What are all these monkly disciplines (and skills)?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Chiaroc, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Chiaroc New Member

Background: my main is a ranger, which was started ages ago. My alt back then was a monk that I got up to lvl 51 before quitting the game entirely. This Iskar monk was on a second account so I could two box, and I loved playing him.

Thus for my heroic character, I thought I would make another monk, this time a Drakkin, but I am hopelessly confused by all the abilities and disciplines, what is an upgrade to what. What is a basic ability, what is an AA ability, what is a discipline. I have checked on the SPELL page on Allakazam (who knew that Monk disciplines were categorized as spells anyway?), and that is somewhat helpful, but it leaves off the AA abilities and basic abilities. Thinking back to my ranger, which I picked back up at lvl 60 after 10 years of not playing EQ, the ranger was and is so much easier, because the spell icons show what is an upgrade to what.

There also seem to be so few monks that actually play now, that it really seems to have become a sort of secret monastic knowledge that is no longer kept on internet fora. Can someone help me find what Im looking for?

I need to know what disciplines and AA abilities I should be using at 8500- for burns and for basic group fighting etc.

Thanks.
  2. Yther Augur

3. Chiaroc New Member

Note that I said MONK, not ZERKER....
  4. Yther Augur

Oops. I thought the other was about Monk too, probably just 'cause see alot of returning monks asking the same thing. Apologies. I read it and many links also, so it's not like I wasn't paying attention. Just bad memory.

Yther Ore.
  5. Khoza Augur

Level 85 huh... I'll give a VERY BASIC rundown. This is all geared toward the level 85 character, so there's more to learn later on.

Lets start with Discs.

Pulling
    Echo line is your AE mezz. Short duration, out of combat only, 5 target max, blurs when it fades.
    Phantom is your Paci line. Single target.

Spam DPS
    Calanin's Synergy is a 30 second reuse that kicks 3 times and adds a debuff to make Flying Kicks do more damage to the target.
    Vigorous Shuriken is a DD based on range to target. (Can also be considered a pulling tool, as long as the mob has enough HP that this doesn't make it summon.)
    Drunken Monkey Style boosts your damage while it is active. WARNING: Endurance hog!

Burn DPS
    Crystalpalm boosts the size of your hits.
    Speedfocus makes you attack faster. This is a Hundred Hands effect, thus stacks with Haste.
    Scaledfist boosts the damage of your Specials. (Flying Kick and Tiger Claw would be the relevant ones.)
    Rapid Kick makes your Flying Kick refresh faster. (I believe this is the highest level version of this line at 85, but you get better later on.)

Defensive
    Impenetrable Discipline is a short duration defensive that also has a Rune component. Short reuse.
    Whirlwind is also short duration, and a long reuse. No rune on this one, but you'll riposte almost all attacks. (To play off your Ranger experience, this is basically our version of Weapon Shield.)

AA
    The easiest thing to do is sort your AAs by Activated and read everything. However, some that come to mind:

Second Spire is a flat +damage.
    Zan Fi's Whistle is also a +damage, as well as a %damage mod.
    Infusion of Thunder is another %damage booster. Don't try stacking this with Crystalpalm.
    Stunning Kick is a short reuse ability that executes a decent size kick and can stun the target. Should be paired with Synergy for maximum effect.
    Imitate Death is a Fade.
    Purify Body does exactly that. It will remove almost all debuffs from the monk. (Rezz effects not included.)

There are more AAs, so make sure to sort and check them!

Skills
    Flying Kick is your standard special.
    Tiger Claw is one of our lower skills, that was recently unlinked from Flying Kick. Hit both whenever they're up.
    Feign Death is... Feign Death. Not a quick subject.
    Mend is a 25% self-only instant heal. Can be used while Silenced. Can heal for up to 50% if it crits. 6 minute reuse, can go as low as 30 seconds with AAs.
    Quatr and Gnar like this.
  6. Sinestra Augur

Although you did say Monk rather than Berserker, one of the very helpful links in that thread is for the raidloot site where you can find descriptions of your AAs and abilities that are far more useful and generally intelligently put than what the devs note in the game. Just look for Monk rather than Berserker.
  7. Gnar Augur

Thanks for the nice rundown Khoza. I made a heroic frog monk and need to learn the class from scratch.
  8. Ishtass Augur

monkly-business.net can help too if you want more of the monk community to respond.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Kindred Journeyman

seems to be a database error with the site.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Yes, I believe MB has flopped for the final time. A few people still knew who to call when it crashed, but even when it was up, no one was posting. It's now been down for a few months.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Yeah, I think the fact that monks have been in an ok spot (not great but not horrible either) for the last few years most people weren't posting other than when there was some big change or during beta time. But the database error coming up repeatedly got to a point where some of just wondered if we really want to bother Nedrom or any of the others again to contact who they knew to get in touch with whoever to get that fixed if it was just going to happen again in another few weeks or months.

That said, maybe using the wayback machine to see about getting links to some of the important threads might not be a bad idea. There is so much good information and knowledge in those forums.