Warrior DPS Burn

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Braveheart, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Ravengloome Augur

Ok Deuce

So say the bosses in Arx1/Arx2/Arx4, when the events go basically into a straight away, and there is only 1 mob being tanked by 1 tank. Do you cycle Your now Unneeded tanks out of the DZ and banner in DPS?

Or do they (your tanks) just twiddle their thumbs? Or do they try to DPS in an effort to do something mildly productive?

Just curious? Because i am sure you have more then 2 tanks in the DZ at the time. And anything more then 2 tanks on those bosses is overkill. What do you do with the unneeded tanks?
  2. Brohg Augur

y'all are 1000% missing the point. This thread is only about knowing how to do it when it's time to do it. Your "but I'm in the tank line I"m super important omg" is crap - you also don't warrior-dps-burn when you're in line at the grocery checkout. Wow, right? If the only thing you ever do in EQ is wait to get one-rounded by Calix Quirinus, then sure, you don't need to know how to warrior dps burn. In which case, maybe ... leave the thread alone. Just a thought.
    Phrovo1 and Ravengloome like this.
  3. p2aa Augur

The boss being alone and no more risk happening at the end of an event, when all risk is away ?
    So Praetor guy in Arx 1 and Purple Golem left alone in Arx 2 for example ? (I haven't started Arx 4)
    Who cares at this moment if your burn or not ? there is no risk of loosing to the event lol, if you think your 50 k dps at this time is going to change the issue of the event I lol (even for the timed event of Arx 1 where you have to kill all adds after Boss in a timely manner, pure dps class are enough to finish it)

You really think a warrior will not pass his trial cause he has done 25 k dps instead of 50 k during a 5 min timeframe from a 30 min raid total duration ? lol
  4. Ravengloome Augur

I would think it would be more a point of pride in doing everything you can to further the event, but apparently we do not agree.
  5. Phrovo1 Augur

Another argument for everyone who is not having to do their primary job doing dps is the more combined dps there is, the faster the event goes. The faster the event is, the sooner you can move to the next one. This trend thus leads to a more efficient night. If you can get away with dpsing, you should do it. Obviously you shouldn't do it if you are up on the tank order but there is no reason for you to not be able to dps if you are deep in. If a bunch of tanks die quickly, you have different problems.
  6. Kamea Augur

Good Starcraft players will purposefully hit unnecessary keys early in the game (ie selecting the same units over and over) to quicken their game speed and reactions up, so they aren't slammed with a dramatic pace change when the action comes.

Sitting there with your finger over your tag key ready to take over the second the guy before you dies for 5-10 minutes is a) boring and b) mentally disengages you from the gameplay. If you play passively in any game you slow your reaction time. (As an aside, I'd imagine if these anti-DPS tanks had a mouse with buttons on the side with their tags map to said buttons, they'd be more confident in their reaction time and wouldn't be posting in threads whining about warrior DPS.)

This argument duece and p2aa are pushing that DPSing somehow hurts your ability to backup tank isn't only wrong, but I'd argue being a passive backup tank is worse for your reaction time. Is this saying you should be reckless and blow offensive at every chance possible? no, but there is a middle ground between being passive and DPS-at-all costs that I believe is the ideal way to play. DW in particular is good because it's still double the DPS of S&B (non burn) while still stacking with FoA.
    Phrovo1 likes this.
  7. Zaknaffein Augur

I don't know about you guys and this whole two dimensional thing about tank and dps mode... there is only One mode:

WARZERKER.

I tank with my 2hander and 2h proficiency with offensive going. All Hstr augs and Thulisaur Power source.
    Mayfaire and Coronay like this.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

Conanaffein

I mean really is there any other way to tank then with a 2hander like a boss?
  9. p2aa Augur

Wonderful Phrovo, and can you tell me how much minutes you win per night with your 25 k dps, so that you can move to the next event ? A few sec won, wonderful the raid is moving way faster to next event.

Kamea, as for being on the ball on tank swap, not only will I be faster than a tank using 2H and 2H proficiency and that will need a few sec to swap back to 1H + board and changing proficiency , but i'm sure your healers must like to heal a warrior with his 2H in middle of the event (so no single boss) that takes wild rampage + AE to heal through this, well there is not enough work yet on the current MT...
  10. Ravengloome Augur

Max melee range bro.
  11. Nikkolus New Member

Normally I just sit here silently reading what the real tanks are saying and take a lot of notes. What I'm wondering is what is the best way to keep agro in a group setting with everyone on burn? I'm quite sure I'm not using them all correctly, thus probably making my own life difficult. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks
  12. Phrovo1 Augur

Okay p2aa, have fun knowing that the only difference you're going to make in the raid will be the short intervals in which you are tanking. As for the ramp/AE, do your shamans surge? Do they even know what surge is? Last I checked warrior auto attack is more dps than zerker auto attack (no spam or burns going) when the warrior has 2H proficiency. Also, remember how Kamea said DW Proficiency? I'm not too sure if the loss of block and dodge is worth the parry mod, but unlike S&B, it increases dps and it can stack with Last Stand so say that your warrior line is collapsing and it's your turn sooner than you thought. A warrior using S&B would drop it to use a disc, right? A tank using the 2 hander (complete negligence to allow ymthat to happen if you're next up) would not last long. How long would a duel wield tank last if that stuff happened? Also p2aa, since apparently all you do is sit idly and watch thing happen until it's your turn, when was the last time you enjoyed raids?
  13. Kamea Augur

Best aggro ability, by far, is phantom aggressor. However, it's mechanics are a bit quirky and takes some experimenting to learn to use to it's full potential.

For nameds in group settings, I'd use Warlord's Fury or Rage of the Forsaken + aggro discs + BoA asap, then wait 5-10 seconds to PA. PA seemingly cuts others' aggro in half if it's used early in fight, so you'll want to let everyone get a little aggro built up before using. If that still doesn't work you can try the Rage of the Forsaken + Rage of Rallos combo in addition to the other abilities.

Actually, the parry mod on DW is extremely important on raids. Since the parry mod on DW is positive instead of negative, you can use FOA with DW on. Since DW is 90% of the non-burn DPS of 2H, I use DW a lot when I'm a backup tank. While FoA is going you can make all the switches you need to make to tank the mob. Maybe p2aa and Duece don't use FoA.
  14. p2aa Augur

Ah being ready to step in if the brutal TDS raid boss wipe the 2 warriors before you in the line is considered "sitting idly and watch things happen", if this is unlikely to happen in your raids, then nice for you (Hello Arx 3 Principal Nomia for P2 and Undead Phase P3)

Yes i don't know what FoA is and that you need to use an invul disc before tank swapping...
  15. Nikkolus New Member

Awesome! Thanks Kamea! Gonna give it a go tonight!
  16. shiftie Augur

This is what makes me chuckle when I read threads like this. People are always wondering what sets guilds like Roi apart from everyone else. Glory tanking is great and all but when the raid calls for a burn it helps knowing how. If everyone not participating in a vital role steps up and outside of the box they have been pigeoened holed into things get rather interesting.
    sojero likes this.
  17. Kamea Augur

I think that's what p2aa and duece don't get. They're probably happy with chanters doing 0 DPS even on events without a single mezzable mob just in case the devs patch in some mezzable adds mid event and nuking would mess up global cool down. Heck if a cleric shows up on the parse at all they probably want them booted from guild, even if it's just pets or turn undead.
  18. p2aa Augur

Kamea, there is one thing you don't get : if the target is not a single target at the end of the raid with no risk to wipe, you waste healer resource trying to dps the Named and hitting the AE.
  19. Phrovo1 Augur

Do your shamans even surge bro?
  20. Dueceduece Lorekeeper

Post your awesome "DPS" parses on current raid targets so I can have a laugh please. Please try to maximize a burn this upcoming week on an event. We can compare it to several weeks of my past parses on the same event. My previous parses on the same event will demonstrate what I would consider tank duty, tanking name in defensive, off tanking adds, dpsing named while waiting on deck. I would be shocked if you did an additional 3k dps over the entire event and even did more that 1 million total dmg. Considering the regen on bosses, I would speculate that all the super duper dps burn you do doesn't over come the regen on the named and has almost no impact to how fast adds die. Normally you have a MA who directs the raid to kill adds 1 at a time meaning you probably didn't even save the raid 1 second with your dps. If your guild needs your 4-5 warriors burning each event to be able to clear TDS in one night then I am sorry. Does your warrior teams dps really speed up the night of raiding by more than 2 minutes? I would find that hard to believe.

I never said you shouldn't understand the in's and outs of your class and know how to best use your discs. What I am arguing is that IMO focusing on DPS is a waste of your time in the raid setting. That time would be better utilized perfecting other techniques or understanding what discs/abilities/clickies actually stack too gain the most out of your time.

If your dps is having an impact on raids then it might be more useful for you to beta buff a DPS toon on test so you can teach your DPS classes what to do on raids. Luckily the guild I am in clears TDS in one night while having warriors who don't know how to burn. But then again we have awesome dps who can make up for our slack .
    Repthor likes this.