waiting in line fir over 30 minutes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by markkk, Jul 2, 2024.

1. markkk Lorekeeper

HI with the advancements in technology why are we still waiting to log into teek ?
    Allworth likes this.
  2. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

it's over 40m right now lol...
    Back to Day 1 of Teek!
  3. Xerzist Augur

Yeah its a bit frustrating.... told me 20 mins been 40. I honestly think games now are just torture devices on purpose but iykyk.
  4. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Game is still ran on a lot of code that's older than some of the players of this game. Or at least older than the way they behave.
  5. Allworth Augur

The message you get mentions something to the effect "The server has reached maximum capacity."

Does anyone know the actual number of players that constitutes maximum capacity?
  6. Cuzon Augur

I doubt they will give that information out.
  7. Captain Video Augur

Yes.

Hint: It varies by server.

Hint: There is also useful information on this topic in the test patch notes.
    Hint: Devs have less time to work on server performance issues right now because they are instead trying to look at every single item in the game to see if it's correctly flagged as free trade. I've heard some players are making lot of noise that it's more important.
    Hint: Teek is the most popular server in history, DPG has said so.
  8. Allworth Augur

It does? This doesn't make sense. Don't all the servers use the same technology?

Why would one server have a different maximum capacity of players than another?
  9. Irisa Journeyman

Do not know how they set them up...

But consider this, while they use the same technology, it is doubtful they have the same resources allocated.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Because some servers have more players than others. D'oh!. All EQ servers are virtual. DPG outsources cloud server operation to a service provider. Servers can have varying amounts of resources assigned to them, such as virtual memory, # of shards (multi-threaded CPUs) assigned to each, network bandwidth, etc. DPG pays monthly fees per server based on selected resources assigned to each, it's a sliding scale. Their contract details are proprietary and not available to players. I don't know them, but I can make educated guesses based on 35+ years as an IT pro with cloud computing experience.

Pro Tip: Every. Single. Live service game works this way, MMOs included.

Mid-Jan, I moved my long-time FF14 main to a new server. Why? Because Square launched, in one of their NA data centers, four brand new virgin (no players) servers in order to perform load-balancing in anticipation of a big crunch and substantial queueing at the launch of the their new Dawntrail expansion. The incentives I got for to move were: Free transfer, Free 1M gil, and a perm 100% XP bonus for all classes (jobs) up to level 90. Oh, and a chance to roll on newly-open housing. Did it matter? Queing on existing live servers on launch day was 1-2K players each server. Queueing on my new server on launch day was 5-10 players. 30 second login time tops.