Wanting to Return, but a Few Questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Windchaser, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Windchaser New Member

Is the combat still auto attack heavy or did classes get more buttons or skills to mash?
  2. Herf Augur

It's still 1 button to initiate melee attack. There can be one more for bash/slam, and for classes like monks there are yet more buttons for various kicks and such. But it's never going to be a twitch/shooter game.
  3. Windchaser New Member

Nice. Was just curious as the last time I played there weren't many skills or attacks you used unless you were a hybrid. Wasn't sure if they had given classes more skills like something along the lines of EQ2.
  4. Fredescu Augur

All classes have a tonne of buttons to mash now. It's not always constant mashing, but if you're just auto attacking, you're probably leaving at least half of your DPS on the table.
    Herf likes this.
  5. Windchaser New Member

Nice! Thanks. I don't like mashing or twitchy but it is nice to have skills to use.
  6. Windchaser New Member

Now I feel really dumb and something I totally forgot about. I just joined up with some folks to kill the Overlord in the tutorial but could not understand anything they were saying. How can you learn the other languages?
  7. Herf Augur

You must have been on what, the FV server?

To learn languages in game, you need to group with others who speak the language. They make a hot key that speaks several sentences. You do the same in your languge. Then you just mash those buttons until each of you starts learning the others language. Eventually the gibberish will become English words. In this way people trade and collect languages.
  8. Windchaser New Member

Yeah, I've been messing around in the tutorial on FV. Is that the only server this happens on now a days?
  9. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Which classes are these? The few I have recently tried did not have that at low levels unless you are speaking mid to end level of play. I know larger races get to Slam to start and of course eventually you will get Back Stab as a rogue, etc.
  10. Fredescu Augur

All of them eventually. I couldn't say which level it happens for everyone, but for example when you get a heroic character (85) for a class you're not familiar with, it can take hours of reading to figure out the use and importance of all the hotkeys. For every class. This also applies if you're leveling normally with auto-grant turned on. The amount of AA spam you get with each level makes it easy to miss when you've unlocked a key (maybe class defining) ability.

It's why a lot of people play on TLPs. To have that simplicity. To me, it's just part of the charm of an old game that is still in active development.