Welcome to Ragefire! Info and FAQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aristo, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aristo Developer

Welcome to Ragefire!

Starting a new EverQuest Progression Server is always a fun experience and we've been receiving a lot of great feedback about the Ragefire ruleset and what you

Quite a few of you are coming back to EverQuest from long absences. We'd like to welcome you back home. There have been some changes to the game in the past few years, though, so you might have some questions. If you don't find an answer here, be sure to ask around! The EverQuest community is remarkably helpful.

Q: What is a Progression Server in the first place?

An EverQuest Progression Server is a way to experience EverQuest as it grew over time. It begins with access to the original zones that were available at launch, and gradually adds expansions over time.

Ragefire is our third version of a Progression Server, and is the first to have its rules decided by player votes. Here is how it works:
    • Players will level up and gain power in the existing zones, eventually fighting and defeating raid targets from the era.
    • Once all of that era's raids have been defeated, a timer starts. For Ragefire this timer will be six months up until Gates of Discord, when it is reduced to 3 months.
    • When the timer is over, a voting period begins. Players can go to Priests of Discord and [vote] yes if they want to advance to the next expansion era, or no if they want to stay. Players must be within 20 levels of the current level cap in order to vote.
    • At the end of the voting period, if the "Yes" vote won, the next expansion is unlocked and the cycle begins again.
    Q: What is the difference between a Progression Server and a new standard server?

Standard ruleset servers start out with the same rules and expansions as other Live servers. All race/class combinations are available, including Drakkins and Berserkers (but not Drakkin Berserkers), all starting city options are available, and players can reach the maximum level cap (currently 105) with no restrictions. Features we added later in the game to speed the path from 1-50 (or 70, or 85, or...) such as revamped Newbie quests, Defiant armor, and Hot Zones, all exist.

A Progression Server obviously starts out with only original EverQuest zones (plus some early additions). In cases where we feel additions were too powerful when backfilled into an era, we have done our best to remove them or disable them in other ways until the appropriate time.

Q: What is the difference between a Progression Server and a "Classic" server?

By most descriptions, a "Classic" server is an attempt to recreate EverQuest exactly as it was at launch, using only assets and content that was available in March of 1999.

A Progression Server is another EverQuest server, and therefore runs alongside existing servers. It contains many changes that have been made to the game since 1999, such as maps, Krono, a more configurable UI, the removal of "Hell Levels" and race/class experience penalties, custom chat channels and serverwide or cross-server communication, the ability to memorize spells via right-clicks, the ability to "Find" specific NPCs or locations, and many other enhancements.

In cases where we have updated or changed the layout of zones, Progression Servers use the updated version of the zone geometry. In cases where we have changed items or player abilities, Progression Servers use those updated abilities. In cases where items were completely removed, those items will either stay removed or be available for a very limited time on Progression Servers. In cases where zone population was changed, you may not find all of the NPCs you remember in exactly the same places they were before, or you may encounter new NPCs with new loot that wasn't there before.

Q: I found a piece of equipment that my character can't use, but I was able to equip it anyway! Is this a bug?

No, it's not a bug. While you may be able to wear it, the item will not give you any benefits. You can tell when an item isn't usable by you for some reason when it turns that slot yellow in your inventory.

Q: There are some augmentation vendors in home cities. Weren't augs a later addition?

Yes, augmentations weren't added to the game until Lost Dungeons of Norrath, but these augmentation vendors were created specifically for Progression servers with the intent to even out the disparity between casters and melee weapon users.

Q: How do I use an augmentation? I don't see any Augmentation Sealers around any more.

You don't need to use an item in the world to insert augmentations in to items any more. Just move the augmentation into that item's aug slot and it will pop in! You will need to find an augmentation distiller to remove an augmentation from a weapon, but if you have the correct distiller in your inventory you can remove that aug at any time in any place.

Q: What are all of these spell research merchants doing here?

The spell research system is one of the few tradeskills where we could not keep both the old version and the new version working at the same time. While you can still use words, pages, and runes to create practice runes to gain research skill, you must use the new system to make new spells. You may see many items such as "exquisite platinum etched rune" and "gold embossed runes" on some creatures. These replaced the old runes, words, or pages that no longer are useful for research and are intended to be sold freely.

Q: Why are these soulbinders here?

While soulbinders are a more recent addition to the game, we feel that they provide a necessary service for players at all levels who can't bind themselves in a new town.

Q: What are these Noble Exchange merchants?

Nobles are a very recent addition to the game that are meant to allow players to make very large value transfers (over two million platinum) that weren't possible before. While we don't expect them to be needed for that purpose on Ragefire, most of the Noble Exchange NPCs already existed in the world and have just been given a new ability.

Q: There are NPCs up that were added for later quests. Is this okay?

Yes, even though many NPCs have been added to the game for quests that are not yet available (including epic quests), we have not removed most of the NPCs that exist for those quest purposes in the original continents. You're free to "pre-loot" as many items as you wish.

Q: Why are there two Greater Faydarks?

We have enabled zone load balancing on many newbie zones, so that once population hits a certain level, a new version of that zone will load. You can use the /pickzone command to swap between them.

Q: Sometimes I click on the blue text when I talk to an NPC but they don't respond.

In original EverQuest content, many NPCs did not tell you exactly what they would respond to. Although we have added brackets that should lead you to the correct phrase, in some cases you will have to experiment with what you say to get a response. We have been gradually correcting these over time, so please let us know about them on dgcissuetracker.com.

Q: What has changed with pets?

Quite a lot, but in short, your pet will stay with you when zoning, logging out, or if you become invisible. If your pet decides it won't equip an item you give it, it will give you the item back.

Q: I died but all of my items stayed with me. Is this a bug?

No, you no longer have to find your corpse in order to retrieve your items if you die. If you are level 6 or above, though, you did lose experience and you can be resurrected to restore a portion of that experience.

Q: What is Shadowrest?

Shadowrest is a zone corpses go to when they decay with items on them. You can retrieve those items from your corpse while there. Although we don't expect anyone on Ragefire to ever need Shadowrest, the NPCs that send you there will remain in case the unexpected happens.

Q: I think I found a bug/problem. How do I report it?

Join our community JIRA project here: https://dgcissuetracker.com/projects/EQ

You can see if your issue has already been reported, and if not, let us know about it. The more information you can provide, the quicker it can be confirmed and sent to us. It's also a good practice to use /bug, particularly if a specific NPC is involved. If you have that NPC targeted and check the "Send target information" box in a /bug, it helps us find and fix the problem much more quickly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.