What are the needed changes in current day EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bronut, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Some of this has been touched on but it can't be reiterated enough IMO.

1) Fellowships are so outdated and antiquated at this point that it's almost inconvenient. Allow us to add 18-24 characters to the fellowship or make it where if one character on an account is in it then all toons on the account can use it.

2) Modernize the fellowship campfires to make them useful for the 100-105 game. Extend the campfires from 4 hours to 8 for the basic campfire and 1 hour to 4 for the buff campfires and add modern buffs/benefits to them.

3) Reduce the timer on the fellowship port clicky from 15 minutes to 5 minutes.

4) Make Franklin Teek have the same abilities as Clayton Teek and allow him to port you to the hot zones he offers each day. It may seem like a petty complaint but when you have a couple hours to play EQ and have to spend 30 minutes to an hour traveling around to do stuff it takes away from the time you have to play.

5) Extend buff timers to be more in line with each other so that every 2-3 hours we don't have to spend the time to mem spells and buff again. It's bad enough to deal with rebuffing after dying but the timers are just annoying at this point.

6) I agree whole heartedly on the bundle ideas. I haven't bought an expansion since TDS because I got tired of paying full price for multiple accounts and the only thing I buy these days are the occasional fluff items. I'm sure I'm not alone in being very limited in what I purchase for EQ these days regardless of the reason. It's much better to sell 1000 $5 purchases than 100 $50 purchases and that's something the Daybreak marketing department has been doing a very poor job of among other things.
    Tatanka likes this.
  2. snailish Augur

Live servers --look at the demographics of the zone level ranges, think of it like a pyramid in which much of the game is lower level --except that you want the bulk of zone options at the upper level range where most of the playerbase is (so we need an inverted pyramid).

Solution: massively revamp/replace the older content. In many cases, this can just be the "hardcore" treatment but done as a permanent live change. (and yes, this does mean moving some quest things to an alternate access method).

Bonus: increases the nostalgia sell on future progression servers, if 95% of the pre-TSS content is now 85+ content on live servers. If you want to level 1-60 in Kunark you do it on a progression server and then transfer that character to live.
  3. asfasfasfasf Augur

Don't think guildwar is even in the game anymore, and there has never been a real war between guilds in this game. And Zek is all about ganking noobs and whatnot, what I am talking about is a genuine guild competition thing, guild vs guild. And it doesn't have to be an entire pvp expansion, just one big zone. The expansions so far just keep doing the same thing over and over, it is just maintaining a small hardcore audience. They could bring in more players if they did more.

If they brought in lots of new players, maybe added a new class as well, and added a way for high levels to scale down and play with newbies and get significant rewards, the game could really grow.

There is only so long they can keep pumping out longer and longer treadmills for the small hardcore fanbase.
  4. Sindaiann Augur

[IMG]
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Sindaiann Augur

This.

And I personally enjoyed the group encounter for tower of rot. I love challenging things like this. More please
  6. Sindaiann Augur

1. Auto follow actually works really well as long as each toon has background FPS to around 70 or 75 in options. Obviously tight turns and obstructions like trees are still an issue, but with this slight adjustment auto follow works fine.

6. Yes. Yes and yes.

10. Shaman and druid at end game are far better than just ok. A properly played shaman is a thing of beauty.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Can well be that the command is no longer in the game.
    I have been gone for quite some time, much has escaped my notice.
    But if it's gone, it's gone for a reason i reckon.
    And i too think there hasn't really been much of a "guildwar" on a blue server.
    Which is fine for me personally, i chose a PvE server for a reason.

Scratch "Zek" in the above and set "PvP" instead.
    There is a reason why so many games with "open PvP" don't even make it to or past a beta phase.
    EvE being one exception, but even there you have high-sec and low-sec and finally null-sec.
    But then, EvE does a lot of OTHER things right.

Yes, IF.
    But you know...
    It's natural for us that when we have an idea, we think it's appeal to so many more than just us.
    That's fine and adds to the enthusiasm.
    But it's not necessarily true.

During my EQ-absence i have played quite a few other games.
    One was especially promising to me, it had SciFi with a character and ships and co-op crews...
    Lacking in the building/economic part of the game, but it was there.
    Yet, it had open PvP.
    In all the time i was there, the maximum of players was around 53. world-wide.
    Of these 50, about 30 were leaning more towards PvE and stuck pretty much to themselvesm even to the point of forming their own faction(s).
    Then we had some that did, from time to time, take part in PvP.
    And only 5 to max 10 people who had PvP as their main interest and were there exactly for that.
    And guess what?
    Because they got "bored" that noone would play "their game" with them, they ended up ganking the only supposedly "safe" system in that whole game, perma-camping it and even entering killing random noobs that happened to try the game for the first time.
    Sometimes even "kidnapping" the player's avatar in Boko Haram-style.
    What a welcome!
    It ha dother shortcomings too, but with this crowd it didn't surprise me much that the game never made it.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

More locked doors.
  9. asfasfasfasf Augur

But I'm not suggesting a PVP server, I'm suggesting a small GvG element in one expansion. Most other MMOs already have some arena style PVP. EQ has had 18 years to develop into a full virtual world but mostly it just peddles the same copy paste treadmill expansions with no innovation.

It's natural to be resistant to change too. Have you ever played a WoW battleground? I played WoW for 1 month total in my whole life, and the only memorable thing I can remember was the intense battleground experience of the big frosty place.

EQ had some good PVP moments in the past, some time around 1999 they did a Best of the Best event in the Arena. This was on the "blue" servers. But it has been a forgotten feature since then. You can't expect it to be well balanced and well developed when nobody ever does it and no time or effort is ever spent on it. Each expansion adds around 20 new zones and some instances. All I'm saying is, have one of them be GvG focused and see how the players like it. It needn't even have PVP, it could just be GvG fighting mobs. But the game needs some excitement and life breathed into it. Most people today have never even heard of this game, and a lot of the people who have, think it is some stale old almost dead game. But it doesn't need to be like that.
  10. asfasfasfasf Augur

But that is end game. I am not talking about end game. The game should not be a race to end game, people should be able to enjoy the billions of zones and content for all the levels.
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Neither did i say you were suggesting a PvP SERVER.
    You are suggesting PvP, period.
    On a "blue" server where people have gone to most likely because they don't want any piece of that.
    We're happy with PvE.
    For anyone else, there is /duel and the Arena and other PvP areas in-game.
    But there is a reason these are next to never used.

Like many, i have watched the initial release of WoW.
    I have "played" WoW exactly one day, at a friend's place (and years later at another friend's place again, to reinforce my prejudices).
    To find it's a bad copy of EQ with fancier graphics and really BAD ideas about their classes.
    Never went back, never even spent another thought on it.
    So, no.

I have done a /duel against a guild ranger recently, in the GGH.
    He made the mistake of letting me come too close and was almost dead. i stopped attack, having proven my point. He got up and used range (as he should have from the start) to finish me.
    So because i was the "better" Dwarf, he now has that screenshot of having killed me - i can live with that ;)
    It can be fun, ok - provided both sides agree.
    And that's the key point right there - both agree.

You are calling it "group vs. group", i call it still "PvP".
    You want it part of the next expansion.
    I say keep that kind of where it belongs: on the special servers.

Ok, but THIS variant we already have - it's called progression race?
    Then we had that arena event in new Freeport iirc and if memory doesn't fail a few more like that.

Right, it needn't.
    Best way to change that imo?
    Show the people you know the game and let them "feel" a bit of your enthusiasm.
    Get them to play with you, even PvP if need be - there is room enough for most kinds of playstyles.
    But changing (even partly) the focus of the game away fro PvE? - a BIG "no" from me on that!
  12. asfasfasfasf Augur

You don't speak for everyone, and most people have never even tried PVP, let alone PVP that had time and effort put into by the dev team.

Figures. You are a typical anti PVP'er yet never even played it.
  13. smash Augur

There is a reason why we took the server we did. Because we do not want pvp.

If you want it, play on zek
    Yinla and fransisco like this.
  14. asfasfasfasf Augur

Zek is no good. And most of you don't even know if you would like it or not.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Do you read what's typed?
    Or just selectively that which fits your prejudices?

Whether i am "typical" i cannot say.
    But yes i am VERY anti-PvP.
    Simply because PvP-mechanism has killed ANY game (or rather: the fun for any game) i have played so far that had it.
    In one case, the decision to do a game with open PvP has literally driven away at least 4,5times as many people as they had playing it.
    Or rather, a FEW people have done that, using the open-PvP to impose their "fun" onto others.

I am wary of ANY PvP area in-game and avoid them as much as possible.

Your question was specifically about WoW Battlegrounds.
    I didn't play that, because i don't do bad play copies of EQ.
    But i didn't comment on WoW Battlegrounds anywhere.

And yes i HAVE played PvP, both in EQ and in other games.
    No i am not pretending to be "good" at it - especially with my main's class in EQ which simply sucks on that kind of "fun".
    Even though i sometimes even "won" - yay!
    And yes, i am still not liking it much - how could you tell? :eek:
  16. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I think he wants to PvP you for your server cause his died, maybe?

Edit: Sorry, it's not dead, just looks like it.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I really like all your ideas, especially the highlighted parts! A word on the buffs idea.... 2-3 hours would be awesome if that's how long they all were. However, there are lots in the 30-60 minute range, and even some in the 15-30 minute range. Having to constantly pay attention to what buffs are needed is a pain. If you've ever played EQ2, all buffs are permanent, and automatically take effect on new group members. No buffing people outside the group, though.

One other idea I'd like to see is making life easier for pack-rats. I know how to dump one bag's contents to another by control-clicking, and that's an easy way to consolidate junk into common stacks. Where it falls apart, though, is when I have stuff in the guild bank or a house. I'd LOVE to see a button in those interfaces that acts on a bag, and takes out anything that's already in the GB or house, and consolidates the stack. Would save a ton of time.

Tat
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  18. Scorrpio Augur

I played 1999-2002 on Rallos Zek. A gaming group burned out on UO we wanted the little more flavor to life. The biggest flaw of open PvP in a game like EQ quckly became apparent. If a griefer is out to spoil your day, there is not a darn thing you can do to prevent it. You see a suspicious name lurking around, you already cannot PvE to the besy of your ability cause you need to stay ready for PvP, cause you know the perp is not looking for a fair fight. He is gonna nuke you when you got an overpull, tank barely holding up and healer low on mana. Even if you react in time and take him out, he is gonna be back in 5 minutes no worse for wear. Bottom line is you are not playing the game the way you want, you are playing his game, for his fun at at detriment to your own game time. And in a game where character advancement is PvE based, this can be downright frustrating.

I like how LotRO does PvP. It has areas specifically for it, and it has PvP reward progression that does not affect your PvE ability. You can ignore PvP aspect 100% and be no worse for that.
    Chatoyan and Kajira like this.
  19. Sindaiann Augur

No I specifically quoted you for a reason. You said Shaman and druid are OK, atleast later in the game.

I quoted you because they are much better than OK.

That was the point.
  20. Reval Augur

Hey, I'll be honest. There are a lot of balance issues with pvp atm, but they get lessened greatly by group pvp. If your side has clerics, and the other side does too, even if a berserker can one shot a cleric, it's going to be a lot more even than if you are just a single cleric vs a berserker in a fight.

Guild war would be neat to see because it promotes pvp in that regard, but I don't think it's the ideal scenario.

You have guilds with people that just aren't suited to pvp if I'm being honest. They might be good players, they might be a lot of things, but their personality and attitude might not fit in with the idea of pvp. So I don't think it's a good idea to promote guild wars on modern day blue servers. It's too widespread in its consequences. Maybe 1 or 2 sets of guilds will do guild wars, and it will work out.

A better option would be to have group vs group fights, or a bracketed tournament option between guilds, because that doesn't have to include *every* guild member, but if enough of them like pvp, they can duke it out without a dear old woman just trying to finish her tear of alaris getting corpse camped by some hard core rogue. That doesn't need to be a part of it.

And you know, if any guilds have the balls to do that, they could easily just do it. If it's done enough, and people have win/loss stipulations that they don't hold up to, maybe then some system could be coded in, but why not try going down that route and see what happens?