Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fluid, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Fluid Augur

OK, I have an odd idea of fun.

I spent countless hours killing at the undead ruins in the Qeynos Hills back in the day. *NEVER* got a Glowing Black Stone although I was there when one of the first ones on the shard dropped for one of my friends. Kind of a 'DOH, what's this?' moment.

So I'd spent some time in the last year with Hadden getting a fishbone earring. I went though a whole convoluted process of two boxing, charming Hadden with my Enchanter, dueling my other box so Hadden tanks. After that I charmed just about every charmable NPC in the Hills just to see what they dropped. You gotta love taking no faction hits. Of course SOE has made a lot of NPCs non-charmable but there are still enough to keep things interesting.

The whole [Pyzjn, Varsoon, ...] thing has always fascinated me. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar: I have thought for the last 14 years there must be something else to the story. Ditto for Torvax Vmar, one time when I killed him he dropped a Kerran Doll. I had always thought that VI put something in there beyond 'rare spawn/rare drop' for the quest that nobody figured out.

To give some idea on just how long I fooled with this, I picked up two GBS!

So I started collecting stuff. Turns out if you want Torvox's dropped note, you have to follow him. If you are within an aggro radius while he is marching between his hill and the guard tower, that triggers him to head north and drop the note by the ruins.

Pyzjn seems to pop a little more often or at least as often as ever. Charmed her, gave her the note, nothing. Switched to a necro she was less factionated against, nothing. Switched to sneaking Druid, nothing. Tried engaging her in conversation, nothing worked. Duel killed her and next time she popped, gave her the GBS back, nothing so I killed her and looted it back from her corpse.

After a week of this I kind of made Varsoon pop by accident. I was just bored and massacring everything in the ruins and apparently one of the putrid skeletons/skeletons are his place holder. So I go though the standard, give him the GBS, nothing. Tell him 'That chick Pyzjn is really hot for you!' nothing. I think I gave him the note too, hard to remember as I spent a couple of hours talking to him. Ah heck, duel, die, loot.

So Varsoon the undying pops. That cat is a bad 'shut your mouth'. He starts rampaging, killing everything in sight. My Enchanter runs up to him and he goes aggro on him. Of course against a much higher level Enchanter it is like having a mouse nibbling at your toes. I think I went to the kitchen and made a sandwich before I came back and charmed him. Just no threat at all. Did the note and GBS thing, nothing. Duel, killed, looted.

I think I had tried about every possiblity, charming Torvax and walking him up to Pyzjn, charming Pyzjn and keeping her around for Varsoon, nothing seemed to work. Turns out if you keep them charmed, they don't seem to depop.

Then it kind of got interesting. In one of the cycles Varsoon the Undying got away from me. He did his usual 'nuts' thing but got all the way to Blackburrow before I caught up with him. For some reason he was just going nuts running back and forth in front of the Erudite by the entrance so I charmed him and started walking him back. He is STILL attacking everything in sight except my Enchanter. He takes on the Millers, Gnolls, rats, doesn't matter. Finally he gets in a fight with Holly Windstalker and I decide to let him lose rather then take the faction hit. About then I am thinking if a PC happens into the Hills, I am going to have a tough time explaining how I got my pet to attack them, so he dies and I have one less GBS.

Just a side note, people have noticed that occasionally or at least more often then would be expected Pyzjn pops in the Hills. Niclaus Ressinn pathing takes him into the ruins where he kills the place holders. Maybe I should have given him the GBS.

Well, it was fun. While I had my characters in the old world I managed to get my Ogre's faction up with Bards to the point where they can visit the Bard Guild w/o being attacked and my Druid can now sit down to meditate next to the corrupt Qeynos guards.
    Ishtass and Moklianne like this.
  2. Uxtalzon Augur

Tovax, unsure of what begins with him, but if you follow him around he eventually drops a poop bag (letter to Opal Darkbriar from Sragg) when he stops at certain spots. You take the note down to Sragg in the Qeynos Aqueducts and he gets ticked off, summoning Tovax there before him. Nothing happens. Tovax has no faction there, so if you kill him, no hit. No idea what the point of it is for.

As for Pzyjin, if you hail her, she speaks in third person about herself pleasing Tovax. Can't get any further dialogue than that.

As for Varsoon, never see that guy up. Very rare. I suspect he's on the same factions as all the others. Good old mysteries that nobody clearly found out what they're for, mostly because these NPCs were hunted down since the beginning and being IN a newbie area means they didn't stay up for long for anyone to investigate long enough.
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

Could have saved yourself a lot of time. The entire Pyzjin cycle was explained by Absor (think it was him? maybe Prathun?) on the old forums several years ago. Here is the post:

Pyzjin
    There are two spawns in Qeynos Hills that can appear as Pyzjn. Their respawn time is 3 minutes.
    These NPCs wander the zone. NPCs on these spawns are supposed to despawn at 7am / 9pm, presumably so they will respawn as the correct day or night version. Note that the night in EverQuest is 10 hours long and the day is 14 hours long, making it a little more difficult to find NPCs that only pop at night.
    ENCOUNTER_DESCRIPTION Q2QVarsoonPyzjnMISCmob
    MONSTER_1_NAME a_mangy_rat
    MONSTER_1_NIGHT_NAME Varsoon
    MONSTER_1_PERCENT 3
    MONSTER_2_NAME a_brown_bear
    MONSTER_2_NIGHT_NAME a_decaying_skeleton
    MONSTER_2_PERCENT 5
    MONSTER_3_NAME a_grizzly_bear
    MONSTER_3_NIGHT_NAME a_restless_skeleton
    MONSTER_3_PERCENT 15
    MONSTER_4_NAME a_large_field_rat
    MONSTER_4_NIGHT_NAME a_putrid_skeleton
    MONSTER_4_PERCENT 30
    MONSTER_5_NAME a_fire_beetle
    MONSTER_5_NIGHT_NAME Pyzjn
    MONSTER_5_PERCENT 7
    MONSTER_6_NAME a_gray_wolf
    MONSTER_6_NIGHT_NAME a_skeleton
    MONSTER_6_PERCENT 20
    MONSTER_7_NAME a_giant_rat
    MONSTER_7_NIGHT_NAME a_dread_corpse
    MONSTER_7_PERCENT 20
  4. Edrick Augur

I really wish that thread was still alive and was updated once a week or whenever Prathun/other developer had time. I get goosebumps with those tidbits of info.

Like, I've always wanted to get Dunedigger in North Ro forever for his Scute Shield. Back then, it was an awesome group tank shield. I wonder what his spawn table is like.
  5. Fluid Augur

I'm familiar with that. Like I said, I was part of the a group that killed her and got probably the first GBS on Eci. I made a number of posts about the procedure for spawning her in other venues. I had no trouble spawning her a couple of times an EQ night. TWO GBS! I mean sheesh! That is probably close to 30 kills plus the charming her and leading her around for a couple of EQ days talking to people. :) All I added here is the following Torvax in his aggro range to get him to head north to drop the note and Niclaus Ressinn. Well, there is Varsoon the Undying as a killer pet but nobody in their right mind would try that or risk losing their account.

There were also a lot of shall we say spaz moves? I got lazy a couple of times and charmed Niclaus or Holly and put them in the Ruins to help keep them clear. DOH! Soon as Pzyjn spawned, they dropped her like a bag of dirt: Couldn't pull them off fast enough.

I spent hours trying to find the key word, 'Opal wants to know how progress is going', 'Sragg sends his regards', 'S'ragg sends his regards'<both spellings you find in game>, 'Torvax says hi!', 'How are things with Bertoxluxuus?", 'Seen the plaguebringer lately?' Repeated with every option available like sneaking Druid and Necromancer, just couldn't hit it. I got a new keyboard today with a 128k buffer you can load text into. I may just send a dictionary to NPCs if I do it again.

*BUT* if you want to see something I found kind of interesting, there was some lore in EQ II I believe.

http://www.lorelibrary.com/?page=list&type=book&id=33

Reading those was the closest I have come in the last 14 years at getting some satisfaction. I really need a hint like "That's all there is!" or "Keep searching!" from a Dev. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The Clothspinner sisters weren't exactly a dynamite quest even when you did all the options.
  6. Uxtalzon Augur

If you want to get on Tovax's good side, kill the 4-5 paladin/cleric NPCs in the Temple of Thunder guild. It raises faction with Bloodsabers to a decent degree. When you max the faction, buy tons of silver bars and hunt down a gnome in North Karana that runs back and forth along the top of the zone (dumb little werewolf hunters gang). It repairs all the factions you damaged with no downside, and boom, even I'm kindly to Bloodsabers today.

If you kill Temple of Life NPCs including Koalindl (North Qeynos), it does the same and raises it faster, but damages Antonius Bayle faction... but the only two NPCs that come to mind that even resemble that faction are the dynamic during-the-day Kane Bayle and during-the-night Commander Kane down in the aqueducts.

When you hail Tovax, I think his response is yelling at you wondering how you know his name. Pretty funny. lol
  7. Fluid Augur

Thanks for the tip but for some reason I am slow to damage faction in Qeynos yet again. I spent a lot of my early time in EQ with an SK fish killer for Stein of Moggok Quest. Years later I still hate that loading screen! You could be 100% right in that triggering quests may need ally faction or some such. I'll catch my breath and try it in a week or two. I think my gf has a DE Necro or something in the 20s I could use. Probably should talk to Opal in Freeport too.

I was two boxing this so I had my Enchanter there most of the time with a mix of everything else from Paladin to interrogate Niclaus to a Necromancer follower of Bertoxxulous to talk with Torvax. Usually had Druid or Ranger for tracking. I didn't trot out my Bard though, not like anybody but other Bards like Bards. Probably had 10 characters over two accounts in Qeynos Hills! :) Exhausting but fun and a challenge.