" (or expansion-related, whatever) socials in.

Now, THAT would have been a wonderful topic for the thread!
    I can certainly second that we could do with more socials or something with similar functionality.
    If only to save on editing/exchanging the ini-files.
    Didn't we at one time even have the opportunity to save "social sets" similar to spell sets?
    Totally not sure on that, but i think i saw something like that - could have been wishful dreaming though :p
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

*stands there in a defiant pose, singing "trigger happy" with his Uzi in his hand*
    Bring it on - i'll turn 'em all into pencils, they'll be so full of lead!
    :D
    (and quietly mourns the Romanov's fate)
  19. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Trying to leave my emotions (hey, even Dwarves have them, from time to time, when we're too sober) aside:
    Perhaps the two are related, so the use of "yet" might not be appropriate?
    It's of course only a guess on the "why", but i would think that less exceptions/special cases in a heap of code were easier to maintain.
  20. Aurastrider Augur

The why might end up to be something great that they cant tell us yet. Maybe they are going to unveil some new feature but the PB was causing a conflict with this feature so they replaced it with another hotbar. They have already stated they are going to move some of the PB functions over to the hotbar and depending on what these functions are this could potentially be a huge improvement to hotbars in general. I get it that change sucks and we all hate to be forced into a new system or way of doing things. There is a live stream tomorrow so maybe there will be some information regarding this if there is in fact some new feature that they are going to unveil. Then again maybe they thought that the community wanted another hotbar over the PB and that is why they made this move. At this point its any ones guess but at least give them a chance to explain if there is ever an explanation.