Warrior weapons on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Malkavius, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Malkavius Augur

I've been playing a warrior recently which I decided to main for some reason. I am trying to figure out what weapons I should try to focus on till luclin. It used to be proc good ratio > amazing ratio. Now wurmslayer is king and we have provoke. So price seem less useful. My war is only 40 but can hold aggro just as well as pally or sk due to provoke. Usually holding aggro over them during slower hours when you take who you can.

I have no clue if speed is king anymore. Seb croaking Dirk used to be amazing for a war. But sells for like 1k. The game has changed alot and I just don't know what to focus on for threat or even DPS if I want to.
  2. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Speed is NOT king. Ratio is king, at least for the purpose of maximum DPS. And Wurmslayer is not king either. If you rely on provoke as your aggro generation, people are always going to think of you as a tank that cannot hold aggro. Provoke is ok for those level 40 groups, but not good enough to hold aggro from a fully geared wiz or necro.

As for threat, Warriors do not get a whole lot of choice here. Best thing you can get in Kunark is Warrior epic. If you are not in a raid guild this probably will not happen, at least not in era. Any weapon with a stun (SSoY, for instance) is good aggro, for the simple reason that even a resisted stun still generates aggro. You don't get any real aggro weapons until Blade of Carnage in Velious, and even better is the Bloodfrenzy in Luclin.

I would say that based on my experience on other progression servers, by the time you hit max level, provoke will just not cut it anymore. Grab yourself a couple of SSoY for now and go to town. Much better aggro than Wurmslayer for sure.
  3. Iyacc Augur

Snare and stun are good for threat until you get your epic. Two SSoY are good until then.
    Silken whip of ensnaring from crypt in Seb can be bought for 1k to 1500pp and the 1h stun hammer from Chardok is probably little more expensive just because not as many people do Chardok.

Go to freeport and put the wulfenite augs on them and you are gtg til epic time. You'll still use the provoke line on top of these and quite frankly there's going to be people can still pull agro off you if they want to. If you get in a group with someone who just pulls agro every pull after this, then just let them tank til they get tired of rez sickness.

Once you get epics, it's much easier to keep agro.
  4. Malkavius Augur

I read an older topic that calculated wurmslayer to now be the best in slot for both rangers and warriors due to damage bonus changes. One of the reasons it goes for 7-10 krono.Also it seems alot of people are relying on old school information for warriors. Ssoy is crap aggro generator outside of classic. The ratio is bad and it's reliance on a proc isn't worth it against better ratio seb Dirk. Which is pretty much the best ratio weapon outside of raids.
  5. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Seems to me you know everything already. I can tell you that the information you have about Wurmslayer being that good is wrong. It goes for 7-10 KR because people know idiots have a soft spot for it from back in the day, and a fool and his money are soon parted.

Wurmslayer might be better for damage purposes, but you are a Warrior, so your damage is irrelevant. It is your job to hold aggro and take hits. Thats it. SSOY is MUCH better aggro than Wurmslayer.

My guess is you will not take this advice and by the time you are 60 you will still be using a Wurmslayer in groups. And they will PRAY for you to log off so they can get a real tank in the group.
  6. Iyacc Augur

Pretty much this.

I see people offering to pay krono for the WS or pieces to get it and just shake my head. By all means use what you think is fun but if you do a lot of PUG groups, you may not get asked back if you can't keep agro. If you're keeping agro with wurmslayer and provoke then great for you. Your group is probably not killing at maximum efficiency/potential.
    I've only ever played a warrior, through PoP, on three(including this one) different servers. I do not by any means remember everything or know all the intricate little technical details on every weapon. I do know how to keep my groups alive though and get asked back for repeat action. ;)
  7. Sursha New Member

Lvl 60 warrior here and i parse my DPS, Wurmslayer has increased my dps substantially. I also have no problem keeping Agro with it. My dps went from 50 - 70 dps up to 90 - 110. I was using seb dirk/ guard captain mallet.

However, my piercing was not maxed and Prior logs I didn't have an RBG.
  8. Malkavius Augur

Look I was trying to wade through information that has been evolving for 17 years. While constantly looking up what used to work. And I wanted to know what does work in the current game. Which you clearly didn't know.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/a-problem-with-wurmslayers.229464/

Is the post for why I even asked this. But whatever suck on your angry thumb kid.
  9. snailish Augur

For the sake of us that haven't played warrior, and have only casually dabbled with rangers over the years... how does the recent (it was in the last year or two right) DPS change impact weapon selection and is it just for those two classes?

My read from this thread is wurmslayer is now top DPS of the readily tradable weapons for both warrior and Ranger for some time (how long? --I thought when the change was done people were posting it would take NToV drops to surpass wurmslayer now?) but not necessarily the best generator of threat/hate.

It does seem reasonable that a tweak to DPS formulas could alter the "top 5 droppable weapons" list and that based on a person's intent you'd have a different list for tanking vs. dps. With non-lore you'd even have augment variations (i.e., I love lifetap augs on my soloing melee on servers past DoN).
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Agnarr is weird that way. GEBs are still 7-8k. I'm pretty sure I was buying GEBs on Phinny for 2k at this point in that server's existence.
  11. Kutsuu Augur

It's so weird how misinformation can last for so many years in this game.

It was long ago (many, many years at this point) shown that as far as melee damage agro is concerned (before considering procs), the max potential damage of your hits determine the agro you create - essentially this means potential DPS, or weapon ratio, is the deciding factor. Even if you miss you will generate the same agro as if you hit for max dmg. This stuff was tested and shown on TSW WAY WAY back. With the modern damage bonus changes it is even moreso viable to use slower better ratio weapons because the fast weapons don't even have a damage bonus advantage.

Procs of course are bigger agro generators in most cases than melee damage. SSOY proc adds something like 300-400 damage worth of agro (I don't recall the exact value). However the fact that the melee damage you do with it is so terrible compared to much better ratio weapons available, you end up RELYING on procs to keep agro. This is very frustrating especially when you aren't capping dex.

In most cases a Warrior can indeed keep agro with Wurmslayer going for max damage output, and the agro is more reliable than a very bad ratio weapon with a proc. The worst case is that you'll single attack a few times in a row instead of doubles/triples and not get as much agro out of it. At the higher levels when weapons start keeping good ratios while having procs that's a good time to swap if you are starting to group with epic'd melee DPS and hasty wizards who generate too much agro for pure DPS to hold.
    Blart likes this.
  12. Catashe Augur

Don't forget theres the new kunark quests thats usually a weapon
  13. taliefer Augur

wurmslayer is now the best tradeable agro weapon in kunark and its not particularly close.

wurmslayer was garbage back when all 1handed weapons had the same damage bonus regardless of delay, but that is no longer the case
  14. Beatboy New Member

I can confirm the aggro on Wurmslayer is very significant. I recently picked one up yesterday and even while using Earthcaller, I still had to use spells to supplement the threat. When I switched to Wurmslayer, I was able to hold aggro with auto attack alone against one of our top monks in our dungeon.
  15. AgentofChange Augur

Just channel your inner sith lord and dual wield your red blades.
  16. Montag Augur

17. Accipiter Old Timer

The new quests have one problematic zone in common: Howling Stones. If you have access to HS, great. If not, you might as well not bother with the new quests.
  18. Malkavius Augur

Saddest part about it is I play a troll so I can't even wield it.

Wish Mcjumps would come back and be a condescending know it all like the rest of the people on this server who have no idea what they are talking about.
  19. dOOB New Member

I believe the reason that wurmslayer is so good for dps, against raid mobs specifically, is that bonus dmg is not effected by MotM. We had a warrior log multiple fights in PoSky with different two handers and slower weapons with worse ratios regularly beat out better ratio faster weapons.
  20. Gremin Augur

As a warrior for many years now and having just done Kunark era when LJ went through it I will say that I was using a wurmslayer as was almost every single warrior worth their salt on RF/LJ until epics.