Warrior Hotkeys

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Zaknaffein, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Zaknaffein Augur

I noticed a few threads here asking for advice on warrior's. This is just a Copy/Paste of a post I wrote a little while ago on the hotkeys I made and use on my setup and a very brief description for each key I have, original post is Here.

I don't go into too much detail for every situation you might find yourself in or all of the other tricks or nuance's of the class. Just a basic idea on hot key combinations. I would also use GINA, install it if you don't, and check out some of the triggers I have attached to the post on the link there. I may clean them up a little bit more and tinker around and add them to my dropbox along with my raid triggers if I get around to it. The /pauses you can also tinker with, just depends on your latency and if you feel like mashing multiple keys, or letting them all fire with one push but waiting a second or two.

This is for a level 100 Warrior ~

Most warriors these days can agree that the class, like most other classes, have an abundance of activated AA and discs we have at our disposal. Creating hot-keys to utilize all of our classes ability to the best is almost a must now more than ever, though some may still disagree and prefer to use each disc and activated AA on it's own key and while there are some abilities that warrant this the majority are better used in conjuncture with other abilities. There is no wrong or right way in how one plays the class for the most part, as a lot can be argued or left to interpretation on play styles and what works best and most efficiently in different circumstances. The hot-keys I have made from testing and research and from the advice from other warriors has made my play easier and more efficient. I always am interested in strategy and how other warriors arrange hot-keys and welcome feedback on ways to improve on what I have made.

The main keyboard #'s 1-12 are as follows:

1. Get it - This is the main agro one I use on every mob I tank. It is usually the first key I hit, unless I pop Flash of Anger or am the first tank in the lineup, then I'll use Fortitude and Unbroken attention before using this key.
    -This key is linked with another hot-bar page's key with Taunt, so the first thing that fires is taunt then the rest fires after.-
    Line 1: /pause 4, /alt activate 688 - Rage of the Forsaken
    Line 2: /pause 4, /disc Krondal's Roar Rk. III - Krondal's Roar
    Line 3: /pause 4, /disc Harassing Shout Rk. III - Harassing Shout
    Line 4: /pause 4, /disc Phantom Aggressor Rk. III - Phantom Aggressor
    Line 5: /pause 4, /disc Roar of Challenge Rk. II - Roar of Challenge

2. Self Buffs - This key is filled with self and group buffs. I use this after I have hit my "get it" key. Due to the short refresh on FG I will hit this often, unless I have just used Flash.
    Line 1: /pause 5, /disc No Time to Bleed Rk. III - No Time to Bleed
    Line 2: /pause 4, /alt activate 606 - Mark of the Mage Hunter
    Line 3: /pause 12, /disc Field Guardian Rk. III - Field Guardian
    Line 4: /pause 2, /disc Determined Reprisal Rk. III - Determined Reprisal
    Line 5: /timer 3000, /alt activate 2011 - Imperator's Command

3. Rawr - This is my mash key. I use this on every mob I am attacking, and frequently due to the nature of refresh timers on what I have in it.
    -This key is linked with another hot-bar page's key with Bash and then Kick, so the first thing that fires when I press this key is Bash if I have a shield equipped, if not then kick.-
    Line 1: /alt activate 691 - War Stomp
    Line 2: /alt activate 3732 - Gut Punch
    Line 3: /alt activate 801 - Knee Strike
    Line 4: /alt activate 15073 - Banestrike
    Line 5: /disc Shield Topple Rk. III - Shield Topple

4. Tank me - My defensive key. Used when tanking named or multiple mobs. Will usually hit this key while Flash is on.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /disc Last Stand Discipline Rk. III - Last Stand
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 130 - Resplendent Glory
    Line 3: /pause 2, /disc Warrior's Auspice Rk. III - Warrior's Auspice
    Line 4: /pause 2, /alt activate 967 - Blade Guardian
    Line 5: /timer 6300, /alt activate 7016 - Glyph of the Master

5. Def Down - Used when Defensive is down or when I need a little extra boost but need to save Defensive. Will pop this while Defensive is still running depending on the mob/situation.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 734 - Hold the Line
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 1402 - Third Spire of the Warlord
    Line 3: /pause 2, /alt activate 804 - Warlord's Bravery
    Line 4: /pause 2, /alt activate 1686 - Brace for Impact
    Line 5: /useitem 24 4 - Bloody Orc Signet

6. Agro Now - I use this key primarily on tank switches when I'm up after I pop Fortitude. Will use this as needed to establish more agro on events that mem blur or FD or on Burn fights.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 10367 - Ageless Enmity
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 3646 - Blast of Anger
    Line 4: /pause 2, /disc Ridicule Rk. II - Ridicule
    Line 4: /pause 2, /alt activate 131 - Rage of Rallos Zek
    Line 5: /timer 3600, /alt activate 912 - Warlord's Fury

7. Super DPS - This is my dps key when Intensity of the Resolute is up. I will hit this key first in my DPS weave. If Intensity is not up then I use my other order of DPS keys.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 7019 - Glyph of the Cataclysm
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 1401 - Second Spire of the Warlord
    Line 3: /pause 2, /alt activate 800 - Vehement Rage
    Line 4: /pause 2, /alt activate 487 - Intensity of the Resolute
    Line 5: /timer 144000, /disc Mighty Strike Discipline - Mighty Strike

8. DPS 1 - The first Key I use when Intensity is down when I go into dps mode, or the second Key I use when Intensity is up and after Mighty Strike is done.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 1401 - Second Spire of the Warlord
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 800 - Vehement Rage
    Line 3: /timer 9000, /disc Brutal Onslaught Discipline Rk. III - Brutal Onslaught
    Line 4: -Empty-
    Line 5: -Empty-

9. DPS 2 - The second key I use when Intensity is down after Brutal Onslaught is done.
    Line 1: /pause 5, /disc Fellstrike Discipline - Fellstrike
    Line 2: /timer 15000, /alt activate 2007 - Wars Sheol's Heroic Blade
    Line 3: -Empty-

10. AE Agro - I rarely use this key, only on occasions I need to get ae agro or on an event where Ageless is down and I need to get agro and there aren't mezzed mobs nearby.
    Line 1: /disc Wade In to Battle Rk. III - Wade in to Battle
    Line 2: /alt activate 132 - Enhanced Area Taunt
    Line 3: /alt activate 109 - Rampage
    Line 4: /disc Stormwheel Blades Rk. III - Stormwheel Blades
    Line 5: /alt activate 111 - War Cry

11: Endurance Now - Used when I need to fade from combat, or if I need a permanent invis. I also use this if I'm out of endurance and in combat to drop and hit rest. If tanking though and I hit this I need to make sure rest fired, then hit my "Agro Now" key.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /attack off
    Line 2: /pause 8, /alt activate 744 - Howl of the Warlord
    Line 3: /timer 1800, /disc Rest Rk. III - Rest

12. Heal - HP boost abilities along with some self heal abilities. Used when tanking named.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 300 - Warlord's Tenacity
    Line 2: /pause 2, /alt activate 911 - Warlord's Resurgence
    Line 3: /useitem 24 23 - Kreljnok's Sword of Eternal Power
    Line 4: /timer 12000, /potionbelt activate 4 - Alliance Elixir

* The next set of hot-keys I have are linked to the Num-pad #'s on my keyboard. The majority of these keys are Activated Abilities on their own separate from the macro keys I've made.

1. Tank Clickies - Used when Defensive and "Def down" key are down. Will also hit this while Defensive is still active depending on the circumstances. I use this key often outside of raids in xp groups. Armor of Runes will fire first, if that is on cooldown then Steadfast will fire.
    Line 1: /pause 2, /disc armor of stalwart runes rk. III Armor of Stalwart Runes
    Line 2: /disc Steadfast Defense Rk. III - Steadfast Defense
    Line 3: /pause 5, /useitem 17 - Supressed Etheric Legionnaire Breastplate
    Line 4: /pause 10, /useitem 24 5 - Gladiator's Plate Chestguard of War
    Line 5: /pause 10, /useitem 24 15 - Diplomatic Paper's

2. Enhanced Area Taunt - Good for getting agro on command if other abilities are down like Ageless and Unbroken, will sometimes use on mezzed mobs before I break.

3. Wade in to Battle - Used when I want to agro multiple mobs with out using mez-breaking abilities and when AE taunt is down.

4. Rawr 2 - This is a key that I hit once on the current target. If a mob is not snared and running at low life, I'll hit this again.
    Line 1: /useitem 24 22 - Staff of Viral Flux
    Line 2: /alt activate 552 - Call of Challenge
    Line 3: /alt activate 911 - Warlord's Resurgance
    Line 4: /disc throat jab rk. III - Throat Jab
    Line 5: /useitem 24 7 - Blood Drinker's Coating

5. Warlord's Grasp - Great for tagging pulls or moving a mob. Also I'll use this in groups or raids when/if I lose agro on trash mobs. I love this AA

6: Blast of Anger - Useful on it's own key to get a chunk of agro when needed.

7. Projection of Fury - Used if Phantom is down and I need agro. I use this rarely due to the nature of this pet and it's agro rules it uses. Closest person to mob gets agro with this active.

8. Unbroken Attention - Used When I am first in the tank rotation. This ability does not give you the actual hate generated by the previous tank so once it fades the mob will go back to that person unless you have generated more agro than the previous tank. I have died due to other tanks thinking this is enough to take over tanking on switches. Also useful if I do lose agro though, Pop this then hit my "agro" key or "get it" key.

9. Rest - On it's own for use after getting rezzed.

Offensive - I have this key Linked to G on the keyboard. used after "DPS 1" Key is done while Intensity is active, or when "DPS 2" is done if Intenisty is not up. Be sure you won't have to tank and use defensive ~
    Line 1: /pause 2, /alt activate 7019 - Glyph of the Cataclysm
    Line 2: /pause 5, /disc Offensive Discipline Rk. III - Offensive
    Line 3: /pause 5, /alt activate 2007 - Wars Sheol's Heroic Blade

* Stormwheel Blades, Fortitude and Flash of Anger I keep in the Combat Window as I use Ctl+the correlating # position in the combat window to use these, so Ctl+2 will fire Stormwheel, Ctl+3 will fire Fortitude and Ctl+4 Flash of Anger. I can rest my left hand on the keyboard and easily palm the Ctrl button and hit the #'s 2, 3, and 4. Stormwheel is a great way to get instant agro on mobs that have just spawned, or mobs that you might not be able to target easily to throw direct agro at it on incoming, you will get the mob on target once you hit it with stormwheel. Use common sense though with using this tactic.

* I went ahead and made three keys for the new Stance AA:

Tank:
    Line 1: /bandolier activate shield
    Line 2: /pause 5
    Line 3: /alt activate 687 - Defensive Proficiency
    Line 4: /timer 300

DPS:
    Line 1: /bandolier activate 2HB
    Line 3: /alt activate 685 - Two-Handed Proficiency
    Line 5 -Empty-

Dual Wield:
    Line 1: /bandolier activate Agro
    Line 3: /alt activate 686 - Dual-Wielding Proficiency

*Two keys I made for turning on/off Tribute.

Tribute On:
    Line 1: /tribute personal on
    Line 2: /trophy personal on
    Line 3: /tribute guild on
    Line 4: /trophy guild on
    Line 5: /g Tribute on! - This triggers a GINA trigger with a timer for me that will yell at me after a certain time frame to turn off tribute.

Tribute Off:
    Line 1: /tribute personal off
    Line 2: /trophy personal off
    Line 3: /tribute guild off
    Line 4: /trophy guild off
    Line 5: /g tribute off! - Triggers my GINA timer to turn off if it's still counting down

*Added some of my GTT I use for my warrior. A few are also useful for healers.
    *Added GINA triggers. Check the overalys on Other Warrior's as I set them to a different window.
    Carding likes this.
  2. Zentara Augur

Appreciate the post!

I use a lot of the same abilities as you do, but personally I would suggest you are limiting yourself by combining so many abilities in single macros which is basically a "fire anything that is up" mentality. Personally, I find it a lot more survivable to make on the spot decisions about which discs are needed for a particular fight, instead of using a "and the kitchen sink too" style--but that may just be me.

For example, your "Tank Me" disc is burning a *lot* of discs at once...Last Stand, Resplendent, Auspice, and a Glyph all at once. Personally, I save Resplendent for after Last Stand and then NTTB is down, allowing me to tank far longer against a named than "LS down, next tank go!" type of tanking.

Your "Self Buffs" macro is similar--by burning NTTB at the same frequency as Field Guardian (timers permitting), you aren't leaving yourself any room to use NTTB when it's actually needed...an overpull in a group situation, or your second/third phase of tanking discs on a named. Throwing Mark of the Mage Hunter into the same disc is burning a long recovery time disc that might be completely worthless in any one particular fight, but key in the very next.

All of those macros are actually fine overall if you so choose to use your discs that way, but the "Tank Clickies" one I think you might want to reconsider--you're burning all of your short duration mitigation boosting clickies at once--but they don't stack. Much better to string them out individually so that you can have that miti boost for a longer period of time.

I do like your "aggro now" sequence, although personally I don't use macros (I use multi-binds when appropriate)--to me they tend to not fire consistently enough with a low pause, and too slowly with a high enough pause to guarantee 100% fires.

All that being said, it's obvious you've put a *lot* of thought into this, and I've just glanced over it really--I'm definitely going to study this myself when I get a chance, because there are a lot of good ideas in there!
  3. Brohg Augur

More accurate to say that the closest person gets targeted, since they don't actually have agro. This is the same rule used when any pet is top of a mob's hate list. The difference you're experiencing from Phantom is due to when it makes its agro (all up front) before dumping it to you when the pet expires, contrasted with Phantom's method of adding agro to you over time. You can fix the proximity issue by Taunting yourself over the Projection as soon as it makes its agro.. Once you, a player, are top agro again, the mob will target normally, and the Projection will never re-pass you once you've leapfrogged. My habit is to use Ageless in conjunction with Projection for this purpose, but of course Enhanced AE Taunt works also - when it's safe to use. Using a Taunt in this fashion actually doubles the agro produced by Projection, since you get it up front with the leapfrog, then again when the pet expires and dumps its agro to you.

tl;dr? : Projection+Ageless is an entirely safe, enormous boost; a hard lock unless someone blurs the mob or Taunts off you.
  4. Zaknaffein Augur

The abilities I put with Last stand all stack, and add a bit extra to go along with Defensive there. Defensive is great by itself but you can still add in other useful abilities to increase survivability. Resplendent is on there pretty much so I can space out that and Hold the line since they won't stack. Everything is dependent on the fight, and if you are swapping tanks for Defensive. If you have < 4 warrior's on or in the rotation than you will have 1min and 30 seconds of time where none of the warrior's have defensive up while tanking. When this happens then I space out my keys. Usually will hit Defensive, then will hit my Defensive down key and nttb when Def drops, along with my tank clickies key.

If there are only two warrior's on the mob then I will space it out even more. Defensive first, then nttb and my tank clickies key. when nttb drops ill hit Def down key. and keep hitting tank clickies for Steedfast defense when my GINA trigger fires. I usually use Warlords tenacity with Defensive as well, but will save that for when nttb drops when there are only 2 warrior's there.

I don't always stick to that order either, it really is very fluid and situational on what I use and when, things like what healers are online/in my group to how the event is going.. if we are losing some people or are slow on dps and the event will get dragged out.

If we have an abundance of warrior's on and the fight is a fast one, I usually just throw the kitchen sink though and hit all my keys at the same time :p

NTTB I have a GINA trigger for it and I usually don't hesitate to use it or save it for the oh moments as 5min isn't too terribly long, that's what Flash/Fortitude and Defensive are for. Only times I won't pop it while tanking is for the when we are low on warrior's or spread out on multiple mobs and will be tanking for an extended period of time and need to extend my survivability. FG I have on it's own key as well and have naother GINA trigger for it, same for IC. If the group has 3 warrior's you can keep IC up at all times if you work with the other two warrior's in group. Mage hunter I don't worry too much about, it has a long timer on it so if you pop it during a mob that doesn't have any spell damage it will usually still be on you when there is a mob that does, but most mobs these days have some sort of spell damage so I don't worry about that one too often.

The only items in that key that don't stack are the Diplomatic papers and the Etheric BP clickies rune portions of those two items, everything else does. Still though a good find there and I'll swap the Diplomatic papers from that key with the Blood Drinker's coating Clicky from my "rawr2" key.

Thanks. Over 10 years playing the warrior here so that experience and talking shop along with researching each ability and disc, and this is the current outcome of it all. I am always looking for ways to improve myself and always welcome feedback.

I never thought to use Ageless or ae taunt with that. I pretty much never use it anymore because of how annoying it is. You can't move the mob and have to be standing on top of it and hope it doesn't have any kind of flux ability.

But if that works like you say, I can think of a few different ways off the top of my head to incorporate that into a new key.

One way is to use it for a tank swap. Assuming though that the current tank has built a substantial amount of agro then projection alone won't bridge that gap so you'll use either ageless or ae taunt first to gain that agro, then use projection to build agro after it, but then use whichever you didn't use first to take agro and be able to either move the mob or not worry about dps getting agro if you move too far away from the mob. Clear downside though to using this kind of method is you're using both of our 100% agro abilities. It would look like this:

/ageless
    /projection
    /ae taunt
    /blast of anger
    /rage of zek

The other way is just a simple way to build more agro (For when pet owners are bad and let their pet be top agro) and not worry about the downside to projection. I am hesitant to use Ageless or ae taunt though as I like to keep one always up in case hit the fan, but with ageless on a 6min refresh and probably getting faster it may not be too bad.

/projection
    /ageless
    /blast

I'll have to tinker with this some more in game and see how it plays out. Good find there :)
  5. Brohg Augur

Tank swapping is a simpler affair than all that. With attack off & Sneering Grin off, regular Taunt button will put you at 99% of tank's agro. Attack back on when you slip a % or two, but if you know you're next then no reason to ever be below 90%, and without expending any Endurance :) When it's your turn to jump in, they stop spamming their stuff and Projection (or, really, whatever) will totally work. A good time for Field+Flash for you, and the previous guy drops out & equips his 2h :p