Warrior ability stacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mistatk, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mistatk Augur

I was curious of any stacking info past the basics of 1 mitigation and 1 vie ability can be used at once and only strongest takes effect. A complete list of all SPA#'s was posted recently, but I don't understand how to read those into what stacks ingame. Also each ability says slot1, slot2, slot3 in its info. I don't know when/if 2 things that list the same "slot" can ever both take effect.

from another thread-- There's actually five (or more) types of reduction abilities. Not just two.

You have SpA 55, 162, 168, 197, 451 just off the top of my head.

from another thread-- Ironically it seems that most still do not understand how things stack or all of the abilities that they can use. I have no problem filling in blanks for people that need it, but as you said there are tons of threads on the topics, but since then, things have changed, obviously. I also know that most people don't know how to use the search functions if it doesn't say google, even then I am skeptical.

I suspect there isn't a lot to this, or any significant different way to stack discs/abilities, but since i see this mentioned time and time again in other threads, I will double check that I'm not missing something. I'm really only interested in things that would be significant to a warrior tanking a current raid boss, i.e. not stuff like mark of the mage hunter that can absorb 100k every 20min, when your expecting to tank 10mill 20mill amount of damage, trying to pick a time to click something that can only absorb a max of 100k and may not stack with ench rune? Doesn't seem useful. warlords bulwark, kind of neat only kicks in over 19k damage, but if that and other vie/runes are active i have no idea what will take precedence of what, and in the end of your 10-20mill to tank, its 90k max. If you could time these mini abilities to the moment your HP hit 1%, it may make them slightly more useful, but you can't always predict when things will go bad. Sorry if at times i use vie/rune incorrectly sometimes i'm not sure which is the correct term.

I know some other categories would be Hold the line/Resplendent Glory(ill call it increase incoming healing), and another 4th category would be Warlord Tenacity(I'll call it raise max hp) which Dichomatic Shielding also has a stackable aspect of. Mark of the mage hunter would be a 5th category(Rune vs spell damage DD and/or DoT?) which again dichomatic shielding has spell runes also(not sure those last 2 stack or not). A 6th category anguish BP click and Warlords bravery (ill call these lower skill hit damage taken).

Due to the nature of how the category (vie) works, always the highest % of this category will take effect, even if it can only absorb a set amount of damage. Because of how this works, you normaly need to decide if you are going to be getting hit for upwards of the (Max hit) that Pain doesn't hurt can absorb, or below, to decide if you want to use a vie with a flat % reduced, or also a max hp it can absorb. The game doesn't use the best one, only the highest percent that is active. Also in the case of some VIE, like Bracer for impact, the vie is also a defensive proc of the main buff, meaning you may or may not have it active at any given moment. (So in most situations you want want to make sure to have a secondary "always up" vie on also(only exception if it was being saved for a later time when you have nothing at all). I also don't know in the event you have a thresh hold rune active (only takes effect over a certain amount of damage) when that takes effect or if any of those can take effect in the same round a weaker vie takes effect. Those are Warlords Bulwark AA(thresh hold vie? or rune not sure) and Dichomatic shielding I believe has a thresh hold aspect also. Important to note, Warlords bulwark says it only absorbs a max of 91.6k hp damage, of hits over 19k, which is almost an insignificant amount. I'm speaking primarily of tanking hard raid bosses and the best things to stack, say expecting hits in the 30k-60k range. I want to list out what you would cast to max your chance to live in that situation. Also, although normally the abilities are concentrated around melee damage aspects, AE/DoT/DD damage becomes a pretty significant part of the total damage you take in some events. Sadly things like mark of the mage hunter really do very little to help.

I understand sometimes there are many tanks in the raid, and you want to use up everything you have and swap to the next tank to maximize safety, but other times your the only tank and want to stagger your abilities to some degree. I.E you start off with last stand, pain doesnt hurt, resplendent glory and warlords bravery. Now you can immediately add dichomatic to that because the max hp category does stack with tenacity, (not sure what other parts of Dich Shield would/wouldnt stack in that combo). You would do that if there is plenty of tanks and you plan to swap as soon as all your abilities are used. Also, last stand includes its own fairly decent rune proc, and i didn't list any category above as rune, i'm not sure what that rune proc stacks with, takes priority over, is blocked by, etc.

I would like to create something like this http://forums.eqfreelance.net/index.php?topic=3466.0 So, I would like to create a graph of each ability which would have a category designation (to the degree the stacking is known from the SPA/Slot/Coded priority, and provide what would be optimal in a TBM raid setting (not withstanding special circumstances like Withering Physicality). I understand some aspects are event specific, class in raid specific, and tank gear specific (a tank with less AC is going to take bigger/more hits and that may effect witch vie spell is best for them). So, all that aside I was hoping to make a fairly generic, best case scenario (or two) setup for tanking TBM raid bosses. I'm speaking specifically for a setup in a typical current/newest content raids.

If any experienced raid warrior, who is good with spreadsheets, and understands most of the stacking info can whip out a spreadsheet style visual list of what you would want to be running minute by minute into a fight sort of like the berserker one referenced above that would be great. Although all the knight posts detailing all the "mysterious" things warriors can stack that nobody understands how powerful it really is got me thinking about this. But I think it would be an excellent reference for starting out or returning warriors to be able to bookmark, or like me, someone who wants to double check they aren't wasting or not using any abilities.

Also if any have recent avg. hit data for warrior in newer raids, I would be curious to establish a rough benchmark of what you should expect to see for an avg. hit for each raid boss. If none make a spreadsheet at a later time, I cant figure out who to row/column the various stacking of spa's/slots so that say, Dich shield which has max hp/vie/DD rune/DoT rune would show that it does stack with warlords tenacity but does not? stack the vie component.
    Faana likes this.
  2. Makavien Augur

Last stand , pain doesn't hurt, dichotomic shielding , mark of the mage hunter and epic if the npc casts spells (then enchanter spell and dot rune when it fades ), Warlords tenacity , Blade guardian , Warrior bulwark , First spire , Third spire if no last stand up and no cleric 3rd spire , Bear and first spire from druids and Armor of the inquisitor and first spire from paladins reverse the order i listed druid and paladin in , Sk epic , Imperator's Charge for faster heals and taps for knights , Imperator's Command for more hp , Anguish Breastplate , Field outfitter , hold the line and resplendent glory I usually use resplendent first then hold, Armor of experience if you have it and if the npc can still spike you from 100 - 20 in one round , Silken Trillium , Blood Drinker's Coating , Guardian Circle , Diplomatic papers (for spells) , Enchanted Sugar Cake. Most of this stuff Stacks and there might be a few more things. I hit these starting out with Last Stand , Resplendant Glory then I watch my hp bar spike if it still goes from 100- to anything below 40 in one round I hit more stuff Starting with dichotomic and anguish Bp then tenacity then blade guardian then first spire . 3 Warriors in group rotate charge or command.
  3. Triconix Augur

TLDR but it seems you want the abilities that warriors can stack, yes? Ok, here it goes:

SpA 162 - The most common type of reduction ability. It's absorb melee damage that mitigates both DB in the Total Damage = DB + DI(1-20) calculation. The abilities that fall under this that a warrior has at his arsenal are:

Pain Doesn't Hurt(100% for up to 4708 damage per hit),
    Brace for Impact (16% for a total of 150,000 damage)
    Diplomatic Papers (25% for 5k max and 50k total)
    Clerics will normally keep up Shining Bastion (10%)

SpA 168 - The bread and butter of tanks. It only affects the DI portion of damage in the Total Damage = DB + DI(1-20) calculation. It contains two things:
    Last Stand - 45% mitigation
    Defensive Proficiency - 30% mitigation

SpA 197 - Damage Skill % Reduction. From what I know, knights don't get these types of abilities.
    Guardian's Bravery (-15%) found on CoA Bp
    Warlord's Bravery (-14%)

SpA 451 - Threshold runes. Warriors recently acquired these types of abilities.
    Warrior's Bulwark (80% on hits 19,000 or more for a total of 105938)
    Dichotomic Shielding (40% on hits 11,000 or more for a total of 638500)

SpA 55 - General runes. Warriors can only get these from procs and enchanters.
    EDIT: Warriors do get Armor of Darkened Runes, but I never use this ability so I completely forgot about it.

Warlord's Tenacity and Dichotomic Shielding do stack. Tenacity is a set amount while Dichotomic is percentage based. Both are on different SpAs. Tenacity is 69 while Dichotomic is 214.

Resplendent Glory V and Hold the Line both stack even though they both increase healing on us. This is done by using two different SpAs (120 for HTL and 393 for RGV).

Never use First Spire if Brace for Impact is up as it will get stripped. Also, if the enchanters have MC (mental contortion) on, first spire is only a 5% increase over that plus you have to get it to proc/land. Third spire is better, although the benefit is minimal because you only get 103 ac or so. Also, Cleric third and ours don't stack so you'll have to wait to use it.

Unlike dps, tanking is an action reaction game. There is no set way to do things and there are too many variables in any given fight. Healing, bad RNGs for hit spikes, debuffs, etc. The best thing you can do is know what stacks so when you need to use something else, you're not taking away anything or not maximizing what you have left.

Generally, warriors will use LS + PDH to start and then we work from there. I try to flip my style as a fight progresses. What does this mean? I go from mitigation to max hp/absorb back to mitigation. Once my mitigation stuff starts running low, I want to pump myself with as much hp as I can get. That gives me time for some mitigation abilities to come back then I revert to that.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  4. Mistatk Augur

Thanks, already gaining some insights.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Also, if you use the Lucy website, it will show what doesn't stack with any spell/effect you want to check.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/

Tat
  6. mackal Augur

That's not 100%
  7. Arcainos Augur

Would love to see this when you're done. Great idea.
  8. Vdidar Augur

What all do you guys use to build aggro without taking it?
  9. mackal Augur

There is a threshold to cause a mob to turn. You could taunt to get to the top and not take aggro. Not sure how this works with the recent taunt changes though ...
  10. Vdidar Augur

Im not well versed in the warrior class so I'm trying to learn all things warrior.
  11. Faana Augur

Warrior has to be the most complex and unforgiving class to play these days!
  12. Brohg Augur

It doesn't. Raid tanking was made much harder by this change.