We wanted you to think outside the box but...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Montag Augur

[IMG]
    MMOer likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ahh so you had a particular box in mind after all?
  3. Montag Augur

No, just not one full of terrible ideas that will certainly be the most toxic server in EQ history.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This post barely deserved to be a comment in one of the existing threads, let alone its own new post
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  5. brickz Augur

no server will ever be as toxic as a server whose defining feature is reporting other players for breaking the rules
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well, newsflash here but your definition of "terrible idea" is probably not the same as everyone else's.

This is one of those cases of "put up or shut up"

So what's your brilliant out of the box idea that will not result in a toxic server?
  7. yerm Augur

Any FV loot server is going to attract tons and tons and tons of people who want to pay real money for their loot. Which means it will attract farmers who will sell it to them. Random loot is a decent compromise as it means you aren't beholden to certain camps that can be monopolized and are free to move about if you're not one of those people, or you can easily find tons of items to buy and the farmers can safely do it in easy areas if you are one of those and looking to shop.

If you're looking for some kind of conceptually-aradune server where people have to play together and not box their way to victory, NO server with fv loot will ever be it.
  8. Montag Augur

Oh I dunno maybe a recycling server for the most popular era that empties into the pop locked server once per year like people have been asking for for several years and ultra-obviously addresses the two big issues, the fact that servers die after pop and the fact that they cant afford to keep spinning up new servers indefinitely for the people who want to do fresh classic-pop runs every year.
    Ketzerei84 likes this.
  9. yerm Augur

A yearly phinny clone that empties into agnarr is so very far from thinking outside the box. That's about as in the box an idea as you can get.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So you think an Agnarr clone is out of the box thinking?
    Server merging is out of the box thinking?

Except that thus far none of the TLP servers has died after PoP, every TLP thus far has steadily lost players, of course this is dependant upon your personal definition of death.

If you were in a guild that collapsed or quit or merged into another guild by PoP and you decided to not continue playing, you chose to leave, the server didn't die just your guild did.

If you were a casual that never joined a guild and depended upon the PuG scene for groups and you quit playing because you couldn't get PuG's any more well, the server still isn't dead you just, again, chose to stop playing on it.

So long as there are a handful of guild clearing raid content in era the server is not dead, fact is most TLP servers have a more than healthy population of active guild clearing raid content in era long past PoP.

This whole "servers die after PoP" nonsense is factually incorrect mythological bovine excrement.

When did they say they were going to stop making new TLP?

More of that factless rhetoric.

I'm not against the recycling, or seasonal TLP idea at all, in fact i think tied in with some "season" rewards it has a lot of potential. Just because they didn't use that this year (yet) doesn't mean it won't happen another year.
    Tweakfour17, Karreck and SunDrake like this.
  11. SunDrake Augur

There was a point that I thought a future for TLPs was bleak, but if you've followed what's happened over the last year or so, it's encouraging. You can see them doing the work to keep TLPs going. It wasn't too long ago that Fippy was still a server, and Lockjaw, and Brekt [not TLP, but was a TLP dumping ground.]

The Selo server has hit live. A guild made it all the way through. And Phinigel is next, and they still have multiple guilds, I think. Then Miragul isn't too far off. Selo's is literally a server waiting to be recycled. Point being, they've actually demonstrated that they do have an end game for these now. So 'what is our plan for the LIFE of a TLP' is something they'll have in mind going forward.
  12. Xhartor Augur

The best part about the rule set is shorten of some expansion that dont' need that length, 2 month of kunark and 1 month of classic and LDoN. Next step is to get DoN and PoR reduced to 1 month and 2 months of frozen hell that is velious.

I think the OoW - PoR era does more increase attrition then Post-PoP.
    Omen is fun until everyone has their epic and RSS Aug, then it drys to only logging in on Anguish raid nights.
    DoN has Vish + 3 other dragons and a faction grind that over after 1 week.
    DoDh is fun expansion, has lot to do.
    PoR has few decent missions and bad raid encounters.

Another problem with the era is the lack of gear inflation:
    Luclin - PoP: Noticable stat inflation in the gear.
    LDoN: Add aug, gear drop were worse then PoP.
    PoP - GoD: Noticable stat inflation in the gear.
    OoW: Anguish is a minor increase over Tacvi, MPG trial are Tacvi quality.
    DoN: Vish is on par with Anguish, Other 3 dragons are Tacvi loot.
    DoDh: Minor increase of Anguish, with the type 12 being only real notable items.
    PoR: Either on par or minor increase over DoDh. Also lacks complete gear sets.

End results is don't really feel your mission much.
    Faydra and Skuz like this.
  13. Eqfanatic17 New Member

I love the idea of a new TLP but i hate truebox rules, i get it, everyone hates boxers, because it allows krono farmers and the destruction of your original fantasy of EQ. but newsflash, it isn't 1999 anymore, original EQ doesn't exist, we don't have corpse runs anymore, we have maps, and yes people box... 3 years from now when 90% of the server has quit, boxing is the only way content will continue to be cleared. by not allowing boxing, they are promising a server than won't last. just my opinion.
  14. yerm Augur

If mischief was not truebox I suspect it would kill a lot of rizlona guilds. Being truebox, I expect it to murder aradune instead.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

no truebox server is overrun in classic to pop by box squads, aka "magefire"

truebox server player retention is badly impacted the deeper into the expansions that the server gets

thats why i keep banging on about dropping truebox at DoDH - it roughly equates to the removal of the 1 client per machine that existed on live servers up to that point, at the latest by SoD - its a compromise so the server benefits from truebox early on without getting harmed by it later on.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. yerm Augur

Rizlona did not have serious problems with box monopolies after the very beginning. The lack of heavyhanded rmt farming meant there wasn't a big problem. Aradune actually had the issues, due to both more people causing crowding and way more rmt. So I basically reject your first sentence; truebox is not what causes servers to be overrun. RMT and just a large pop is what does it.

With niente's spread the love idea I think issues with box monopolies go down even more. Even if there is a mass kronolord boxing somewhere... so what? Every rare item can drop somewhere else!
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I was largely referring to past examples where that did happen, Ragefire, Rizlona was different for many reasons.

Yep, I've said much the same thing myself in the mischief threads.
    code-zero and yerm like this.
  18. Brunlin Augur

Ummm they tried this with Aradune and Rizilona........They first announced these servers as pop lock......many of us knew that they would probably merge these two and Agnaar into one server later on.......but there never got that far because as soon as they announced both servers as pop lock......the forums got flamed.....a overwhelming amount of people said they would not play on a pop lock server....so in a few hours they had to double back and said that these two servers would not be pop lock.
  19. Machen New Member

Ragefire was only an issue because no AoC's. Rizlona has shown us that pretty clearly. Despite all the naysayers, it's been the most peaceful and least drama filled of any TLP's thus released.
    Karreck, Gnothappening and yerm like this.
  20. Zipe The Healer

You forgot to notice that farming augs on Mischief will be a nightmare and people will take ages to get their full set of AC augs, on any expansion.
    Will end up buying them on baz from a dude that randomly got it from a Bloodfields named.

So, OoW will take longer to "try to only log for raid" haha.

If tanks cried about how tough was tank life because of keeping up with AC augs... on this server they'll just reroll to a random potato class.

Wait, not just tanks;

That will happen to anyone that wants to target farm anything.

There you have a potato, so you can remember me when you are on X era trying to get Y aug.
    I'll be so proud of you; You made that far into TLP progression, you survived PoP and OoW-PoR attrition, now you are alone on the server because most of the dudes left for phinny 8.0 and the year later to phinny 9.0 and the next year to Phinny 11.0. Yet there you are, killing any named you find to try to Target farm an augment that you'll never get because of Mischief's RNG.
    There is your potato, never forget it. That's how you'll feel: as useless as a potato. Only useful to feed the krono lords.

[IMG]
    PVPme likes this.