Warrior Advice

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Boav, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Boav New Member

I have been leveling up a warrior, he just dinged 104 the other day.
    His gear is crap at this point, trying to come up with a plan for him – especially since warrior’s are so gear dependent.

Our group is Bard, Shaman, Mage, Mage, Warrior, and merc Cleric.
    The Warrior’s job will be to just hold agro and absorb damage.

I know that AC is the most important thing, but what Heroic stats should I concentrate on?
    I read somewhere that either high hDex or hAgi builds results in about the same effectiveness in tanking.
    Is that true?
    My feeling was to focus on hAgi.

Once he gets to 105, I am going to use all my remnants of tranquility to gear him in all TBM gear.
    I plan on using
    Resplendent Sulstone of the Sturdy
    for my type 9 augs, and
    Resplendent Sulstone of Swiftness
    for my type 5 augs.

I am going to get him a Honed Wurmslayer from Frontier Mountains and the CoA Bp, but is there any other specific gear that is a “must have” for a warrior?

I have been solely focused on leveling him, so all he has are the auto-granted AA’s. Is there a recommened order for getting AA’s?
  2. p2aa Augur

If your warrior is going to do group content only like it seems to be your case, HDex is better for you.
    HDex and HAgi are roughly equal in term of number of avoidance check they are doing.
    HDex improve your riposte and parry skills.
    HAgi improves your dodge skill and your miss rate.
    But HDex improves your DPS with the offensive side of HDex, while HAgi has 0 offensive side.
    You will kill group content faster by going HDex.
    Also, group mobs have lower HStrikethrough in group content, so your avoidances skills will be more useful in group content, while HAgi can give an advantage to dmg mitigation (once you have been hit) in raid content with raid mobs that ignore massively the avoidances checks.
    Use the type 5 HDex aug, and favor the AC with HP / HDex aug in your gear. In term of heroic order, I would go HDex > HSta > HAgi. No point in doing a mix of HDex / HAgi in group content, you need to go full to one stat so that you can be higher than the group mob HStriketrhough.
    HDex is the group geared tank king stat.
  3. High Voltage Augur

Won't help with your box crew, still hope you never again reference the healer merc as a Cleric.
  4. Boav New Member

5. Boav New Member

Got the warrior to 105, outfitted him in a full set of TBM T1 gear.
    Also got him the Honed Wurmslayer and the EOK T1 shield.

Here is his magelo:
    Toav

I am going to try and get him the EOK T1 hate mask
    Mask of Dust

and the CoA Breastplate.

Then I am going to work on AA and augments.

Is there any other gear from earlier expansions that is considered still useful?
    He has all his 101-105 tomes, and I picked up Phantom Aggressor from CoTF, are there any other 100 and under skills that he needs to get?

Any thoughts on how I should prioritize spending my AA's?

Thanks,

Boav
  6. S33k3r Augur

A couple of quick ways to boost your AC is to :-

Look at getting hold of some Tavon's Polished Gemstone and Tavon's Burnished Gemstone. These are 34ac augs that are cheap in the bazaar and you can have 2 of each.

Also look at earning some Marks of Valor from completing COTF HAs. This will allow you to buy a number of AC Augs as listed below :-
    https://cotf.eqresource.com/groupgearlvl95.php?class=war&type=augmentation&stat=ac&Submit=Submit
    https://cotf.eqresource.com/groupgearlvl90.php?class=war&type=augmentation&stat=ac&Submit=Submit
    https://cotf.eqresource.com/groupgearlvl85.php?class=war&type=augmentation&stat=ac&Submit=Submit
    Kubi likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

+1 vote for getting Deftness (Dex) augs instead. They are undeniably better for group warrior tanking. Many raid tanks use Agi, but RoTs are easy to re-farm (The EoK type5 augs are much harder). I would recommend getting a loaner from your group mates or buying them from the bazaar if you need them, it's a lot of RoTs to fully equip a fresh 105. None of your group mates are as gear dependent as you.

It seems silly for the tank to worry about doing damage, but once you hit your stride with AAs you will easily out DPS your mage buddies in dual wield mode while handily tanking everything, especially with a bard/shaman as ADPS.

For AAs: you might not get many good answers because most experienced warriors have been max AA's for a long time, so it's tough to remember all the critical ones. What I do when I choose AA order for a new box is list all the AAs that look useful, give them a priority from 1 to 10, then sort them. In terms of rough priority my suggestion is:
    1. Reduced Cooldown times for defensive abilities
    2. Increase passive AC (armor of wisdom etc)
    3. Increased passive health (natural durability etc)
    4. Increased in power for defensive abilities

Keep in mind the cost of AAs varies dramatically, EoK introduced new ranks and AAs that are extremely expensive. So you may want to get some cheap health boosts sooner, or only level up some AA ranks partially.

Because you've got a good group and good healing backup (Bard using Rytan's Reckless Renewal and Fjilnauk's Spiteful Lyric, Shaman keeping regen heals up + ferocious growth +Alliance casted on you + tigirs and turgur's slow on all mobs and using paralytic spray when possible), you should be able to start on EoK as soon as you go shopping at level 105. EoK not only has amazing gear, but gives much more experience than TBM. I recommend starting that immediately (starting with your wurmslayer) and checking out FM named mobs first. If you guys can take over the Bi'Faak camp you'll blow through AAs 5x as fast as doing TBM stuff.

Finally, take a peak at these two threads which I think are full of great info on 1: how to play a warrior, 2: how to get geared at 105.
    1. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/teach-me-how-to-warrior.237655/
    2. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/finally-moving-on-from-cotf.237553/
  8. DruidCT Augur

You can pick up 30AC augs for every slot doing the merc tasks in Feerott the Dream and the ground floors of house of thule. They were added to the tasks when Heroic toons came out and a lot of sites don't mention too much about them so you don't seem them listed in the rewards. But every task reward includes an aug for your class (and warrior ones all have 30AC). The tasks are pretty simple at 105, took a couple evenings of play to get them all.
  9. S33k3r Augur

I thought those 30AC augs were only rewarded to heroic toons ?
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Flash of Anger
    Last Stand
    Furious
    Fortitude
  11. Brohg Augur

Brutal Onslaught
  12. p2aa Augur

I'm adding to the ones already said :
    Mighty Strike Discipline
    Commanding Voice
    Champion's Aura
    Roar of Challenge
    Offensive Discipline
    Weapon Covenant
    Wade In to Battle
  13. p2aa Augur

You aren't grouped with high aggro DPS classes, so I would start with some survival AA. Will allow also to compensate for using a healer merc.
    The best survival AA which will have the best return for you are :

Best reward for not so costly AA Sturdiness : + 9 000 HP to win here asap nice investment

Then some passive mitigation AA
    Physical Enhancement
    Shield Block
    Combat Agility
    Combat Stability
    Hastened Flash of Anger : using accordingly flash of anger when the need arises can save your butt a lot of times, so having it refreshed the fastest possible is nice. I use it often as a tool to buy me time when my HP bar has went too low the time a heal land on me.

Then this active mitigation AA
    Brace for Impact (can be kept nearly all the time and nice % dmg reduction), click it when it's up.

Then AC / HP AA
    Armor of Wisdom
    Natural Durability
    General Sturdiness.

Then work your best aggro AA which will have again the best return for you :
    Bold Attack
    Infused by Rage
    Hastened Bazu Roar
    Hastened Scowl
    Blast of Anger
    Gut Punch
    Sneering Grin

And to end with this list finish Howl of the Warlord, nice utility AA.

These would be the priorities AA I would get in your case. After this, working on some DPS AA would be a good idea : favor the ones that add more hits per round or improve the dmg of your attack (like critical hits, crippling blows, increase dmg of your skills) or the chance to hit your target, over the increase proc ones.
    As a group tank it will allow you to kill more faster.
    Tucoh likes this.