Warrior Or Shadowknight 105 Advice: EOK!

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by o0shalka0o, Mar 15, 2017.

1. o0shalka0o New Member

EOK I have a 105 shadowknight, ive all ways played shadowknight... i dont like the fact there a dime a dozen and i dont want a paladin, so war is only other option out there Plus raid tanking seems like a blast, Dps seems like a ton of fun but i dont want a berzerker, and i dont want Something like a beastlord where there are a million buttons to click (i would want to be top tier dps tho if i chose that option) servers are down figured id start a discussion thread to get some of my answers. Willing to hear about dps classes that might not be on the Heavy button mashing side (i know about keybindings, but just lvld a beastlord and hate that im constantly targeting self targeting mob etc just too much work for not enough of a pay off in dps imo all though i know a well played beastlord does great dps.)
    So heres my question for all you warriors out there:
    1. clr or sham box (Yes i know for adps sham but is there any realy reason to box my 105 cleric?)
    2. how does you endurance keep up? big pet peeve of mine is not having mana or end so how well can you manage ur endurance?
    3. Agro / tanking wise, how will it be in T2 group gear?
    4. aoe agro is this a problem?
    5. What is the best way to hold agro? the Respite(i think thats the name) line? or what am i missing?
    6. what other skills / tricks do you have out there for a Starter warrior i dont need low lvl advice as im going to shoot for 105 in the next couple days, started today got to lvl 80 before servers crashed...
    7. What is it like geting groups? i like to be wanted for groups. i dont wanna have issues holding agro. i want to be decent dps for a tank. and most importantly i dont wanna be squishy at all... I Want to Feel like a strong tank.
    8. How hard is it to raid tank? I am a quick study so not worried about a learning curve
    9. and finally how hard is it to get into a raiding guild as a warrior? i have an extremely high play time as i have to go thou different surgery over the next couple months. Any advice would be great!
  2. Brohg Augur

I predict you will feel super gimpy warrioring after so long being a shadowknight.

Having a one-way hp pool is real as ****.

Warrior is a certain version of powerful, very powerful in a couple contexts that involve strong backup from other characters, but can't do anything without that hand-holding. Warriors absolute kings of having our hands held to cross the proverbial street. There are no get out of jail free cards to compare with the multiple SK feign deaths, nor god modes like Lich Sting + Visage of Death, nor simple utilities like snare and invis/ivu.
    gotwar likes this.
  3. o0shalka0o New Member

But mitigation wise, will i feel more like a tank? thats my main thing, i have a guild so i can get my hand held by classes. The utility is awesome from sk thats undenyable, but ill have my shaman or cleric for utility if needed
  4. gnomeboss Augur

1. shm box you get cheetah.
    2. you can't run out of endurance pulling constant mobs during a lesson burn. so there's that ...
    3. aggro will be cake. tanking won't suck.
    4. no.
    5. use a shield, insult, roar, roar v. 2.0 and stormstrike. that should cover you 90% of the time.
    6. flash of anger is OP.
    7. randoms don't invite you to groups to dps. be the tank that can tank multiples, doesn't go afk and isn't a giant max gear, max aa, max ego jerkface and you'll find groups. or just make your own. you're a tank.
    8. easy. you have to be willing to communicate and be part of a tank team that often has a lot of max gear, max aa and max ego jerkfaces.
    9. not as easy as if you were a paladin!
  5. o0shalka0o New Member

Nice thats awesome to hear, i like all your answers except number 9! lmao but i understand the reasoning =P anything warriors struggle with?
  6. Brohg Augur

... whoahey, shot's fired!
  7. Triconix Augur

As opposed to what? SK and warrior mitigation is almost dead even from a baseline. The only advantage warriors get over SKs in terms of mitigation is some of our activated abilities (Last Stand vs Unholy Guardian). Even then, SK are so close that it's almost not even noticeable until you get into heavy hitting raids.
  8. p2aa Augur

What is roar v 2.0 ? that has non sense because roar line of spells share the same timer. That's not working like terrors for SK. Secondly, if you use only insult, cyclone roar and stormstrike, I hope that you aren't grouped with good DPS, so that they don't overaggro you. It's missing the two best short time reuse warrior aggro tools, phantom aggressor and blast of anger. Also, stormstrike is an AE ability, that awake mezzed mobs if you have a mezzer.

Easy ? for a newcomer, it's not "easy" to raid tank. You need to have a good knowledge of your warrior tools. Also one of the best quality of a raid tank is his awareness and fast reaction time. Be ready to grab the raid boss when it comes active or when former war before you dies. Be ready to grab aggro on raids adds that turn to healers or DPS even if you aren't a primary add tank. There are max AA and max gear warriors, but that suck, bad aggro, bad survival, too slow reaction time. They are bad raid tanks.
    Willing to communicate is not enough.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

1. I use a clr, mainly because I had the clr available. Nowadays I have the clr because I've gotten pretty good at it and even if in theory the shm might be better I'd rather be good at the clr then half good at a shm.
    2. Endurance is not an issue.
    3. No problem
    4. Not generally assuming dps can follow assist. If they can't, you do have some longer term abilities to fix that but I find just letting them tank then having the mob turn back to you when they die is a far better answer in the long run.
    5+6. Way too much detail to go into at once.
    7. Any decent tank has no issues getting a group. Your grouping issues will be exactly the same as on your SK.
    8. Not any harder than on your SK.
    9. It varies but I would guess generally pretty rough. Warriors seem to retire far less frequently than other classes so the old good ones are still around. Probably because in the past it took a pretty decent level of stubbornness to get to the level of a raid tank. That's easier nowadays, but you're bumping against already filled spots.
  10. Kobrah Augur

9. Seems like some of the hardest spots to get into are any tank slots. Can see entire raid crew change except for tanks over time.

Edit. If you learn to play your beastlord to its max potential you can almost walk into any guild you like :D.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Mitigation is pretty close to equal. If your SK feels squishy your warrior will feel equally or more squishy (since there is far less you yourself can do about it, you really are chained at the hip to a healer)
  12. Coronay Augur

To chime in on mitigation, I believe warriors also don't get the hardest "roll" of a mobs attack. The maximum hit damage a mob will do will be higher against SK & Pal.

I box war/clr, and love it.
  13. Brohg Augur

Knight's Sedulity (pal/sk) is an exact clone of that class feature, Coronay
    Coronay likes this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

The first thing you'll likely notice is the much shorter range on Warrior agro abilities.

Word on the street is that all tanks are in a great place at the moment. Keep in mind this has NOT the case for Warriors for most of EQ's history, and I suspect the pendulum will swing back at some point in the near future.
  15. Coronay Augur

Ah thank you for the response Brohg! I had no idea.
  16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Always thought they should have named that ability Warrior's Incredulity :)
  17. Brohg Augur

That's clever :) Unlike some, though, I'm of the opinion that differences within an archetype should be built on top of core power, so evening that up didn't upset me. Plain ability to take a hit isn't a good way to slant one of the tanks. That the warrior class had nothing else going on for years and years was the actual problem.
  18. Fohpo Augur

If you play a warrior, you can always DPS if raid doesn't need tanks.
  19. Chaosflux Augur

The same can be said for all the tank classes.
  20. Fohpo Augur

Warriors really are significantly above knights with aDPS though.