What about STOP the progression of a LP server at Luclin ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Greendav, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Greendav Lorekeeper

Hey,

Well, this is just about talking.
    For me, stop a progression sever at luclin extension could be a good idea :

1) a huge world with many zone and hight lvl content
    2) AA inside : so we can continue grinding for a long time.

A luclin extension server could help people to enjoyed old contend and not have to rush
    to be ready to next extension.

What do you think about ?
  2. Ethereal Augur

The AAs in Luclin take no time to max out. Most people, even with raiding, will have their AAs completed within 2 months on Ragefire. (Some finished within 2 weeks). I assume you're on phini with the 3 month auto unlock. Yeah, that server doesn't cater to more casual players.

The content in Luclin, as it's currently tuned, is actually easier than Velious.

I think for DGB, an expansion locked server would be a waste of money.
  3. snailish Augur

Let the current TLP's all get past say Omens of War (at least...), then the following could happen:

1. launch a Phinny 2.0 exactly as 1.0 (or go with 4 month unlocks as-is).

2. launch a "racing unlock" server that the content is pushed by the raiding guilds meeting the targets and causing a 2-week unlock timer until the next. Once they catch up to live they get a new racing unlock aka a perpetual cycle. Award server firsts (titles or such), and possibly enable PVP in raid target zones.

3. and maybe... maybe... launch a server that will be locked. Pick the locked era (anywhere Luclin to no later than GoD probably works). Open this server at full era and then leave it alone. People stay playing on it, it stays up... otherwise merged into a live server. Basically Vulak is this right now, but it is not a a good era (needs to be back in time to have any hope of working imo).

That gives 3 very different player niches what they want. We know #1 works. We saw #2 (for the most part) work with Sleeper/Combine. We suppose that #3 as a reboot of the mac server Al'Kabor would be successful.
  4. Diseases New Member

Thats the dumbest thing I have heard posted in weeks. Straight Downs
    Soon, Nolrog and Ducreux like this.
  5. Greendav Lorekeeper

Well a locked server would be for casu gamer
  6. Yanster Augur

I have 102 AA only camping shards and Emperor key . For me and guildies . Its really easy :/
  7. Nolrog Augur

/facepalm
  8. Tinytinker Augur

[IMG]

No....please no... we have enough servers..
  9. Finnster Elder

to the original poster: That idea is like going to school and deciding to forevery stay in 7th grade. Because you currently notice that the stuff you do in 7th grade is so much fun and you also have so many good friends in 7th grade that you never want to leave.
  10. fransisco Augur

Race servers are about the worst Idea ever.

Its basically a server for 70-100 people.
    The top 2-3 raid guilds blow through all the content leaving the other 99% of the server behind.

Can't think of a worse idea.
  11. snailish Augur

Prog 1 was basically run by 70-100 (more like 200ish) people setting the pace, it was a racing server. It was the racers that moved it to its fruitful end (a top guild on live servers out of that progression).

Prog 2 the voting threshold meant the top guilds had some others influencing the votes, but not many for Kunark. On Vulak there was a dramatic drop in leveling population after the success of the Kunark vote... lots of people didn't want to race as fast as the timeline was being set. Fippy is still progressing due to the dedicated few... 90 some? percent of the other 99% has left already.

Prog 3 pretty much proved voting is just bad, and that it is better to set the server rules at the outset and to make them different (if running more than one progression server).

Prog 4 (or whatever we are calling Phinny) is a decent compromise. Based on playing there, I think a larger population would be happier with faster XP and 4 month unlocks... neither of which really benefits the hardcore crowd that likes racing.

If the hardcore crowd likes racing and competing and amounts to about 3-4 guilds (enable raid zone pvp I think you could have more) I think that still amounts to more paying subs than several current servers. If a racing server cycle makes that niche group happy and keeps them off of Phinny/Ragefire/etc. 2.0 I think it's a worthwhile experiment. If it doesn't maintain interest and catch up to live (to cause a relaunch again) then you did the experiment, gave that playstyle a chance and move on.

Toss a bit of incentive in for server firsts and catching live... and the racing competition server cycle would be a robust proposition I think. I'll play on the more casual-aimed Phinny 2.0 myself, but can recognize lots of different playstyle players play this game.
  12. Machen New Member

I used to really want a racing server but I don't think it would work out well any more. The haul to live is LONG, and even without any lockouts at all you'd be talking multiple years with the difficulty and artificial timers in some of the later expansions, the need to gear up, etc. There are expansions that Fippy and Vulak managed to beat in days that would take weeks or months without the ~3 month farm period from the previous expansion. Racing guilds need a steady stream of replenishment applicants on progression servers, a server is only really healthy for the top guild when there are several lower tier guilds to give people who are new to the server a place to level up, gear up, and get ready for top end raiding, and obviously that wouldn't exist on a super fast server (especially if there were other server options.) I just don't see how a competitive guild could sustain the population needed to go the distance, and if the numbers aren't there, you can maybe push through like Citizen is doing but it will only take that much longer to beat each expansion.
  13. snailish Augur

It's a valid concern, and it applies to non-racing progression servers as well.

It may very well be that "catching live" shouldn't be the endgame for any progression server. After all, live keeps getting farther away. If Vulak can make it to SoD on fumes, maybe that is the cut-off point? With such an endpoint established from the onset of the server(s) existence perhaps that is enough to maintain momemtum.
  14. vardune Augur

I would love a server that stops at GoD or OoW, Luclin no way. Even a PoP stopped server would be awesome. I will stop laying as soon as mercs are added to Phinny, maybe after OoW and GoD.
  15. Coppercoz Augur

Thinking outside the box a bit, why not create new content for TLP expansions(which goes away from the P part, but oh well)? I have two accounts now and have no need to buy any expansions as I play mostly on the tlp servers.

Heck, reboot the franchise and start a tlp with the intent that the characters can be ported over to a new graphic version of everquest on the first, new expansion. I'd spend the money for that, but not sure who else would.
  16. Machen New Member

What is functionally different between this and just playing through the sequels to those expansions that they have already created? I mean, you have a whole gamut of expansions designed to come after Luclin already. (Probably the answer to my questions is obvious, but I'm asking for a reason, bear with me.)
  17. snailish Augur

I'm intrigued by the idea of an expanded progression experience. I think some/many won't like the idea though. I'm not sure I do... but let's put some ideas out:

I think you keep the era-tuning intact, but put more stuff in. Also, back-tune old stuff to be good still --so a level 35 zone is still worth getting level 35 gear in (you be adjusting in Kunark, Luclin, LoY... and TSS? under 50 with this idea). Note that I'm not saying change Luclin content in Luclin era... rather older content gets a bit of "Luclin Shine" put on it for Luclin.

As well, I think it is perfectly reasonable to look at the classic era loot table and seed items into Kunark (and so on), whether the easy way of same item new spot it drops or the slightly more involved new item, new NPC way. An imaginary example:

Flowing Purple Silk Sash is the same as FBSS but nodrop and becomes zonewide rare in Trakanon's Teeth. Or just make the FBSS drop off a few rare mobs in similar level parts of Kunark. More FBSS availability in Kunark has minimal economic impact, but may appeal to the non bleeding-edge types that want to do more of the world, and get wearable drops.

Once past an era, lore could progress. Velious goes live and Iksars and Sarnaks creep into a few old world zones with Kunark drops and/or lower Velious tuned drops on them. Maybe more bandits fringe the south end of Gfay and are higher level...

PoP drops and the empty parts of Netherbian Lair can be filled. Why not add a raid zone tuned to LoY era off Netherbian Lair? Why not finish intended things like Luclin actually being a raid boss on Luclin?

The benefit to the crazy idea of adding an era-tuned new zone (say Temple of Luclin raid encounter tuned to LoY) is that a live version level 105+ version could be launched at the same time.
  18. Ethereal Augur

I'm so glad DGB made a special server for people like you, who will eventually quit anyways. Excellent use of the amount of man hours they put into phini.

:rolleyes:
  19. Coppercoz Augur

Those expansions have been beaten. All the relevant quests, gear, xp grinds, spells, boss fights, etc, of each of the expansions are known or have been done before. Bosses go down in a couple of days after unlock as far as I can tell.

I realize tlp is mainly a trip down memory lane for most. I was just free thinking what if they got people out of their comfort zone and started a new expansion set altogether, complete with different epic quests, bosses, etc.
  20. malaki Augur

So play on live where there's a new expansion every year or so?