What happened to ALL/ALL visible armor in Rain of Fear?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tirratye, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Tirratye Lorekeeper

A magician friend of mine has always taken it upon himself to dress only in full plate appearance armor, regardless of the cost to his stats (and he even uses an ancient Sarnak Liberator in his primary slot in order to look more like a tank). Most recent expansions have permitted him the use of the ALL/ALL plate armor, but Rain of Fear hasn't offered that and Hero's Forge doesn't help any by only allowing them to fit into the matching armor types.

It's certainly a shame to not see any mage-usable plate armor this expansion, as far as I'm concerned anyway. And to those who'd tell him he should just wear a dress... well, he won't. ;)
    Aeia likes this.
  2. Aeia New Member

My druid has a similar chain fetish with her breastplate. I too would like to continue seeing the All/All armor like in previous expansions, even at the cost of lower stats.
    Moklianne likes this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

What is this fascination with robes on warriors and plate armor on silk classes? Fantasy mythology has always stated that a wizard wears a robe and a pointy hat. A warrior wears metal armor and brandishes a metal sword. And yet lately I see whining about accepted fantasy ideals because a warrior wants to wear a robe?

I think if a class wants to wear something that is not traditional or standard for their class (such as a robe on a warrior) that it should make all the stats a negative penalty for choosing to do so. You insert Hero Forge cloth robe into plate breastplate, the stats on chest armor drop to -5000 hme, -5 heroics, -60 resists, and reduction in all mod2.

I mean you should be happy now, right? All you care about is wearing a robe as a plate class. And you got it!
  4. Koutarou Elder

Check Master Hunter Jilare in Shard's Landing. She will have something you might like after you have factioned up with her.
  5. Tirratye Lorekeeper

If the armor didn't have zero stats for themselves, I'd be more willing to agree with that idea as a reasonable next step.
  6. Sophia Lorekeeper

Fantasy mythology has always stated that my paladin should be going into battle wearing nothing but a metal bikini, yet there she is, stubbornly clad in full-body armour. (Thankfully.)

I think offering players the ability to customise their appearance in an MMO is *never* a bad thing. And there are certain classes who are entirely leashed to the statistics of their armour (consider the magician mentioned in the first post: can you imagine a tank wearing inferior gear just because it gave them chain, leather, or cloth-look?) You can find a fantasy reason to legitimate anything. A paladin wearing robe because they're monastic but still shielded by the protection of their faith. A monk wearing plate armour because they're engaged in weight-training. A wizard wearing chain because it's enchanted to be lighter than cloth. Fantasy worlds. They're convenient that way.

It doesn't help that Hero's Forge is ugly as sin and we've been stuck in colour-variations of the same suit of armour for years upon years upon years.
  7. A-Quad Augur

The Hero Forge ornaments should be ALL/ALL. As a ranger, I should be able to have the option of making my chain breastplate appear to be plate. I can think of many plate BPs that are ranger-wearable, including ranger-only Tolan armor.

Logic apparently doesn't rule the day.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Mary Poppins Augur

Exactly!

Wizards have been pushing for pointy hats since the beginning, but when they FINALLY get put in the game SOE made them all/all.

14 years we've been fighting to get them, and now we have assling druids running around wearing our hats like it's nothing. Forget about a slap in the face - SOE just kicked us in the nuts.
  9. Barton The Mischievous

-Sigh- now I have to go and find a wizard hat just for that comment MaryMor.
    An assling druid
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  10. Mary Poppins Augur

That is harassment. I have reported you to Piestro (who will most likely do absolutely nothing :( ).
  11. Koutarou Elder

Such is the price of being a slave to fashion.
  12. Leerah Augur

Leerah (DE wizard) has a thing for leatherlooking tunic tops. She'll wear plate if she has to and robe only for serious work.
  13. roguerunner Augur

Are you guys seriously not wearing the best items just for appearance purposes ALL THE TIME?
  14. enclee Augur

Why not just do the illusion trick? Equip your stylish armor cast a non player illusion and then while in illusion re-equip your normal gear then drop illusion after re-equipping
  15. Candydare Elder

You would be surprised on how many people still don't know that trick but yeah that is the way to do it!;)
  16. Barton The Mischievous

Does harassing Mary Poppins count as nanny bashing? hmm I wonder and is that considered a hate crime?
  17. Tirratye Lorekeeper

There are some people who are NOT slaves to a lack of fashion, you know? ;)
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

He could always pretend to be a monk, that shouldn't be too hard, as long as he doesn't use the HF Robe. >_<
  19. Zortex Journeyman

NTOV raid teir 0, i have seen many ALL/ALL viable armor drops including some nice plate boots my wizzy has which oddly 15/15 heroic int/wis so I personally seen the all/all but its only in raid content so far what i have seen.
  20. Hatsee Augur

/sigh

EVERYONE that knows what they are doing is going for tank non-vis items this expansion if their class allows it, or if they don't care about minor dps penalties.. Allowing plate gear to work for everyone would do nothing but have everyone walking around in plate armor.

Has no one here ever heard of tank mages in UO?