What do you use as a familiar?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, May 29, 2013.

1. moogs Augur

I have the King of Gelaqua familiar from LoN on my 3 magic users (druid, enchanter, magician). The buff lasts for 10 hours and it provides 400 mana and 5 mana regen per tick. I've used this for years and years. Is there an upgrade available that I should be shooting for? And what do you use for your melee characters?
  2. Yther Augur

I used to use Direwolf Totem of Battle on my melee. Not sure why I quit, probably banked it for farming space and never got it back out.

Yther Ore.
  3. Desk New Member

1: Summon Familiar: FamiliarIcyGelidran
    8: Increase Mana Pool by 5 (L1) to 400 (L80)
    9: Increase Mana by 0 (L1) to 5 (L40) per tick

Second Spire of Enchantment

6: Increase Mana Pool by 1000
    9: Increase Mana by 300 per tick

I stopped using that familiar you use when I realized why my buff was always dropping on raids.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

5. moogs Augur

Desk, the only conflict I've noticed so far is with the Geomantra clicky line.

Yinla, is that item for real?
  6. Hahlfwit Augur

Wizard AA familiar
  7. moogs Augur

Time to re-roll.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I would love to be able to name familiars and mounts. Just seems like a good way to make them more personalized in my opinion
  9. Gragas Augur

Would suggest camping 3 of these?

Ruaabri's Fist

MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE PRESTIGE
    Charges: Unlimited
    Required level of 98.
    Effect: Essence of Ruaabri (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 1.0)
    WT: 0.8 Size: TINY
    Class: ALL
    Race: ALL

Essence of Ruaabri

Description
    8: Increase Max Hitpoints by 750
    9: Increase Mana Pool by 750
    moogs likes this.
  10. Eckish Lorekeeper

It isn't a familiar, but Polymorph Wand: Plaguebringer is an upgrade to the mana regen portion of the King's effect. Then, you are free to use another stat familiar.
    moogs likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yep, a real familiar! The others are just pale imitations.
    Talif likes this.
  12. Elizabeta Augur

Cleric alt: The King Gelaqua is a great familiar, although the plaguebringer illusion has a higher mana regen, i like the longer duration of it. With most belts having mana pool increases, the mana regen is what is important to me.

My druid (me, main, whatever): i use two different familiars depending on the circumstances. For grouping i use Familiar of the Hooded Scrykin, with a nice audiotrigger of every time a spell gets relected. It makes me happy to hear. Since it does not work for raid spells, when raiding i use Drake of Pure Nature for the extra corruption resist.

There are a lot of familiars that look real good on paper but do not really work out in the long run, or are limited to lower levels. The one that makes you eat less is good until about level 52 when you have all the metabolism AAs done, the ones that give 5 hp regen are great at level 1 (through the 40's), and the direwolf totem through the 60's or if you do not have access to better ranger buffs.
  13. moogs Augur

Your signature speaks to me in so many ways.
  14. Yther Augur

Hmm, still not sure why. Rng buffs only give 4%. Spiritual Alacrity guild tribute gives same as worn Ferocity without the minimum damage mods, so it's worn not buff. Lots of discs but they're short duration, and mostly Ber and Mnk ones. And a few others like Bard Dance of Blades AA. I thought maybe there was something better, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Although alot better HP regen effects for the slot 10 though, maybe I had another effect with slot 10 HP Regen that I liked better, than the 2% more double attack than what I was getting with the Rng buffs.

Don't remember for sure. I should get it out and see. It most likely was the Knowledge of the Past line of clickies.

Yther Ore.
  15. Silv Augur

I know this post is about familiars but since we got onto the topic of polymorph wands as well...

Right now, if you buy a Jarsath Destroyer LoN pack (1000 SC) you get a guaranteed "Visage of the Girplan" loot card. It is one of those illusion + buff clicks. The actual buff gives +500 HP and you can click off the illusion after you cast it. It stacks w/ Ruaabri's Fist etc. but not with the Steam Suit polymorph buff (which is only 200? HP I think but +AC as well). If you really want the AC though you can click another polymorph buff that just has an AC component.

The rallosian battle figure from SoD Earth theme progression is a nice familiar (+450 HP/Mana) but has a lot of stacking issues (doesn't stack w/ Ruaabri for example or the Wild Growth lines).

If you do get Ruaabri's Fist as someone mentioned above, there are still many familiars that will stack with it so make sure to check on what else you may be able to use.

I wish more of the familiars/polymorph style items and buffs were accessible outside the Market/LoN OR at least it'd be nice if the in game items had better buff stacking :0
  16. Abazzagorath Augur

Familiar of the Hooded Scrykin. Was an expansion preorder reward I think. 5% chance of spell reflect
  17. Siddar Augur

Scrykin and Lord Nagafen depending on witch is needed the most.

I have few of spell damage ones that stack with the above two. But there increase is so small that there not worth mentioning.
  18. madhouse New Member

A few decent ones that I haven't seen mentioned:

Tumbleweed Twig (10% dodge chance / marketplace) - nice for lower level chars or ones that don't have a better Myrmskill clicky.

Springwork Spider (150dd proc / LoN) - one of six familiars that actually increase dps (to a very small extent). The others (that I know of) are the 3 aforementioned stackable dd/skill familiars (razors edge/blunt force/vanishing point), the direwolf totem with fero, and Spiked Worg (50atk). The spider is the only LoN/market familiar I can think of that isn't heirloom. If you're a monk, the proc gets you free Tail Rake/Tiger palm skillups, yay?

Familiar of Queen Pyrilonis (400hp+5regen / LoN) - another decent for low levels or just maxing HP (not as good as Naggy familiar though).

My lower level chars mostly use the Twig or a regen familiar (Pyrilonis or the Sporali one, as I don't use mercs). Higher level chars generally use Gelequa if caster. Spider, Naggy, or Reflecty Scrykin + a stackable if melee. The Wizard uses fire flappy (only 86) + Gelequa + Razor's Edge.
  19. Cicelee Augur

I use Kobold King familiar from LoN, adds 500 mana at lvl 100 and (as far as I can tell) stacks with everything- Ruabbri Fist, Belt clickies, etc.

Which reminds me I have an extra one for sale/trade :)
  20. Recnarp Augur

Familiar of Lord Nagafen (LoN Oathbound)
    +810 hp

Icesprite Familiar (Marketplace Seasonal Item Only)
    +40 dmg to cold spells

Both stack.