War/Nec/...?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Firsttimeposter, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Firsttimeposter New Member

I recently returned and got my war/nec duo to 111 so far. I am playing super casual with about 3-4 hours/week (sometimes with a wiz friend) and looking for a 3rd char to maybe be able to box some missions in tov (maybe at 115?) or at least camp some named. I was thinking of adding a shaman or is there any better choice? What would be your choice? Should I add a 4th char and what would that be?
  2. forbes77 Elder

shammy or beast imo would work.
  3. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Personally I would add either a bard or a druid. Track is a must have for me. Both have track, both will bring really great synergy to your group. Bard will have the best pulling tools, while Druid will bring heals and ports. Can't go wrong with either.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Bard would provide the most utility and boost to both your necro and warrior.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  5. Firsttimeposter New Member

Thanks for the replies! Will a bard be easy to alt tab box or will I have to play him as my main?
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

Bard will greatly improve combat performance (adps and debuffs) while druid will minimally improve out of combat quality of life with ports.

If you add a 4th character, then a mage would be great. Mage pets make easy stand ins if you tank goes down and easy to manage off tanks, since mage pets are like a dumb merc. Also mage CoH is awesome, as you can run a single character rather than using follow.

I box MAG, ENC, CLR. I main ENC and added the cleric to always have a group with a tank friend. I recently started adding the mage since my off-hour play time went up I use my mage as the MT. I love CoH but I hate not having track. I leveled a FTP bard and druid, but they can't get past RoS. The 3 main chars have ToV. I am very happy with the combo, but if I did it again, I would do druid instead of cleric, for track, snare and ports.
  7. Tucoh Augur

To get maximum performance out of your team, without any assistance from inner space boxer or macro quest, you'll probably spend most of your time on your bard while pulling, your warrior at the start of the fight and your necro through the bulk of the fight. The bard will provide most of their contribution from melody and popping a few abilities at the start of the fight (quicktime, fierce eye, epic)
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  8. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Bard is probably THE easiest class to box because they have almost no buttons to press during the majority of combat fights. Basically /assist and hit a few cooldowns each mob. To add on to what Tucoh said, another instance you might want to switch to your bard to is for crowd control, I always keep my AoE mezz memmed in case of emergency. Can really help you survive a bad pull or unexpected adds. Even with a bard pulling a lot of quests like to throw random spawns on you during quest updates you may not be expecting.
  9. Firsttimeposter New Member

Ok, bard is set, thank ya'll. Would it make any sense to add a shm as a 4th? I don't really like the healer mercs and have been thinking abeout adding a healer (maybe even a clr) to depend less on the mercs. Is it even possible to box a clr in this setup without the use of a certain program?
  10. Eggolas Augur

Adding a shaman to a Warrior and bard may make the necro superfluous. A great deal can be accomplished with bard/shaman/Warrior. YMMV.
  11. Tucoh Augur

You'll already be hard pressed to properly utilize your necro in a three box. Adding more would increase your dps and start to make it harder to get a good round of dots on the mob
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

One tip if you do decide to heal is to heal from the Xtar. On my cleric, I set her Xtar to match my group window. So the person in slot 2 on my group is in slot 2 on her Xtar. If you are boxing with 2 PC, you never have to look at the healer. 2 on my healer heals the 2nd person in my group, so I don't have to look at her screen to get the job done.

This can be a hassle if you are constantly changing out mercs or players, but when setup right it makes it easier. Pets make things a bit less clean, but I just set pets in my xtar in the same order I put them in her xtar.

With all of that said, I don't think adding a shaman is not really going to improve your quality of life. Cleric mercs do well, and right now, rogue mercs are working properly. I'd slow with the bard, run 1 cleric merc and 2 rogue mercs, and on named switch out a rogue for a second cleric. SHM buffs/debuffs are nice though.

Personally I have very much enjoyed having a FTP druid around for the ports and succor, and having a mage to CoH your group is an amazing quality of life improvement.
  13. ShadowMan Augur

I love my necro but if you are going to 3 box I would drop the necro and run bard/war/shm. Necros just do not work well with boxing your getting pennies on the dollar for no real reason.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. Firsttimeposter New Member

Yeah I thought as much. Cleric will probably be too much of a hassle. I know that the necro isn't really needed anymore once I run war/bard/shm but I love him too much :)
    Thank you all for your inputs!
    MasterMagnus likes this.