Weird situation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolaisa, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Kolaisa Elder

My problem, is when I have played for the past couple days I get severe random lag, so severe my toon can't even move. I do multibox but not every toon gets this.

Last night I was playing with a friend and my main window locked up for over 2 mins, but another window had zero lag. I can tell this because I have my monitor divided into quads. Trying to open a daybreak webpage, caused the game to lag. Immediately after it fully loaded, I got no lag, the entire time it was loading, massive lag (only on the toon that already had lag). Other pages do not cause this. No other internet related application does this EXCEPT everquest. Its not always the same toon either.

I have checked on other computers and even from work, which is a different network and this happens. I can usually play anywhere between 10 mins and 2 hours, then I have to log everything off, restart and it goes for another short bit of time before I need to restart again.

I do multibox 5 toons. Yes I have tried only a single toon and it still lags after a short bit of time. I have restarted my router multiple times in the past few days too. I was at a buddies house and checked my accounts from his place and they still lag, but his don't.

At this point I cant play anymore, lag is just so bad. I play on bertox and my in game ping counter is usually around 20-40ms. I have used seperate speedcheck apps to check my speeds and ping and none of them show anything to be concerned over. Im very seriously contemplating a reinstall.
    It only started after bonus xp was over.

Any ideas?
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you're running a log file, make sure it hasn't gotten too bloated.

If running AV software, make sure you set the EQ directory as an exception.
  3. Kolaisa Elder

Wouldn't the log file being to bloated cause this to happen only on this computer and with the same toon everytime? It does not happen to the same toon everytime, plus Ive put it on my work computer to test it and it happens there. Log files and AV are both local to my computer, not others too.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Open task manager and see if something is up to 100% usage.
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Conq Augur

Do you have any minimized chat windows? Instead of minimizing spam or junk chat windows, I run them in tabs or in a separate super small window.
    Conq
  6. Kolaisa Elder

No small/miniminzed windows. Nothing is running at 100%, most of the time it's less than 40% total usage.
  7. Iven Antonius Bayle

Hi Kolaisa,
    if only one of your player characters does experience this problem the data on the server might be corrupted which does mean that it is a technical problem that only DBG could solve. But maybe you have changed some options settings recently on that character/account. First of all graphical options might cause the lag. Synchronize the options with your other accounts. Also check out the Hero log journal or whatever it is called by pressing Alt-J and disable it !
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Kolaisa Elder

The journal is already disabled. My far clip pane somehow got turned up to 100 on all of them, turned it back down to 35 or so, some lower. I havent had this problem until this week. I took Mon/Tues off and when I came back Wed, this was happening. No options, no settings, nothing was changed on purpose, the far clip got changed somehow, thats been fixed but it has NOT fixed the issue.

It being corrupted data might be a viable option, except the toons are all playing in the same spot at the same time. If it was corrupted it would likely being affecting them all, not effecting one and not the others. It's not always the same toon on the same play session.
  9. Rondor Augur

Far clip plane has default keyboard shortcut controls of Shift-minus and Shift-equals for in/out. I end up hitting these keys randomly without noticing it while playing sometimes though not too often, and then discover the next day that my clip plane has changed.

This may be happening to you. You can edit or remove those shortcut keys in ALT-O -> General -> Keys -> category Camera -> "Clip plane in" and "Clip plane out".
  10. FrozenWater Augur

SNIP

From the first part of the quote, are you telling us that opening the EQ web page is the only cause of the lag, or just a reliable way to reproduce the issue?

From the second part of the quote, are you telling us that it also happens randomly, or that the EQ web page load only causes the issue after the time period.

It's really hard to build a timeline with the info you have provided.
  11. Kolaisa Elder

1. Opening the daybreak only made the lag worse. I had lag spikes (upto about 30 secs before that), it was not the only cause of it. The DBC page was just an example of how bad it gets from something not even in game. No other webpage does this. I even stream TV/movies while I play and have never had problems until this week.
    2. It happens randomly, across all toons, but it starts off with directional movement (pulling a mob and running back to grp, has me running TOWARDS the mob, when it starts), it always starts like this, sometimes it gets better for a while, other times I'll be restarting in 5 minutes because its so bad.
    3. People I have grouped with have commented why I so crazy with my movement, as the can see me running in crazy directions, they just dont have lag. They have seen me try and melee and not do anything after I told (voice) that I have started attacking. They can see the side effects of the lag, just not the lag.

BTW, this is happening in the new OT zone, and all EoK zones. I was in an old very early zone yesterday and no lag at all.
  12. FrozenWater Augur

Ok, so the web page, movies, etc. all still play/work fine when you are experiencing the lag, it is just the game client itself that lags?
  13. Kolaisa Elder

They all work fine, except that one instance, it just seems wierd that a DBC webpage loading very slow at the exact time the lag was happening, but once it fully loaded, the lag went away.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Since the chat filter changes and patches there are new ways for the log file to induce lag. Go through your chat filters for combat, spells, and melee. Turn them to off, me only, group only, as possible. Test lag reduction. I found that other DS were lagging me out bad on raid fights.

The game uses browsers for Overseer and Marketplace that lag the main thread. Make sure those windows are closed and not minimized.

The game mail window is also a source of lag. Make sure it is closed.
  15. Kolaisa Elder

The in game mail window hasn't been opened in, I don't know, over a year. When I do overseer and marketplace, I never minimize them, it's always open, do what I need to, close.

Like I said before, nothing changed with my settings, and before this week, I never had this problem. This is a recent thing without changing anything.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Could be a Microsoft update has caused this, I've had several over the lifetime of Windows 10 lead to problems with games.
    Winnowyl and Elyssanda like this.
  17. Kolaisa Elder

I don't use win10. Im still using win7 until I am forced to upgrade from it. I haven't done any updates for I don't know how long, and auto updates are turned off.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Possibly CPU Affinity related?
  19. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Sounds like what used to happen on WinXP when it had a memory leak. I always had to restart before raids, so that I'd have a clean slate to build the lag. Often had to relog again during raids to clear it out. That was with everything minimized (not the windows, but like, clip plane down, no sky, no special armor, no sparklies, etc) and only enough turned on for logging as was necessary to parse myself and have GamTextTriggers work.
  20. Kolaisa Elder

Except Ive been playing for months this way, and like I've said before, the lagfest only happened when bonus xp ended. It was just fine before that.