Wanting to start a monk on new TLP, but don't know how to pull

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Babayetu0101, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Risiko Augur

The best way to learn how to be a good puller as a monk is to just get in the game and practice. It's a really fun class to play, and the puller role is a lot less boring then some roles lol.

A few things to know (probably mentioned above, but didn't read through it all):
    1. FD does not guarantee to drop agro from all mobs. If you are pulling a lot of mobs, and you FD to allow your tank to pull one off to the group, don't just assume that when the others path back, you can get up and run back to the group. Some of those mobs may still have agro on you and come running back (with friends) to the group.
    2. There is an emote that will clue you in to the fact that your FD failed. I believe it is "yourname has fallen to the ground". Figure out the exact wording, and create an audio trigger for it. That will let you know immediately if you failed FD.
    3. Any caster mob that is casting before or as you are hitting FD will continue to cast on you. As soon as their cast lands on you, you are no longer FD, and everything else will continue to beat on you. Sometimes it's best to wait for the nuke to land, and then immediately hit FD.
    4. Keep an eye on your healer and crowd controller's mana. If they are getting low, don't run off to pull more mobs. Obvious, but I have seen some pullers that are just too focused on pulling to pay attention.
    5. When you bring mobs back to the group, don't FD immediately. Let the mobs hit you while your enchanter/bard work on locking them down. If you FD immediately, a lot of times the mobs go straight to and kill them.
    6. After your tank has agro on the mob, FD to dump any agro you may have on the mob. That will help keep the mob from ping ponging between you and the tank.
    7. Feel free to train your raid force. That's your job.
    8. Magic resist is Godly.
    9. Expect to die on occasion. It happens. Sometimes it happens a lot.
    10. Expect to show up at every monk epic piece drop location to find another monk already there farming that piece. Monk is one of the highly played classes on TLP, and so expect really high competition for obtaining your epic. Don't give up. The monk epic is a game changer.
    Poledo_EQ likes this.
  2. Ethereal Augur

It all depends on the situation, but in raids, bards are more ideal pullers most of the time, even without fade. They move faster. I pull all the time on our raids as a monk but mostly because we just train ourselves.

I will say in my experience, it's easier for a monk typically to sit there for a bit and take a hit rather than a bard, because FDing or fading a train of mobs in your raid gets healers killed. On the TLPs, at every level of play, you should be able to take a hit or 2 from almost any mob before tanks can grab them (although, your tanks really should be picking them up off you on incoming, so you are free to go grab even more mobs).

We use bards as much as we can because as others have said, they do less damage, can move quickly, and are usually back in the raid to refresh songs without too much delay.

No matter the situation though, it's always about PACE. Keep mobs in camp/raid.

If you got 4 SKs, 3 Paladins, and 4 warriors, why are you only bringing 1 mob? TRAIN THAT RAID BOYYYY

This is slightly offtopic, but more so to illustrate the point, Enchanters should be bored because all those mobs should be getting offtanked and AOEed down, and another train of mobs coming right after that. Keep that grinder grinding. Enchanters are there for OH@#$%^ situations. Other than that, like 99% of the time you'll be training your raid, AOEing it down, and repeating the process.

As for grouping, again, as others have said, who cares, anyone can pull. The situation Bobbybick described is pretty typical, actually.

This isn't 1999-2001. Waiting for you to split 2 mobs for a minute or so is a waste of time, just bring them in, kill the !@#$ and move on.
    Denubius and Kattria Minx like this.
  3. Poledo_EQ Elder

In 99' cc was the key along with splitting pulls and getting singles. No one plays that way anymore. I mean we still CC, but that's why you can pull 4-5 mobs and have the ench CC or someone root or whatever. Unless you pull a massive train your group is going to wipe up the mobs and you'll be out pulling more while they're killing the last ones you brought in.

Now this could mean you will be pulling as a monk, or it could be the ranger, or the warrior, or the enchanter - ench are the best pullers IMO. Or as mentioned above the wizard! So in short, if you are asked to pull, start with a couple mobs, see how the group handles it. Then go from there.

If for some reason you are in a guild that wants you to raid pull, I'm sure there are 20 people that will be there to work with you on that.

Bottom line or TLDR, don't stress it. Leveling and pulling is anybodies job these days, and you can worry about raids if you ever need to, and there will be guildies to assist.
    Treeluvr likes this.
  4. snailish Augur

When I leveled my rogue on Phinny from 1-60 my role in pick up groups was often puller.

In group content, being situationally aware and learning the zone(s) is more important. Some places you won't want to pull without some mezzing, or rooting, or lull depending on the power of your group. Most groups are going to want multiple mobs on each pull.

Oftentimes it isn't even class balance in the group, just power. My rogue got groups early (level wise) in Grieg's End because I was willing to pull.

Bind as close to the zone as you can. Have sow pots and stacks of something you can throw (if not a bow & arrow class or caster with a fast cast low mana spell for pulling). Communicate with your group.

In the group game, necromancers make amazing pullers. You don't see it as often as we actually should, but especially in classic the necro toolkit allows them to cc, kite, shed aggro, park and burn down mobs even when the group needs a break or is half afk. With the way damage rolls out in regular grouping on progression servers monks should be one of the last volunteers made to pull (barring a really weak/underpowered group that just has to have the safety net of feigning death on pulls).
  5. Lumiens Augur

For contested areas Rangers seem pretty godly for pulling to me since they can lock aggro in so hard or everything on their pulls.
  6. taliefer Augur

i found monks to be overrated for group pulling during classic. i much prefered pulling on my necro on lockjaw or my paladin on agnarr during classic than i did with my monk on phinny. many classes just have more tools for pulling.
  7. Kattria Minx Augur

In the early levels of the game, I found that SKs would do the most pulling. In fact, in one of my regular groups, the SK is the puller (SK, enchanter, cleric, rogue).

But really, it doesn't matter who pulls. Some groups the shaman wants to pull; others the chanter is all about the pulling; and then again, sometimes wizards are on the pulling job. And yeah, sometimes the cleric likes to pull.

Chanters like to pull because they get AE mez. Shaman/Wizards like to pull with their "ghetto" CC (Root). Knights (SK/PAL) have really good aggro control when there's more than 1 incoming.

The decision on who is pulling is usually ad hoc in PUGs.

In raids we have bards and monks.

So yeah, practice pulling for sure! You never know what the group will need on that factor.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  8. Gremin Augur

Just play the class and have fun doing it while learning.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Forged throwing axe should work pretty well. It has half the range (125 vs. 250) but you don't need 250 range. It also has a trivial of 56 smithing.
  10. Snorl Lorekeeper

There is a big reason why monks and SKs in particular are better pullers than others in places like lguk. The mobs there root proc if they touch you and cast and you can pick up trains from other peoples pulls, stuff like that happens. Monks and SKs can FD off those bad pulls or roots and live to keep pulling where anyone else would die and need to be rezzed slowing things down.
  11. Mwapo Augur

Necros can FD *AND* lull, root, and mez!
    snailish likes this.
  12. Ethereal Augur

13. Accipiter Old Timer

14. Ethereal Augur

Is 162 high? I seem to recall having a constant supply of them in my parcel from tradeskillers until dragon force unlocked. *shrug*
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

For a new server? I would think it would be quite a while before anyone gets 162 fletching. It's not that it's not doable but why would you? Fletchers, you can correct me.
  16. Kahna Augur

Fletching is stupid easy, cheap and all storebought from a single vendor. It would take maybe 200pp and an hour of your time to get to dart making skill.