Want a real raid idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reval, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Reval Augur

A lot of these raids get boring. It's because they're predictable. They're easy once you've developed a strategy that works, and then it's just signing the papers every week for these people.

Make a raid that's fun. Make a raid with a ranking system, where once you zone into the instance, with whatever number of people you have, the goal is to fight another raid group. To the death. You can't zone back in after you leave, and as soon as a raid is eliminated from the zone, the other raid is declared the winner. Winner takes the chest. This will never get boring. It will keep people thinking every week on how to improve their chances, and how to win. I bet even 10 years from now people would still do this same raid if you updated the loot. Many would keep doing it even if you didn't.

Sounds good to me.
    Westo likes this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

umm Pvp ? isnt there a server for that already
  3. Reval Augur

Well, the fact is, same raid every week = boring after a while. You need a way to mix things up a little bit. Otherwise it's just boring after a while. Any other suggestions?
  4. Igniz Augur

I'll tell you a secret: same PvP every week = boring after a while also ;-) If you don't believe me, try Forsaken World :)

Or ask the Zek Server Population, which is trying to eliminate PvP from their Raidgame for YEARS due to people not being able to use all their tools.

Auntie Edith remebers some PvP raids in WoW as well
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

The answer is more raids. Not bring pvp into raids. If you want pvp, there is a server for that.
  6. Reval Augur

I hope your server lag gets fixed on AB. I really do. But your points on this thread aren't reasonable.
    -pvp vs different people is very exciting. People are still pvping on zek constantly. Why would it be the same every week when you might fight a totally different raid force the next time you do it?
    -The Zek server population's pvp issue doesn't deal with pvp not being exciting or fun. It deals with not being able to use their abilities as you said IN YOUR POST! So it's not really detracting from that pvp can be fun. It's ultimately the biggest puzzle in the game. I'm sorry if you've been denied the challenge, and I think this is a pretty clean way to package it.
  7. Reval Augur

If you guys think pvp isn't the answer, then as far as the issue of the same raids becoming stale or boring, how do you fix that? I think it's a good thing to think about. A lot of mechanics to do that can become really annoying, but if there was a fun mechanic for it, that'd be fantastic.
  8. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

9. Reval Augur

That. Was. Fantastic! We're gonna need you to make another post.

Maybe even if it's not a random mechanic, it can be fun, like if we fall out of an airship, and then orbit around the world to the moon, and there's a... super whale...

Mechanics that put a lot of stress on a single person can end up being no fun if it falls on the wrong person and you lose a raid, so I'd guess those are out. I can see how pvp might be too stressful for a lot of people, I'm fine with that not being in it. I was a bit drunk. But there's got to be something that would be fun for everyone!
    frankie78227 likes this.
  10. Kobrah Augur

Join a mid tier guild who doesn't steamroll raids and bores you? There's satisfaction in winning raids through struggle vs jumping onto an already winning raid crew.
    Havanap, Kiillz, Bamkan and 1 other person like this.
  11. Makavien Augur

Sorry I would play wow if I wanted to do pvp its actually somewhat balanced there.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

They did that on purpose because if they weren't easy once you learned the mechanics there would only be about 3-5 guilds that would be able to beat them, the rest wouldn't stand a chance.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Leex like this.
  13. Leex Pewpewer

Exactly, and we already have enough of the mid tier and lower tier guilds saying that the current raids are to hard.
    Kiillz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What's really sad is that all o fthe mid tier and lower guilds are pretty much on the same expansion as the high tier guilds. I kind of miss when there was at least a couple expansions between each.
  15. Leex Pewpewer

Well then you get those mid/lower tier guilds getting upset that they can't raid the current expansion and they yell at the devs for feeding the top 10%..

It's a no win situation for them really, I feel for their situation, a little :p.
  16. Bamkan Augur

Here's my idea :)

You have a BIG BOSS.
    You have your raid. You also have another raiding party - maybe another 12 -20 NPC's.
    Both teams start off dpsing BIG BOSS. So your raid is doing XX amounts of DPS. The other NPCs are doing YY amounts of DPS. It's a DPS race on the big boss, but with a twist.
    Once your team has hit ZZ amount of total damage done, then the other team decides they are not going to win the DPS race and begins to attack you.
    As the big boss drops in HP's, then more AE's/mechanics come into play. So the more DPS you do on the big boss, means you'll get to defeat the enemy party early, while if you don't do enough dps you'll have to defeat the enemy party later on and also deal with the increase in the AE's.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Having been in those mid/lower tier guilds at before and during the change, I have to say that never actually happened. The only people who were actually complaining were those who planned to jump ship to a higher end guild as soon as they were geared well enough. For the most part, mid tier guilds were happy as long as they were able to progress. It was only after the Devs of that time started going back and changing how the mechanics of the 2-4+ year old raid content and mechanics worked making it infinitely harder that those guilds actually started dying out in favor of just doing group gear an ignoring anything but the newest content. Also, it was only after all raid guilds (excluding guilds who had rules on progressing thru content in order) were all within 1 or 2 expansions of the newest expansion that you had the 'low' and 'mid' tier guilds complaining about not having anything for them in the new expansion.

When the mid tier was 2-3 expansions behind the current expansion and the low tier was another 2 behind them, they generally did not have many complaints aside from that further progressed guilds would cherry pick their members. Group gear was horribly out of line for the content by the time TBS came out, and there needed to be a correction to address the crazy gap between group and raid that was forming (otherwise we would have had raid gear what it is today with group gear maybe just getting to where SoF raid gear was), but they went overboard with it over time. They could have kept group gear 3-4 expansions behind raid gear (and not increased raid gear in power nearly as much each expansion) and that would have preserved the gear tiers with the low and mid tier guilds tending to have a larger level range. Instead with the huge jumps raid gear would make each expansion group gear made larger jumps initially and ended up where the high, mid, and low tier heirarchy of yore died out; to be replaced by a hierarchy where high tier does the current expansion as it comes out, mid teir is just finishing the previous expansion as the new one comes out, and the low tier is just starting the previous expansion when the new one launches. So those people are definitely all going to expect content (at least 1 raid target) that they can do in the new expansion.
    Elricvonclief, Tarvas and Maurasi like this.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They used to do that; but it was called adds at X% of the Big Bosses health with AEs on a timer.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You guys don't seem to know what you are talking about. We have beat CotF 100s of times. We have beaten Arx Mentis 1 dozens of times. But moving beyond that we are stuck at. We have been stuck at it for 11 months.

Because of the level increase, the only way to get 105 focus items and 101 to 105 spells is Arx Mentis. There isn't anything else we can do. So we keep beating our heads against it.

Now, you can say that we don't deserve to beat it, that no one promised us it, and that, "It's easy, you guys just must suck if you can't do it", all you want. But the fact is that there are dozens of guilds in the same spot and people will quit EQ if they don't get something they can raid besides the same stuff they have done 100s of times.

Every person who quits is one less paying customer that helps pay for all of us to have our EQ. The game does not have six million players where we can ignore everyone because there are so many more.

But I'm beating a dead horse. You guys are all in your, "You don't deserve it", castles while the foundations are crumbling.
  20. Leex Pewpewer

The real reason you guys aren't beating it, is because of the guild leadership. For example, I was in a high/mid tier guild and one issue we had was healing..The guild leader would NEEEVER say anything to the Clerics because she didn't want to lose any of them..I get that and understand that Idea, some people get upset when you tell them how to play..But at some point you need to correct the bad behavior if you want to move on, period.

Lower/mid tier guilds should be using parses both DPS and healing to determine if everyone is doing everything they need to be. Once you guys are doing what you should it literally just comes down to strat. I'm not saying you guys suck, but you might be rough around the edges, it doesn't hurt to hold your players to a high standard.

If you want to beat more then just AM1 you need to push the effort from everyone in the guild..Using GINA or GTT or whatever is going to help you guys the most, along with voice chats.

I think everyone deserves the chance to beat end game content. But if you aren't willing to put in the work for it you won't. 54 players working hard and together isn't as easy to find as everyone thinks.

Fanra, maybe you should have a chat with your leadership/guild and do a brain storm night..Do lower end content and see who's lagging on the DPS parse, see who's lagging on the healing parse ( must have all tanks send heal parses to even get a somewhat accurate one ) see which tanks need a little extra help..