VPN kick? Riftseeker's Sanctum.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Jalen007, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Jalen007 Lorekeeper

I box six toons on six different computers. I initially had an issue getting all six toons kicked offline when hitting my numpads. I have read about assigning the follow and assist hot keys on the hot bar to different numbers etc to reduce this, but it was happening so often, I bought a VPN subscription to stop the false broadcast kicks.

Today, I went to Riftseeker's Sanctum and upon clicking on the RS crystal in MPG to zone in, all Everquest apps just stalled out. I reloaded the apps and got to character select and attempted to log in again and got server timeouts on all comps.

I unloaded a VPN on one comp and had no issues what so ever loading in to RS. So, I unloaded the VPNs on all comps and got the entire group loaded into RS with no issue.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the this? It's not really a problem, as I'm just turning in signets and am waiting a few seconds between hitting any numbers on the numpads to avoid getting everyone booted from the game. However, if this starts happening in zones I play in, I'm going to start having issues playing again.

Anyone else that uses a VPN service having this issue?
  2. Derd Augur

Use of VPN is ,I'm fairly certain , not allowed.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

One of the early "packet altering" cheat software, looked like VPN from the outside. I think that is why VPN is banned.
  4. Jalen007 Lorekeeper

VPN = Virtual Private Network connection is perfectly fine to use with EQ. In fact, everyone should be using a VPN service, but I'm not going to go into the benefits of doing so here.

I believe you are confusing a VPN with a VM = Virtual Machine, which is not allowed with EQ.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Gialana Augur

When I was in school, I had to use their VPN to use some services from home. I would sometimes forget to log out of the VPN before starting EQ. However, it would always be quickly apparent because EQ would be very laggy.
  6. phattoni Augur

im not sure if vpn is fine, but its definitely not fine the way you are using it, you are trying to bypass the truebox code.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

OP is using 6 real computers, so it is not a bypass. Its more like a workaround for a bug in this case.

I think the intention of the truebox code was to to prevent largescale boxing though, So in a way he is stil going against the "truebox spirit". But thats just my personal opinion.
    DBG are being vague on purpose though...

Maybe VPN are banned because it can be used to spoof IP-adresses? Does DBG ban players based on IP-adresses, or are bans only account-based?
    I think there was a case a few years ago, where you could buy expansions cheap, if you could make the web-shop think you were from a poor country, by using a VPN. A lot of gifted expansions resulted in bans, I think it was EoK, but im not sure. Or was that only through Steam?
  8. phattoni Augur

i dont think they are willing to ban ip addresses, possibly ranges of ip address known to spam etc, but i dont think they ban vpns, i have used one a few times just forgetting to turn it off, and never had problems.

its possible its a port forwarding issue with the vpn, but thats just a guess.

ive never heard of them banning vpns, people use them to trick the truebox code with VMs all the time on tlps.

the reason i say he is doing something bad, is because the big boxers on servers like mischief use vpns to hide broadcasts, they will run 20 computers inside one computer using vms then use a vpn in each vm to make each vm look like a unique computer with a unique ip address. this way when they fire off broadcasts, its not detected. hence bypassing truebox.
  9. Jalen007 Lorekeeper

OK. Please take a moment and read the following official post from DBGs of what a Truebox server is and what its intent was from day one. This article does not apply to TLPs like Aradune, with it's two box limit, or the new relaxed Truebox servers, in which you can box three accounts at a time from the same computer.

https://www.everquest.com/news/phinigel-true-box-progression-server-dec-9-2015

Please pay attention to the quote and picture of acceptable boxing for Truebox server:

View the image of the person eight boxing on eight computers.

I fully realize there is a purist element within the EQ community that detest boxing, however, Truebox code was NEVER designed or intended to stop boxing. It was specifically designed to stop people from mass boxing and broadcasting from single computers. It was designed to stop the mass boxers and their disruption of TLP servers, especially pre-AOC TLP servers.

My setup is essentially a duplicate of the picture DBGs posted.

The problem I encountered, in the past, was that I was getting false broadcast kicks. This resulted in ALL my boxes on different computers simultaneously getting instantly kicked offline. This problem was brought to the attention of DBGs. Many people were experiencing the issue. Some people with two or more people in their homes playing together, but just playing one toon on one computer, were getting kicked. I was constantly getting the kick when six boxing. I do not believe this was intentional. I believe the code was introduced to kick players that were using some kind of 3rd party software to broadcast to all their boxes at the same time . . . one command going to several computers at the exact same moment in time.

It was buggy though and, in the end, not something DBGs fixed.

The only way to stop it from occurring was to use a VPN.

I do not doubt what you are saying about the people intentionally breaking the Truebox rules with VM and VPNs. However, just because someone is using a VPN, does not mean they are using VMs and VPNs to break Truebox rules.

Using a VPN within the guidelines of what is intended on a Truebox server is perfectly fine.

I only play one account on each of my computers.

I do not Broadcast.

I do not use Multiplicity, Input Director, or any KVM software or hardware. I have a mouse for each computer. I utilize wired numpads connected to laptops . . . one numpad for each laptop.

Now that we have that covered . . . can we get back to the original question posted . . .

Has anyone else had trouble zoning into Riftseekers while connected to a VPN?
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Is it specific for that zone?
    are you getting kicked from other zones too?

If it is zone specific, then it is probably a mistake by DBG...