Want a real raid idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reval, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Zarakii Augur

Just let us team up with all the former gods we beat years ago let them give us the power to fight and kill veeshan in space and call it good. i honestly couldnt think of a better ending to this epic game
  2. Inke New Member

I'd like to see a raid that changes each time you do it. Where Boss has a variety of different abilities that trigger randomly. For instance when Boss hits 75% he can either spawn a wave of adds, cast an new AE, Memblur, or spawn a 2nd boss. Then at 50% he has a chance to do any of those thing plus something else. Again at 25%. This all on top of a raid's worth of things happening. It'd be nice to be surprised after you've beat something. To be ready for multiple scenarios would both increase the replayability, but also make it harder to beat initially. I know my example isn't really challenging, but the idea of having raids that weren't exactly the same each week I think would make farming much more fun.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  3. Zarakii Augur

omg random mem blur..... sounds fun!
  4. Karthos Augur

Great idea, OP. I was thinking the same thing while watching the twitch stream for the expansion. It seems like Daybreak is wasting an opportunity to get this game out there by not hosting some kind of guild competitions/events there.

They could start with something simple like fastest Arx clears with fewest deaths or some other metric and over time perhaps make these more complex with GM's creating random events that guilds will have to learn on the fly. Guild vs Guild in real time broadcast on twitch seems like it would be awesome.

Another great thing about doing this is that would counter Elidroth's statement during the live stream about not caring about fairness when it comes to our current EQ guild rankings.

Let's get this game out there.
  5. Crystilla Augur

Just to be clear - Elidroth's comment about not caring about 'fairness' had specifically to do with the reason beta exists. To TEST content. Beta for raid testing isn't about giving everyone the same shots; it's about using the time alloted to beta the most efficient possible with the most reliable people.
    Elricvonclief, Fanra, Tarvas and 2 others like this.
  6. Karthos Augur

Yes, I know that. I'm not saying his stance is wrong but based on that comment it's what we have right now. That means there is no fair metric to measure guild rankings and that kind of thing is important to many people.

Putting guild competitions on twitch would accomplish two things. Advertisement and fairness in rankings.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Agree to an extent, however, for example, TDS beta did allow anyone to participate if they wanted and the 1st raid (at least that one, no clue if more) allowed anyone to test the raid if they so choose. And that's about as fair as you can get or have ever gotten since EQ was formed.

I guess ever since there have been 'beta's' where raids were tested, there hasn't been a truly fair metric - so I'm not too sure why it's an issue when it's existed all along.
  8. Iila Augur

There was also an NPC to clear raid lockouts, so anyone wanting to get enough keys to see all the raids through arx5 in beta was only being prevented from doing so by the effort of condensing a month of raiding into a couple days.
    Elricvonclief, Silv and Ronak like this.
  9. Silv Augur

Really? You think that many people care about 'raid ranking' anymore? The top ~15 guilds have been almost exactly the same going back at least 3 expansions (and probably more, I didn't care to spend more time on it). Most of those guilds weren't even beta testing so this whole 'it's not fair' doesn't really hold water.

If rank is super important on where you decide to join there is a pretty clear precedent which most likely won't be changing anytime soon.

You mean the only unfair advantage was that some guilds weren't as lazy as others?! Crazy talk!
  10. Cicelee Augur

Guilds very much do care about their server wide ranking. There is a lot of competition at the high end, and bragging rights are at stake. Although me personally, I don't see a difference between Guild A that defeats event one at 7:44pm EST and Guild B that wins at 8:01pm EST on launch day. Especially if both guilds took same amount of attempts to win. I am more concerned on the days that events are won, not the time and day. But that is just me...

As far as raid events go, it would be fun to have more open ended scripting in events than a defined linear script. Once a strategy for a raid event has been developed, it is just repeated ad nauseum. Having raid events be given options on which direction to go keeps the raid on their toes and makes it more fresh. Do not know if that is even possible with coding and such but it is a thought
  11. Karthos Augur

That's not even close to the truth. The guild rankings change all the time. Take your guild for example. You guys went from 6th in RoF to 27th in CoTF to 13th in TDS. How is that remotely staying the same?
  12. Rafather Augur

A PvP raid would last a month at best when one guild owns all the others over and over again so nobody shows up. Just look at a game like World of Tanks and their clan wars, the global map was stagnant with top clans sitting on land farming all the gold.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

I like the idea of random abilities.
    But not that one.
    Or slow/silence.
    Or spell casting slow mixed with DT's.
    Or big DS on mobs.
    My friends complain about fire resist too.
    Banish isn't fun either.

But pretty much anything but those.
    Mintalie and Silv like this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Thank you for your advice, as well as some other advice I have been given.

I will discuss these issues with our raid leaders. We might be able to improve things.

Some things, we can't really improve. Some guilds just have a lot more DPS because they have more berserkers and other classes we don't have. I'm not sure that the game should be designed that you just can't do most of the raids in an expansion without having the perfect raid combination.

Frankly, I don't know how these things work, I just show up and heal people on raids, I let others figure it out. But the word from my guildmates is that these raids are tuned around guilds that have recruited the classes, or forced members to switch classes, to make up raids with DPS we can't match whatever we do.

You can say that we need to go recruit or force people to change if we want to win. We have recruitment open but there are slim pickings out there. Forcing a bunch of people to make a new toons of a different class just so we have a chance at these raids doesn't seem to me to be how the game should be.
  15. Iila Augur

Unless all of your current DPS is already playing at the top of their game, and you're somehow losing events because your guild dps for an event is only 2.5m instead of 2.9m, there's plenty of other reasons your dps sucks besides lacking "optimal" classes.

Protip: This is part of the same BS that's been going around about uberguilds since guilds started slaying Vox. It's never been true.
    Mintalie, Tour, Silv and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mintalie Augur

How many guilds are stuck at Arx 1?
  17. Crystilla Augur

Min, in terms of only having beaten Arx 1, you can add us to the list. Although we're in a different situation from Fanra's guild as we just got our 4th win on Arx1 (but haven't been able to get the 1 off down during the 5+ weeks it took us to get this).

I definitely don't say the raids are too hard and that's the blocker; for us it's definitely internal (aka member) issues.
  18. Triconix Augur

The coding for EQ would never make this possible, but dynamic raids would be the way to go. Raids that changed, manipulated and had some sort of AI allowing encounters to change strategies either on a weekly basis (based on your previous encounter and how you attempted/beat it) or live using a multitude of metrics - positioning, classes in raid, weaknesses or strengths of raids, etc.

Now that would be really interesting. It would be a whole new level of strategic play because you wouldn't be able to rely on past experiences, strategies, formations, etc.
  19. Tevik Augur

Wouldn't this work though? I know it's not within a single encounter exactly, but Heroic Adventures have alternate steps along the way. What's to stop you from creating a raid where there are "steps" that are triggered at varying points along the way, with a list of say 3-5 potential changes for each step? Sure it's not an AI, but it would allow some variance from week to week.

Though part of me thinks this is a terrible idea, since you can't plan on which fights you're capable of on a given night due to attendance fluctuations.
  20. Repthor Augur

even flexible(some mecanic changes) raids whouldent matter to much, unless they fully change the event fundamentaly. once you ran thru the event and seen all the varibles. You set up your strat in such a way that you expect any and all of them and just embrace the chaos with as little risk as possible. casting melee/spell slow this week. and memblur next week. it still just means when u do it you expect both and set up your raid in a way as if the event had both at any and all times and if they dont its just a bonus

kinda like going in to an event the very first time as a tank you dont wonder if theres gonna be adds, you go in and expect adds if there non then its a weird suprise
  21. Dre. Altoholic

Already existing which could be leveraged - abilities with random chance to proc other abilities. E.G. Havoc spells. Surprise every X seconds.