what are the shaman doing with their new spell gem?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by shruggz, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jetslam Augur

For the Droga parse... That's pretty good. I did some self parsing the other night to see what my theoretical max would be. In the GL, where buffs don't expire and everything self dps related I could think of hit, I maxed around 430k dps at 3m and dropped to about 380k at 5m.

I don't see it in your parse, but if you're gonna go full dps(which this was) you'd also want to hit glyph for the extra crit damage.

For the Cactus parse... you've got an odd dot lineup. If you're only going to use 3 dots, you'd want to use Curse, Jinx, and either Nectar or Blood. You used Curse, Nectar, and Affliction. Jinx is our highest damage dot, so not sure why you opted for Affliction over it. Lots of Affliction casts makes me think you're using it on adds, where it would be even worse when it can't get the secondary dot on. Could potentially load a fast dot for the adds on that one as it'd do similar damage to adds and way less mana usage.

Two other oddities that I noticed... You're using sabertooth. Was that changed to be overridden by Lion yet? I know it wasn't doing it at one point. Regardless, that spell probably isn't worth the spell slot. If it's still bugged, that means that each of those casts, you're not able to get lion up on your group until it fades which is a decent dps loss. If it does override now, then you're only having sabertooth for a very short period and the additional damage is much lower than loading an additional dot.

The other is Feralisata... Does that spell work as intended? How much of a parsable difference does it add? I've never used it and I don't think I've seen anyone else use it on our raids.

And finally, I'm a stickler for splashes and group HoT. I normally figure 1 HoT per minute, and 4 splashes per minute when comparing numbers. That puts you low by a bit on Droga, and low by alot on Cactus. Both of those spells (along with recourse) allow you to not worry about group healing and just dps.
  2. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

what you got on cactus was about what our shaman are getting give or take 10-15kdps... which could easily be luck in not getting blocked out of debuff slots.

jet makes a good point about using glyphs. for dps burns they're $.

on our testing for cactus we used a variety of combinations and what jet's saying is about what we came out with. Using both magic lines + nectar was the best dps with 3 dots... but only marginally better than using blood. Typically use the 2 magic only on the adds (due to how quickly they die), and all 3 on the boss.
    If you want to eek out every last bit of damage and aren't worried about using debuff slots for weak dots, you could also turn languid bite on for most of the RoS events, since there's no mezzing and it doesn't take any extra cast time. basically free dps. I don't have it maxed to see what kind of dps it has now... but it is what it is.

another good point about lion vs sabretooth, the RoS BP focus was changed to lion. so you have 2 ticks less downtime on lion once you get that. and in a melee group keeping lion on cooldown is pretty much a must to maximize raid dps.
  3. Jetslam Augur

Did some parsing last night on a combat dummy. After a ~15m parse with and without it and myself beating on the mob, it raised my melee damage by the intended values.

I'll definitely have to start using this on engage to help out the monks and anyone else using blunt.
  4. Tucoh Augur

My own parsing confirms that ferallisata works as intended, and I've geared my box team toward blunt weapons because of it.

One thing to watch out for is stacking issues with a warrior's Gut Punch and other debuffs that decrease chance to hit.
    http://www.raidloot.com/Spells.aspx?effect=Decrease Chance to Hit

It's unfortunate that so many skill/spell attacks (ex: dichotomic rage, gale of blades) use slashing instead of the caster's weapontype.

I wish they'd just remove the chance to hit debuff. It's so small it's just a nuisance.
  5. SoroxDrinal Elder

I would normally glyph, but I did not have any AAs banked. I had saved 100 before raids and bought another focus AA line. I won't waste 7th on Droga.

For cactus, I was using the combo malos/affliction dot to land the magic bonus, faster cast time than pure malos spell, and some damage. I do like nectar, especially if you have multiple targets running concurrently to get the recourse dot. While I hate the recast of Curse, I like that it casts fasts and lasts longer so I can focus more on healing, etc than refreshing dots more often. My goal on cactus was not dps so much as healing, hence why my dot selection was a bit odd.

I definitely like Fera although the duration is a bit short. And I have been trying to add rain once I land all dots.

If pure dps mode, I do the following
    nectar
    affliction (or combo dot for magic bonus)
    jinx
    curse
    blood, or fast poison in this slot, gom proc or fast trash clear only
    breath, or fast disease dot in this slot, gom proc or fast trash clear only
    pandemic, replace with rain spell once cast
    1st spire (depends on duration of event)
    fleeting (depends on duration of event, but prefer recourse dots getting doubled)
    agro reduction
    swarm pets
    rain

Have your 7 dot spells from top to bottom in that order. If you need to mem spell set dot_110 you can abort before all 7 dots are mem'd and start casting the important ones first.
  6. SoroxDrinal Elder

And cactus event, there's an aoe from add cactus that blocks lion from time to time. After wasting time to cast and having to wait for refresh, I swap to the group proc spell that is not block by the dot of the add cactus.
  7. SoroxDrinal Elder

It's going to be challenging to do more than 40 actions on a 160s parse but I could definitely improve on my aoe heals.

I made a key to:
    ice
    aoe heal
    group hot
    aoe heal
    with minimal delays so I can automate that a bit better
  8. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

don't forget glacial gift Frostbitten Gift in that mix =).
  9. Jetslam Augur

If this is a box, then that's pretty decent play. If it's not, then the actions can be increased slightly to maximize actions.

Ideally, I figure about 1 spell cast per 4s(~2s cast + ~2s GCD). On this parse, you had 34. The others are instant stuff that can be hit in GCD. I've seen much worse though, and you're certainly playing at a high level if this is a box or not.
  10. Jetslam Augur

11. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

agreed.

side note: last night and I topped 235k on the parse (first time I've been in a situation to just dps)... damn druid did 600k just to spite me.
  12. Jetslam Augur

Very nice. I plan on going full dps this weekend to see what kind of numbers I can get. Even if I'm in a melee group.

I'll need to apologize in advance. ;)
  13. SoroxDrinal Elder

Ice was my way of saying the twinheal spell, should have said gift
    Was not boxing shaman on parses above, but there's other stuff going on like getting thrown in the air, aborting a cast due to mis-target or toss faster heal on someone, etc. And my custom UI has the extended target window on the right, group on the left, which is probably not ideal as my eyes have to cover the entire screen.
  14. Nylrem Augur

All this talk about shaman casting group HoTs all the time... CLERICS should be TB then MGBing their group HoT AA, which lasts twice as long as spell, then spell HoT, in a rotation, so the whole raid receives it. The AA can be cast during GCD, so NOBODY has to lose cast time... With 5 clerics, get like 10 minutes of AE HoT on entire raid.

After AA spent, then rotate to MGBs of group HoT, but still, you should only cast it once, max, per event where entire force is close enough to receive it...

To have every healer casting a group HoT every minute... is a HUGE waste of resources.

Oh, and our best shaman has hit over 400k, in a melee group, vs a single target, just under 9 minute fight. I’d hate to see what he could do with best possible ADPS :)
    kizant likes this.
  15. Robnie Augur

snitches get stitches

#firstruleofdotclub
  16. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

Shaman synergy is linked to our group heal over time spell, casting it significantly increases the effectiveness of the next 3 heals.
    Shaman group heal over time also stacks with one of the two cleric group HoTs. (I think it's something elixir that it doesn't stack with, and CR that it does? i'd have to check names).

lastly, I don't believe shaman group HoT is MGBable.... I could be wrong on that though since my TB and MGB are used on ancestral aid like they should be.
  17. Jetslam Augur

Shaman HoT stacks with MGB CR. Group HOT spells(clr/shm)are not MGBable and do not stack.

The Group HoTs(even cleric one) stack with MGB. Certainly not a "HUGE waste of resources" to use one cast a minute to stack up the healing effect. Especially with shaman synergy tied to it which grants the next 3 heals an increased healing effect.

As for the 400k number, I'm skeptical with the current state of shaman dps. That's nearly 2x some of the best parses I've seen over a shorter duration in raid content. As I said earlier, I was able to hit 430k dps over a 3m period with just self buffs on a combat dummy. This was using basically an entire spell bar of dots, with 3 nukes thrown in as well as meleeing. But that dropped sharply to 380ish at 5m and would continue to go down quickly as you are no longer getting twincast dots. Just having bard adps in a melee group wouldn't be able to sustain that.
  18. SoroxDrinal Elder

From tonight, melee group so used 3rd spire, I have no rank 3s

/GU Cactiikii in 1115s, Slopox + pets 356641k@319858sdps (319858dps in 1115s)
    combined I was about 325k

Droga was going great until I got cursed. I should have cured myself by meming spell, but kinda went into a panic and played stupidly...
    /GU The Incarnate Droga in 151s, Slopox 44415k@294137sdps (472497dps in 94s)
  19. Jetslam Augur

Pretty impressive there.

Second parse on Droga is short enough that it doesn't surprise me.

That one on Cactus though... Curious how that was achieved. I'm guessing all 7 dots + melee + nukes? Any particular burn order/strategy you use other than hitting fleeting and keeping dots on? You having grp bard do any special songs to help your spells?
  20. SoroxDrinal Elder

7 dots only, DoN4, 9% from TBM eye of decay (missing 1 raid achievement for 10%), drogan goblin familiar, all slot3s, all Rk2s, all AAs, using Gina triggers for all dot fades, cast order is

Nectar
    Rirwech Malos (combo dot) - cast first, then top down, so nectar next
    Jinx
    Curse
    Blood
    Breath
    Pandemic
    Woven Threaded Sash belt (group), Dasher with dps slot8s

If something needs to be refreshed, I go top down order.

Depends on length of event. For Droga I'll used Fleeting right away and glyphed.
    Since you get 10 dots doubled over 2 minutes, for longer events, I would strive to land all dots, fleeting right(and 1st) before the first dot refresh. This typically insures the recourse dots get doubled.